YouView App

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

I too would like a Windows App for my HTC and my husband has a Nokia Lumia Windows too.

M&M: citations, please, supporting the statements you make here?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 28 March 2013, 5:34PM
    Betty Boo :"But Apple users are more likely to be fickle teenagers so I don't understand their logic."

Mark I : "-iOS users are often 20-somethings or tech unaware people looking for social status. "

Interesting statistics on the demographic of Apple users. What would be more interesting would be to see any evidence of these claims. They seem pretty spurious to me. I'm not sure what is to be gained by belittling the OS choice of other people.
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM

I too would like a Windows App for my HTC and my husband has a Nokia Lumia Windows too.

@Mark I.
    You made that lot up didn't you.
    Come on - be honest :)
  • Mark IMark I Member Posts: 15
    edited 28 March 2013, 6:57PM

@Simon
    Paragraphs 2,3 and 4 - yes.
  • deejaygavdeejaygav Member Posts: 14
    edited 20 June 2016, 7:39PM
    I have found a workaround to get the app working until the fix is released.

Once the app opens and starts displaying the guide tap on a programme and after it changes screen tap the guide button and the app should work fine again.
  • PerspixPerspix Member Posts: 10
    edited 28 March 2013, 11:59PM
    The solution to this App madness would be a html5 browser tool. PC, Mac, iPot, iFad, WP, Android all supported with one dev.

But no, Apps are cool. Have to have an App to look hip.
  • PerspixPerspix Member Posts: 10
    edited 29 March 2013, 12:35AM

"You made that lot up didn't you"

Yeah, but he's probably characterised it pretty well. No-one would deny that iOS users are on average less tech savvy than Android geeks.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 29 March 2013, 12:40AM

I can think of many people who would challenge that sweeping generalisation.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    No-one would deny that iOS users are on average less tech savvy than Android geeks.

What a biased, offensive and ignorant point of view. Which makes me feel that Android users deserve everything they get. Or not, in the case of Apps, obviously.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 29 March 2013, 1:02AM
    Of course us iOS and Android refuseniks are the most considered and careful users of the lot.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Does this help?

http://recombu.com/digital/news/youvi...

"The hybrid TV service will also add the Android version of its remote record app, before enhancing it with accessibility and remote control features."
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

Perspix I'm sure you are right that iOS users are on average less tech savvy than Android geeks. But that's a loaded comparison. I suspect that iOS geeks are quite as tech-savvy as Android geeks, and possibly more so, given the much greater obstacles Apple throws in their path than Google does with Android.

But below that exalted level, there is a thin layer of people who love modding their Android phones with what their geeks put out, and a very much thinner layer of iOS modders.

As most iOS users, and indeed most Android users, just get on with using their device as delivered, instead of playing about with its internals.

But if Android was purely a geek's toy, as you seem to imply, then they would sell in the numbers that the Raspberry Pi sells in - respectable enough, but orders of magnitude below the actual sales that Android devices achieve.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Simon12Simon12 Member Posts: 391
    edited 1 October 2015, 10:08AM
    @ Visionman

Interesting article. As someone with a disabled child, the commitment to accessibility is to be applauded.
  • edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    And here's another contribution to this four page thread...

Smiley
    Android up 13%, iOS down 7%, BlackBerry down 81% ... and Windows Phone up a massive 52%
    Read more at: http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/01/and...
    (From Kantar Worldpanel who are a serious organization.)
    Smiley
    gwatuk said:

Smiley
    Android up 13%, iOS down 7%, BlackBerry down 81% ... and Windows Phone up a massive 52%
    Smiley

Of course Windows Phone is up 52% Steve Ballmer went out and bought another one :-)
  • TechnogranTechnogran Member Posts: 152
    edited 6 April 2013, 11:25AM
    gwatuk said:

Smiley
    Smiley

That's not funny...........;)
  • DJ BILINGSDJ BILINGS Member Posts: 172
    edited 6 April 2013, 11:30AM
    gwatuk said:

Smiley
    Smiley

lots of the comments are unhelpful to people who have serious questions and want to make sure Youview is working best for the people that spend money, I am having to unsubscribe to this forum because silliness and I am getting messages in my in box like Technogran a minute ago
    That's not funny...........;) I don't know who Steve Ballmer is roy and only want issues about genuin youview issues, clearly this forum is not monitored and lets its genuine youview customer / consumers down.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    gwatuk said:

Smiley
    Smiley

Samuel, this is a community forum. It is not primarily a support forum although it often does a very good job of member-to-member support.
    It is enlivened by those with a sense of humour.
    If you find this distracting then you may find the TalkTalk Members Forum or the BT Care Community Forum more to your taste.
    Personally as a TalkTalk customer I find this forum considerably more informative than the TalkTalk forum.
    I also find the arguments that often get out of control on this forum far more annoying than the humorous posts.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 6 April 2013, 12:59PM
    gwatuk said:

Smiley
    Smiley

Samuel, that was funny, and you can google to see who Steve Ballmer is. Also you can set up your profile so that you don't receive emails for each post. That must be better than unsubscribing as you do get useful information here as well as "silliness".
    gwatuk said:

Smiley
    Smiley

Samuel, at least you will find that all my postings are different (apart from 'Switch off at back.....etc., where each is relevant to the thread it is posted in), and generally no longer than they need to be.
  • Andy BushAndy Bush Member Posts: 64
    edited 19 September 2017, 7:05AM
    Come on folks, can we stop this, let Samuel do what he likes, this is filling up the thread with irrelevant comments

I would rather YouView just sorted the reported problems out, rather that us bickering amongst ourselves.

I think they probably have enough feedback now that its users want apps on all the main mobile platforms, and am sure they can do the market and user research themselves to confirm our views
  • MonkeyMonkey Member Posts: 8
    edited 17 April 2013, 11:25AM
    Just another vote for Winphone 8 app plese.
  • Sandra HendersonSandra Henderson Member Posts: 6
    edited 18 April 2013, 8:53AM
    I use a dumb old mobile but always have my RT tablet with me. So please provide an App for PC/RT.

Surely, more people have a Laptop, Mac, or Windows Tablet than an iPhone so you can reach more customers that way and the visually impaired like me can use it.

Not everyone uses or can use an iPhone. Please make your product more widely accessible to more people.
    I am sorry, but think Windows RT may be low on their priority list. Try googling "is windows rt dead"

We may be pleasantly surprised, I hope so!

Andy
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 18 April 2013, 9:31AM
    Windows RT is not dead yet, certainly the early devices were not compelling though.
    Just relaying market feeling, and I am sure YouView will look carefully at the take-up and plans. There are lots of rumours around, see below some info from a well respected market analyst

Windows RT in its current form looks doomed.

§ When Samsung pulls its RT products, everyone will and I have also seen many product roadmaps shut down all together.

§ I have discussed the problem in detail in a previous post but in a nutshell, Windows RT fails because although it looks like Windows 8, it does not behave like Windows 8.

§ This has led to consumer confusion, disappointment and virtually no sales.

§ I am a big believer in Windows on ARM as it offers a more power efficient, cheaper alternative to Intel that should allow ultrabooks and tablets to penetrate further into the mass market.

§ For the first time in over 20 years the WinTel monopoly has been broken and the consumer stands to be a major beneficiary.

§ The problem is the limited functionality of the Windows on ARM devices and until this is fixed Windows on ARM is going nowhere.

§ The good news is that there is a new release of Windows that should debut this year (Windows Blue) and the supply chain is saying that this version should have Windows RT merged into it.

§ This is the second time I have heard this from a completely separate source and so I am beginning to hope that it is true.

§ However, if this is another fudge like Windows 8 / RT was then it will be yet another failure.

§ The pre-requisite for Windows on ARM to take off is that a consumer cannot tell the difference between a device running ARM and a device running Intel when it comes to function.

§ All he should notice is a lower price tag, no fan assisted cooling and a longer battery life.

§ Windows Blue is due to be shown at the Microsoft Build Developer Conference June 26-28.

§ I am hopeful that Windows RT will vanish leaving just full fat Windows that will run on either processor.

§ The problem of legacy software still has to be fixed, but with a credible offering on ARM, I can see developers being more willing to release their software for both processors as well as porting older software onto ARM.

§ I am also looking for signs of harmonisation of Windows Phone and Windows 8 which currently run on different kernels and are not as compatible as they look.

§ Should I not be disappointed, then I can see the Windows on ARM proposition rise from the ashes to contend once again with the mainstream.

Dr. Richard Windsor PhD CFA

Radio Free Mobile

Fixed: +44 20 323 99904

Mobile: +971 56 1142 482

Twitter: @RadioFreeMobile

[email protected]

www.radiofreemobile.com
  • chunkypiratechunkypirate Member Posts: 1
    edited 25 November 2014, 5:52PM
    +1 for a Windows Phone 8 app please :-)
  • Peter Thompson1Peter Thompson1 Member Posts: 15
    edited 19 June 2013, 1:32PM
    And another for Windows Phone please!
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM
    Piers, any update on the Android app, I did read somewhere that it was coming out in two weeks but that was about three weeks ago.

MattMan
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:55PM
    MattMan said:

Piers, any update on the Android app, I did read somewhere that it was coming out in two weeks but that was about three weeks ago.

MattMan

The last info was from Piers over in the android thread saying "very end of June is still looking likely"