solution for series link recording mutiple instances

Comments

• Flaggy FlagPantsFlaggy FlagPants Member Posts: 64
    edited 4 April 2013, 3:35PM
    Just "This channel only" or "all channels" would sort out around 90% of the issues that this creates.

Though MediaPortal isn't without it's own problems in this regard in my experience.

But something along these lines would reduce frustration surrounding this, and the need to have to delete surplus recordings.

It always seems ridiculous when it records something then records the +1 version immediately after it.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    It would be. Mine doesn't do that; are you sure yours does?

But recording the +1 channel to resolve a clash, or to deal with a failed recording on the intended channel, is very useful, and it's a capability your suggestion would negate.
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
  • jayangelusjayangelus Member Posts: 7
    edited 5 April 2013, 8:57AM
    Hi,
    Just to confirm when my box series records, for example, eastenders on BBC1 [defaults to hd] and records successfully.
    Later on, the same day, it then records the same episode repeated on BBC3.

I mention media portal as I used to have BT vision and their box did the same thing on series recording - original box (test user). I got so feed up I got a dual tuner card and switched over to media portal, which we were happy with. Although i agree its still not perfect.

But I have also experienced the same situation with other soaps ie coronation street being series recorded on ITV2 the next day.

I am happy to take screen shots / video to document this behavior.

I agree that the feature to pick up a recording later on, to cover for a failed recording is a great idea.
    But this is not the situation and some times leads to new conflicts occurring and stops you for scheduling new recordings, until you delete the extra one occurring from series links.

Kind regards
    Jamie
  • jayangelusjayangelus Member Posts: 7
    edited 4 April 2013, 9:55PM
    Roy1 said:

It would be. Mine doesn't do that; are you sure yours does?

But recording the +1 channel to resolve a clash, or to deal with a failed recording on the intended channel, is very useful, and it's a capability your suggestion would negate.

If my suggestion was via a sub menu it could be made optional ie allow the user choose which behavior to prefer. But a valid point about recording on other channels to enable programs that had previously failed to record to be recorded.

Thanks for the input
    Kind regards
    Jamie
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The intention is that the East Enders repeat on BBC3 should have the same Series Id and Episode (Programme) Id as the first showing on BBC1, and that the box will detect this, so as not to re-record it if it has already had it, or to record it if the recording of the first showing failed for some reason.

I say 'has had it', as even if you watch and delete the recording of the first showing before the second showing happens, the box should retain the memory that you did have it, so as not to record it again unnecessarily.

This process will fail if the BBC code these programmes wrongly, or if your YV box is not working correctly.

You (or YouView) would have to ask the BBC how they coded those EE showings, to see if they got that wrong.

If not,, try rebooting your box, which cures many ills; if the problem continues, you may need a replacement.

One thing - the BBC3 showing, if coded correctly, will have an 'R' against it, to show that you have a recording of it, but this does not mean you will have an actual duplicate recording. It isn't this you are seeing, is it?
    I have a low opinion of people who press the Disagree button instead of engaging in reasoned debate. 
    I have an even lower opinion of YouView’s continued policy of letting such people hide behind the cloak of anonymity.
  • Flaggy FlagPantsFlaggy FlagPants Member Posts: 64
    edited 5 April 2013, 8:57AM

Hi,
    Just to confirm when my box series records, for example, eastenders on BBC1 [defaults to hd] and records successfully.
    Later on, the same day, it then records the same episode repeated on BBC3.

I mention media portal as I used to have BT vision and their box did the same thing on series recording - original box (test user). I got so feed up I got a dual tuner card and switched over to media portal, which we were happy with. Although i agree its still not perfect.

But I have also experienced the same situation with other soaps ie coronation street being series recorded on ITV2 the next day.

I am happy to take screen shots / video to document this behavior.

I agree that the feature to pick up a recording later on, to cover for a failed recording is a great idea.
    But this is not the situation and some times leads to new conflicts occurring and stops you for scheduling new recordings, until you delete the extra one occurring from series links.

Kind regards
    Jamie

I feel somewhat blessed in the 3 months I've had my unit, and recording at least one thing every day, I've never had one failed recording.

If I was experiencing failed recordings regularly, I plain wouldn't use the thing and would be utterly disappointed in it.

As I was with the 2 previous PVR's I've owned. One I scrapped but stripped it of it's HDD which is now in my PC, the other I returned to the store a few weeks after buying it.

Failed recordings should not happen. And should be addressed way higher priority than anything else I've seen.

As it's a fundamental function of the system. How many of us would be happy buying a new car that only started 29 times out of 30? But then put up with that because at least we could still sit in it and listen to the radio.
  • edited 5 April 2013, 9:05AM
    Roy1 said:

The intention is that the East Enders repeat on BBC3 should have the same Series Id and Episode (Programme) Id as the first showing on BBC1, and that the box will detect this, so as not to re-record it if it has already had it, or to record it if the recording of the first showing failed for some reason.

I say 'has had it', as even if you watch and delete the recording of the first showing before the second showing happens, the box should retain the memory that you did have it, so as not to record it again unnecessarily.

This process will fail if the BBC code these programmes wrongly, or if your YV box is not working correctly.

You (or YouView) would have to ask the BBC how they coded those EE showings, to see if they got that wrong.

If not,, try rebooting your box, which cures many ills; if the problem continues, you may need a replacement.

One thing - the BBC3 showing, if coded correctly, will have an 'R' against it, to show that you have a recording of it, but this does not mean you will have an actual duplicate recording. It isn't this you are seeing, is it?

Roy has it exactly right, the YouView box does NOT record every showing of a single episode by default.

If it has recorded a show more than once it will be because the EPG data supplied by the broadcaster was wrong or the originally recording wasn't 100% successful.
  • Steve MullinsSteve Mullins Member Posts: 58
    edited 15 January 2017, 8:13PM
    Would it be too hard for broadcasters to have a numeric value in the 'about this programme' ie 's1/e3' = series 1 episode 3 - much like streaming services or pirate sites - which make series watching 400% easier than series linking legally in your freeview PVR! Just an idea
  • HydeTheDarkerSideHydeTheDarkerSide Member Posts: 247
    edited 3 March 2014, 4:22PM

It just needs the broadcasters to follow the specification for applying crid data to the programmes correctly.  Since Youview insist on allowing the broadcasters to get their N&N time stamps correct than provide the ability to pad recordings I very much doubt they'll introduce code to deal with faulty application of series and episode crid data.