Manually add to start/end of recordings

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    aisha 31 minutes ago

Visionman said
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?

You feel that my suggestion that Simon could ask to be released from his ISP contract is socially and politically comparable to the destruction of human civilization?
    If you'll forgive me for saying, aisha, I was talking to Martin.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • edited 17 March 2013, 8:44PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The quote's meaning and use seem pretty obvious to me.
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?The Sixth Sense - I guessed the ending within minutes of the opening! But The Crying Game is a great film too.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 17 March 2013, 8:45PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?And there was me thinking YouView was just a box for recording and watching on demand.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 17 March 2013, 8:48PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?Martin - looking back, The Sixth Sense is obvious but the plot twist passed me by the first time.

Cicero - not sure what you mean.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?Sixth Sense - "I see dead Youview boxes...."
    edited 17 March 2013, 10:29PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?Just that the phrase "social and political allegory" seems a bit grandiose for the subject of YouView clipped recordings. Perhaps it's just me.
  • edited 17 March 2013, 8:52PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?Never mind the doll's head, I reckon had he looked hard enough, Heston's character would have found a YouView box crammed with TV goodies in those diggings.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?The Sixth Sense comment from drh - Ha ha ha! Class!
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 18 March 2013, 2:36PM
    Visionman said
    I'll take that as a yes. :-)

It really is only a PVR, you know.
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Martin 2 hours ago

Visionman 22 minutes ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?

Martin 26 minutes ago
    A very effective one too, and one of my most favourite films of all time.
    And you got exactly what I meant, from my tired and emotional response. And upon sober review, I stand by every word, too. Ah well...
    aisha 8 minutes ago

Visionman said

I'll take that as a yes. :-)
    It really is only a PVR, you know.
    Yet again you assume you are correct with everything you say. When in fact, you are only offering your opinion.

But no aisha. I am not suggesting your suggestion that Simon could ask to be released from his ISP contract is socially and politically comparable to the destruction of human civilization. That would just be silly.
    Visionman said
    Yet again you assume you are correct with everything you say. When in fact, you are only offering your opinion.
    What, about taking your reply as a yes, or about the YouView PVR being only a PVR?
    But no aisha. I am not suggesting your suggestion that Simon could ask to be released from his ISP contract is socially and politically comparable to the destruction of human civilization. That would just be silly.
    Certainly would. :-)
    edited 17 March 2013, 9:39PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago

Visionman 22 minutes ago

Martin 26 minutes ago
    And you got exactly what I meant, from my tired and emotional response. And upon sober review, I stand by every word, too. Ah well...As I said previously, I still don't get what you meant. I don't suppose you or Martin could explain?
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago

Visionman 22 minutes ago

Martin 26 minutes ago
    And you got exactly what I meant, from my tired and emotional response. And upon sober review, I stand by every word, too. Ah well...Hi Cicero, but no, best not. Because if the truth be told, my tired and emotional comment last night was actually representative of me going ballistic, in a polite kind of way, of course.
  • Chris__M2Chris__M2 Member Posts: 64
    edited 17 March 2013, 9:55PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?The Sixth Sense had a twist ending?
    edited 17 March 2013, 10:00PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago

Visionman 22 minutes ago

Martin 26 minutes ago
    And you got exactly what I meant, from my tired and emotional response. And upon sober review, I stand by every word, too. Ah well...That's fine of course Visionman, thanks for the reply, and I did sort of get it, although I am guilty of not having watched the film. But I was intrigued by Martin saying it seemed pretty obvious.
    Visionman said
    Hi Cicero, but no, best not. Because if the truth be told, my tired and emotional comment last night was actually representative of me going ballistic, in a polite kind of way, of course.
    What I thought.

Except I don't think it was polite at all, to jump in and spray exclamation marks and hyperbole at me for posting completely innocuous and intended-to-be-helpful comments addressed not to you but to Simon.

You could easily have just apologized, after you sobered up, instead you decided to sound off at me again.

Not very pleasant behaviour, in my opinion.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago

Visionman 22 minutes ago

Martin 26 minutes ago
    And you got exactly what I meant, from my tired and emotional response. And upon sober review, I stand by every word, too. Ah well...You don't know Martin, he is very clever. Everything is obvious to him, unlike what we lesser mortals are able to perceive.
    edited 17 March 2013, 10:21PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago
    The 1968 film Planet of the Apes is both a social and political allegory, is it not?Very good Chris__M.
    aisha 3 minutes ago

Visionman said
    Hi Cicero, but no, best not. Because if the truth be told, my tired and emotional comment last night was actually representative of me going ballistic, in a polite kind of way, of course.

What I thought.

Except I don't think it was polite at all, to jump in and spray exclamation marks and hyperbole at me for posting completely innocuous and intended-to-be-helpful comments addressed not to you but to Simon.

You could easily have just apologized, after you sobered up, instead you decided to sound off at me again.

Not very pleasant behaviour, in my opinion.
    Now thats more like it for a response!!

But it wasn't all about the sprayed exclamation marks and hyperbole. However, I stand by my allegory. And please remember aisha, your opinion is not a fact. It is only your opinion.
    edited 18 March 2013, 2:37PM
    Visionman said
    your opinion is not a fact. It is only your opinion.
    Opinion about what?
  • edited 17 March 2013, 10:51PM
    Visionman said:

Martin 2 hours ago

Visionman 22 minutes ago

Martin 26 minutes ago
    And you got exactly what I meant, from my tired and emotional response. And upon sober review, I stand by every word, too. Ah well...Well it's possible Visionman didn't mean what I thought he did. I'm happy to put my understanding into the public space and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

In the concluding seconds of Planet of the Apes, Heston's character Taylor discovers he's on Earth when he turns a corner on a beach and finds the remains of the Statue of Liberty.

At this stage proclaims:

"YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL"

In their quest for more and better, mankind destroyed their entire world, rendering it less habitable, more barren and less hospitable then in our time and themselves into dumb mutes who serve the Apes.

I had understood Visionman to be using the line as a warning against the potential downfalls of adding padding - the 'more and better' demanded by some on this forum.

If he didn't mean this, I'm sure he'll correct me but it did seem the obvious understanding of the post.
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    aisha 34 minutes ago

Visionman said

Opinion about what?
    Forty Two. And the services one experiences in life. Or should we blame YouView for that too?

CH5 doesn't use AR. And despite the protestations of their partners, in YouView, they never will do either.

Yet your recommendation to all users having this problem is "Complain to YouView. It's their fault." Urm... Really?
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    Visionman said:

aisha 34 minutes ago

Visionman said

Opinion about what?
    Forty Two. And the services one experiences in life. Or should we blame YouView for that too?

CH5 doesn't use AR. And despite the protestations of their partners, in YouView, they never will do either.

Yet your recommendation to all users having this problem is "Complain to YouView. It's their fault." Urm... Really?Just out of interest, how do you know they will never use AR? I don't recall seeing that written anywhere.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Visionman

Yet your recommendation to all users having this problem is "Complain to YouView. It's their fault." Urm... Really?
    No, I didn't suggest to Simon (who is hardly "all users", he's just one user) that he should complain to YouView, I suggested he could get another PVR, one with padding, so that he could record the programmes he wants to record without them being clipped.

Personally, I don't get clipped recordings, since I seldom record from C5, but then I don't have small children who want to watch Shaun the Sheep. A reasonable desire, for a five-year-old, and reasonable for a father to want to gratify it. Getting a PVR with either automatic or manual padding is a way to do that.
    Ooohh.. gratey.

And to make my point, what I have posted on the "Youview without an aerial" thread is both true and factual. Despite your shot in the dark advice, what I have said is true.
    You feel insulted because I suggested the OP in that thread could ring YouView Support for a definitive answer to his question?

Seems a little over-sensitive to me.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

Dear Samuel
    Thank you for your letter dated 11th March 2013 which has been passed to me by Richard Halton.

I note that you have contacted our call centre on a number of occasion and made multiple postings on our forum so clearly have a strong view on the issue of clipped recordings.

It is probably worth setting out a little history. When the YouView device was in architectural design it was decided that relying on real time triggers from broadcasters would provide a mechanism to record programs accurately. This is because this system allows not just for minor movements in scheduling, which can be catered for with padding, but also major schedule overruns, the sort of thing associated with live events which padding cannot deal with. In addition, because it is quite possible that viewers will wish to record multiple programmes back to back on different channels, padding in its simplest form can lead to additional clashes even though the box has two tuners. More advanced forms of padding increase the complexity of the implementation and don’t solve the problem completely.

Therefore I believe the decision was a sound one. However, in order for this method to work broadcasters do need to ensure that their on air triggers are accurate. As you note this is not always the case and can lead to some recordings having either the start or the end missing on occasion. We are aware of this and have a considerable volume of data about it and know exactly which programmes have historically been affected and which broadcasters transmit them. We are therefore working with broadcasters to see how the accuracy of their triggers can be improved and to ensure that they take into account the latency between the box receiving a command to start recording. We therefore believe that work already carried out and currently underway will improve the issues you refer to.

In terms of your proposed solution I am afraid that it is just not as simple as you assert and moving to a system involving automatic padding would require substantial reworking of the underlying YouView software (despite the assertion you include in your letter relating to your call with Humax) not least in order to manage the potential clashes referred to above. Therefore, we are not currently planning to address the clipped recording issue by adding automatic padding to recording durations, rather we are dealing directly with broadcasters to achieve improved performance on their broadcast triggers and this is where having them as shareholders really helps. If this approach does not yield a satisfactory result we may reassess our approach but it is just too early to do that right now. As I said we do know which programmes and which broadcasters are the issue.

Overall I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying YouView and the features that it has to offer. We do read forum posts and take feedback from our customers seriously though we have taken a policy decision to allow the forum to self-manage itself as far as possible so do not always respond on the forum. I believe our track record of innovation, as demonstrated by our past software releases, shows our commitment to taking feedback on board. We are working continually to enhance YouView to make it an even better viewer experience.

Your sincerely,

David Dorans

Chief Financial Officer

YouView TV Ltd. Third Floor, 10 Lower Thames Street, London, EC3R 6YT

He's proud of it :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    PPP QQQ said:

You feel insulted because I suggested the OP in that thread could ring YouView Support for a definitive answer to his question?

aisha 13 minutes ago

Seems a little over-sensitive to me..
    Water. Duck. Back.

The answer I gave was both true and factual.
    aisha 13 minutes ago

Water, duck, back. And despite your stab in the dark, the answer I gave was both true and factual on the other thread.

The very important point here is that I don't know everything. But neither do you..