Audio sync issues on recording of Nashville episode 4

RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Anybody watch live or record this episode? How was the audio sync?

Tonight we watched episodes 3 and 4 back to back from YV recordings. Episode 3 was fine, but in episode 4, the audio sync was so bad that when Rayna and her sister had a conversation, each had the other's voice, and the other's lines!

Pausing it seemed to improve things, and we were able to go back and replay that section and make more sense of it, but we never got the sync better than a word away, and sometimes two or three.

As we could affect the sync, it seems to us it must be a problem with the playback, and (maybe) not the recording or the transmission, but I thought I'd ask.

Checking this episode afterwards on 4OD, the sync was perfect, as was another, unrelated, recording we tried.

FWIW, this episode was recorded when our YV box had reset itself to Jan 2000, and it didn't put it in the Series folder for Nashville.

But we had an episode of Dallas recorded under the same conditions, and likewise not in its folder, and that had no sync problems.

So, just a one-off, we hope.

NB: we had our first experience of skip runaway while watching Nashville; More 4 has a lot of ads, so thank goodness FF worked, after a couple of times when Skip ran away clear to the end of the programme, even though I knew the 'press again' workaround, I just wasn't quick enough with it :-(
‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Comments

• CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 15 March 2013, 11:09AM
    I was watching The Mimic recorded from channel 4 and the audio sync was miles out but when I stopped it and came out after I resumed it was fine.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Looks like a box problem, then. But I don't think it's on Keith's list.

NB: I see I didn't mention above that this was sound over HDMI, nor that 5.1 is turned on for this connection; my bad. If it makes any difference, that is.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Do you think this sound sync issue is common? I had such sound sync issue on my old Humax 9300T but overall not seen such issues on the YouView box in general. I'll add it to the bugs list if people think it is a recurring issue from time to time.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 15 March 2013, 6:31PM
    What would help is if the audio delay setting was adjustable while viewing a programme so you could set it by eye and ear. This is how every other device I use does it rather than the suck it and see clunking in and out the settings menus to try and get it right.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 15 March 2013, 8:31PM
    Keith, I've only had it the one time I mentioned.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Me too, just the once. Deffo the box, though, as it was possible to improve it a bit, By pausing it and then pressing play again.