can you change 4.3 Aspect ratio to16.9 on youview box not all channels affected

Comments

• bbstrikesagainbbstrikesagain Member Posts: 48
    edited 28 March 2013, 9:00PM
    redchiz said:

There are options available to those who want to watch with their TV picture distorted to fill the entire screen e.g. using SCART. The problem is not insurmountable, depending on the TV you have it might be more fiddly in some cases than others, but the choice is there.

There goes another, right on cue...

I don't see the same sort of answers to those asking for channel management - live with it, or ..the problem is not insurmountable, buy a super smart zapper and custom re-program the codes, or why would anyone want 101 next to 1...
    edited 28 March 2013, 9:06PM
    Madcotto said:

lol i love this topic on ALL the posts for it the argument has always gone out of control.

So with this id like a BEG the YouView Staff to make a Official comment on this issue (and indeed some others that can get heated).

once the official position of the YouView staff has been made ie they will consider this as a future option or they will never support this as a feature, then people can make the decision of is this a deal breaker for them and iver not buy/return box or get used to it.

untill then this issue is going go on and on and on.

personally their silence on this speaks volumes to me and they would rater have some rows about this then having it as a deal breaker at the point of sale.

I don't just want to see a possibly arbitrary decision (such as the original omission).. ..I want to see proper consideration for a feature that masses of the likely end user base will actually appreciate, which could only result in a commitment to address it. Like it or not, there are folk who want to fill their expensive real estate, for whatever reason. I'm sure the anti-choice lobby are just a vocal minority in all this.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 28 March 2013, 9:13PM
    Madcotto said:

lol i love this topic on ALL the posts for it the argument has always gone out of control.

So with this id like a BEG the YouView Staff to make a Official comment on this issue (and indeed some others that can get heated).

once the official position of the YouView staff has been made ie they will consider this as a future option or they will never support this as a feature, then people can make the decision of is this a deal breaker for them and iver not buy/return box or get used to it.

personally their silence on this speaks volumes to me and they would rater have some rows about this then having it as a deal breaker at the point of sale.

I entirely agree bbstrikesagain.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 28 March 2013, 9:26PM
    Madcotto said:

@bbstrikesagain im all for YouView supporting this and think i was the first person to bring this up. but as this forum is and how fragmented this discussion has got the only clear way forward is for YouView to break there silence on it. i have no dowt that they must be aware of it but at what level idk and in my eyes trying to get a official response will be the only way to see this happen.

im a 100% sure if all owners of the box were asked if they wanted this feature or were ok to see it as a feature as long as there choice wasent affected then that are against would be in the small minority. sadly them purly against are often the loudest.

this forum style does not help this happen.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Lbear1 said:

Here's a suggestion those of you who insist on watching distorted pictures might like to try.

By their very nature, these programmes are SD so why not also connect up the SCART lead and change your TV to that for "square" programming? This will enable virtually all TVs to alter the aspect ratio. The only problems you will get are the inability to use the on-screen menu/overlays and the possible need to switch from "stretch" to "zoom" or "centre cut out" for the channels that have started to revert to the practice of adding sidebars sometime consisting of out of focus elements from the picture.

Mark I - If you had that issue with SCART, it was because you still had an HDMI connection from the YV box. It's a bug, it's scheduled to be fixed some time, but if you pull the HDMI cable, SCART will then show the EPG
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

I think it's like Gay Marriage... Nobody really wants to force everyone to watch 4.3 stretched into a widescreen but some people seem bothered by it want to stop others from doing it so they keep posting negative comments.

Look at the post by Jerry Jackson at the top. He is right.

I vote for choice!

Hi BB

There are two things that make those of us who like the 4:3/16:9 thing as it is now a bit nervous of a change:

(i) There are many much more serious things wrong with the YV software, and we would like to see those fixed first, before this issue is addressed

and

(ii) Those of us who remember what it took to establish Delete Confirmation with an option to turn it off are apprehensive lest providing 4:3 goes the same way:

(a) DC was mandatory, and some people didn't like it
    (b) The Confirmation was removed, and it became too easy to lose recordings accidentally, especially from multiple keypresses
    (c) So YV added code to ignore multiple keypresses, which was better, but still not ideal
    (d) They finally did what they should have done at update (b) and added a Delete Confirmation On/Off setting, which satisfied everybody at last.

If you are new to YouView, you will have been spared the above, but some of us bear the scars - and the assertion that not doing (c) quite correctly is what is still causing the runaway FFs and skips is still hanging in the air.

So we are anxious that if YV do implement StretchyVision, they do it properly first time out, and don't subject us to a couple of intermediate misfires that mess things up to a greater or lesser extent.

To use your Gay Marriage analogy, it's fine for those who want it, but the rest of us would rather not be accidentally forced into it, as a misstep during its implementation :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Simon12 said:

Scart is not an option due to me having to chisel into the wall as my Plasma is wall mounted.

What's the other options??

Ah, I understand. Those of us who, among other things, specify cabling for a living, know to make all trunking about three times bigger than at first required, and never to implement any where you can't do a fresh pullthrough from either end without opening it :-)

But the SCART thing isn't necessarily meant to be the final, or only, solution; it's the immediate workaround for now, for those who want a fix right now. And after all, there's never going to be 4:3 HD, is there, so SCART will more than suffice.

Except that you have to fiddle around to put HDMI back for true 16:9 HD if you want to watch that, until they fix the 'no EPG on SCART when HDMI is connected' issue.
  • PerspixPerspix Member Posts: 10
    edited 29 March 2013, 12:33AM
    Simon12 said:

Scart is not an option due to me having to chisel into the wall as my Plasma is wall mounted.

Reminds me of the 1970's when my Dad would manually switch the coax between the Crystal Palace aerial and the Guildford aerial so we could watch Thames and Southern.

Progress?
    Mark I said:

Patronising commentary wrapped in humour aside. It would be helpful, to avoid further decent into acrimony, if YV would clarify where they stand on the matter of including an Aspect Ratio Output option in Settings.

- User choice or
    - No user choice

It is greatly to be desired that newbies familiarise themselves with the YouView Community Terms of Use before commencing to post here.

And a period of taking the temperature in here, and understanding the various posting styles of the existing denizens before rushing to judgement on them based on a few hour's acquaintance, would be no bad thing, either.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

There are options available to those who want to watch with their TV picture distorted to fill the entire screen e.g. using SCART. The problem is not insurmountable, depending on the TV you have it might be more fiddly in some cases than others, but the choice is there.

Excuse me?

What do you mean by "channel management?" The ability to configure the EPG in a manner of your own choosing? Otherwise, please correct me.

But how is that in any way comparable to what is being discussed here?
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Yet again, and as has been posted ad nauseam, I feel obliged to point out that the "problem" is surmountable. Hence why YouView perhaps do not feel obliged to comment.

Do stretchyvision naysayers only ever sit in the middle of an auditorium to watch a film? Do they tell others not to be daft and leave the auditiorium rather than watching from that corner seat? Do they bar loved ones from watching their own TVs from anywhere else than the sweat-spot in middle seat on the sofa? Do they not have visual corteces that are evolved for complex 3D visualisation and are perfectly capable of subconsciously performing all manner of complex transformations?

I honestly cannot see where all the no-choice fanaticism comes from...

bbsa

If I perspired a lot, I certainly wouldn't make my loved one sit only there. Even if she was only a sock puppet. So the answer is no.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Indeed. I think it is misdirected effort to tackle these Beach Boys features while there are so many Michael Jackson issues that need sorting out.
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM
    @redchiz,

I know you say its surmountable, but for a lot of us the proposed "solution" e.g. scart, is not an option.
    If it worked previously on my old (admittedly Scart attached) Freeview receiver, and it works fine (as a menu option) via HDMI on an old Sat receiver I have, then its technically possible to make it work on this set.

I see whats going on here, and is clearly evident in other threads on this forum.
    People have their own set of priorities when it comes to what they want fixed first.
    This isn't top of your list - and that's fine. So you'd rather YV pool their resources on the stuff that's important to you.
    I understand this. Its human nature.

There are others here who have different requirements and priorities, and this is higher on their list.
    The reason that you feel you have to repeat yourself "ad nauseum" is that the requirement is there, and people keep asking for it.
    Rather than everyone fight over whether its a problem or not, and clearly is ON HDMI for some (but not you), then lets all agree to differ and ensure the priorities are set in that thread with the list of main issues/enhancement-requests.

What this shows unfortunately yet again is that this forum is lacking in certain facilities, i.e in this case to add the requirement to a poll where people can vote for their favorites.
    Without this we continue with these circular arguments,

Peace.
  • cheekybettyboo@outlook.com[email protected] Member Posts: 10
    edited 29 March 2013, 9:02AM

I think it's like Gay Marriage... Nobody really wants to force everyone to watch 4.3 stretched into a widescreen but some people seem bothered by it want to stop others from doing it so they keep posting negative comments.

I vote for choice!

@Roy,

you say, "There are many much more serious things wrong with the YV software, and we would like to see those fixed first, before this issue is addressed".

Now I understand your your tactics. Perhaps I should do that as well and join those threads on features that you think important to you and say they are not and they should be ignored. After all its just a matter of perspective like you say.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    It is only not an option for you because you have made choices about your set up. Technically it *is* an option for you but you want the world to fit in with you rather than the other way round.
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM
    @Gomez,
    If I was the only one asking for this functionality on a single input your statement would be true..................however..........
  • Mark IMark I Member Posts: 15
    edited 29 March 2013, 10:15AM

I vote for choice!

So this topic, Roy, is something you are NOT interested in yet you come here to prevent other people's voices being heard.

This is precisely why people are becoming irate.
    edited 29 March 2013, 8:05PM
    gomez said:

It is only not an option for you because you have made choices about your set up. Technically it *is* an option for you but you want the world to fit in with you rather than the other way round.

Not an option at all. SCART output (from Huawei at least) is padded out with black sidebars too - I just tried it.
    edited 29 March 2013, 8:12PM
    gomez said:

bb what he saying is when you use a scart connection then your tv will prob now show the option to stretch on your tv
  • edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    I used to be a purist about this issue but since the plasma screenburn argument has arisen (http://community.youview.com/youview/...) I now think YouView should abandon the take-it-or-leave-it approach and offer an option of "stretchyvision".
    edited 29 March 2013, 8:49PM
    gwatuk said:

I used to be a purist about this issue but since the plasma screenburn argument has arisen (http://community.youview.com/youview/...) I now think YouView should abandon the take-it-or-leave-it approach and offer an option of "stretchyvision".

welcome brother, we shall teach you the secret handshake later
    edited 29 March 2013, 9:09PM
    gomez said:

He may be saying that, but it doesn't work that way..! There are aspect ratio options on the TV, but because of the black padding out (sidebars) that are already in the content, even with SCART, none of the TV's modes can fill the screen without serious head and foot cropping.

The TV itself did just fine by itself default with the very same broadcast, presenting it full screen and un-cropped, so anyone who doesn't deliberately over-ride the TV doesn't risk image retention and still sees the whole picture - a result that would suit many folk.

But, use the YV box, whether by SCART or HDMI, and the TV doesn't have a mode to extract 4:3 from a 16:9 padded out stream. Some may, but certainly my 2012 model doesn't. And why would it, when 4:3 content doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be, embedded in the centre of a 16:9 field.

Whatever, SCART is not the answer!!!
    edited 29 March 2013, 9:18PM
    redchiz said:

Yet again, and as has been posted ad nauseam, I feel obliged to point out that the "problem" is surmountable. Hence why YouView perhaps do not feel obliged to comment.

Surmountable how? Are you referring to the SCART suggestion? If so, forget it. SCART output is also corrupted by the needless padding-out of 4:3 and my TV for one doesn't have a mode that can de-pad it.

The only way to surmount the problem is to view the program through a different tuner, like the TV's own, one that doesn't insist on adding the sidebars... That sort of defeats the whole point of the YV box though - isn't it supposed to be the single do it all box that's so good everyone just uses that? A commendable aim, but it has a long way to go.
  • Ed SlackbladderEd Slackbladder Member Posts: 86
    edited 29 March 2013, 9:18PM
    gwatuk said:

Way to go!!!!
    edited 29 March 2013, 9:23PM
    Simon12 said:

Roy, SCART could be a temporary workaround if it worked, but I tried it and it doesn't solve the issue - mainly because the box even pads-out 4:3 before outputting it to SCART...
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    gwatuk said:

edited 29 March 2013, 10:05PM
    gwatuk said:

ahahah love it im off to show david ike
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    gwatuk said:

Surely if the black sidebars are embedded into the picture as some suggest, then they will not cause screen burn?
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Simon,

I did post elsewhere that I felt the reason this issue aroused such passion (not to mention repetition) is because of personal preferences, if you had read that then you may not have felt the need to expound at such great length here.

I am generally in favour of personal choice, which is a bit like saying I like fluffy bunnies, isn't it? Except where such choices may compromise other people's. Or where certain choices are in fact already available, but eschewed on what seems to be Andy from Little Britain behaviour: "want that one; don't like it."