Auto standby [never option]

Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
In the last software update the 'never' option was taken away for whatever technical reason. I miss it and should imagine others do.
Will we get it back in the October update? if not, when will it return?

Comments

• StargateStargate Member Posts: 40
    edited 23 September 2012, 8:53AM
    Yes plus one on that.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    very annoying and also its stated in the manual that comes with the box, yes i actually looked at this after setting up lol +1
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 11 December 2016, 10:58AM
    Madcotto said:

very annoying and also its stated in the manual that comes with the box, yes i actually looked at this after setting up lol +1

The that manual came with the box is a bit basic, I wonder if Humax have a proper one.

What is being shipped with the retail version?
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 23 September 2012, 9:27AM
    Madcotto said:

its a youview branded manual which im guessing will ship with all makes of boxes. its nice and glossy and very very dumbed down. i have it packed away atm but mb there a pdf version on the net
  • northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 22 February 2017, 5:07PM
    Our friends from YV stated after the last software update that they were working to bring it back but I dont think they mentioned when .. sooner the better from a personal point of view
  • Simon FutcherSimon Futcher Member Posts: 3
    edited 27 October 2012, 9:07PM
    New Youviewer (BT upgrade on Wednesday)

I have posted on another post, but think it would be nice to have the option to turn it off.... my poor old Mum sat in silence for an hour last night because she thought the TV had gone off at the transmitter.... and I wondered what had happened tonight for 10 mins... only to realise it had switched itself off.
    i hope this option will be re instated in the software update this week and YV havent taken their eye off the simplicity ball by devoting too much time on developing such things as setting recording remotely apps
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    I would expect given that they presumably had specific reasons for removing it in the last update that they may not wish to simply reintroduce the never option this time around (unless of course the reasons were based purely on some bug/issue that they have since fully addressed).

However, one could speculate that having listened to customer feedback they would now find some middle ground for the software update on 30/10/2012, e.g. maybe introducing additional inactivity standby time options of say 8 or 12 hours. This would broadly address the needs of those that do not want the box going off when they leave it on throughout the day. Maybe others want it on permanently though although they may equally be happy with such a longer setting combined with low eco mode for a fast 15-20 second startup each day.
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    My old mum is finding it very annoying as am I.

It wouldn't be so bad if the boot-up time was faster...

Hope it's sorted in the update...
    start up time has never bothered me, never that impatient, but feel something that was removed during last software update and promises made to reinstate it as soon as possible should be given priority over new things such as reducing start up time by 20 sec ( which is neither here or there) and a remote recording app
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    For those following this topic, the software update scheduled for today (30/10/2012) is now out (although your box may not automatically update until tonight but you can try a manual update if keen).

The update contains various improvements. Whilst the never option as requested on this topic has not been reinstated they have added a 12 hour options.
  • OwdbootsOwdboots Member Posts: 3
    edited 22 April 2013, 6:10PM
    Still a problem after the original post some 7 months ago. I am a new user with the same problem with a BT supplied Box, and today April 22 2013 I am told by Youview support that " 'Never' is not an option,(no explanation why) but "try a 'Soft reboot' on the box, to do this keep your finger on the power button on the front of the Youview box for 8 seconds and then let go"
    Not sure what this is supposed to do, but I interpret it as meaning that you can do something on the box, but not on the remote, which sounds retrograde to me.
    My box is set to 12 hours, but I still get the problem, and nowhere does Youview say when the 12 hours starts from. I am rapidly becoming disenchanted with this piece of hardware..
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Hi Owdboots. Can you explain the problem you're having? The reason I ask is that this thread is about a request for a longer "idle to standby time", (including never), and we've added 12 hours which we think solves the problem for most people, and there have been no comments for 6 months.

To answer your question about when the timer starts, it's from the last time that you press a key on the remote or the front panel. If you've not touched any keys for e.g. 12 hours, the warning message appears and counts down to standby. You can stop this by pressing any key so the device only goes into standby if you're not there. (or you're asleep!).
    edited 23 April 2013, 12:13PM
    Sorry if I've used the wrong thread, but my problem is that although I have set the box to 12 hours, it still goes into standby within that period. I can't give an exact time, as obviously we don't record when we last used the remote. The guidance from Youview support was to carry out a 'Soft Start' but I'm not sure if this is a proposed one-off solution, or I need to do it regularly. Life would be much simpler if there was a 'Never' option, which I understand was removed some while ago.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    It's definitely a defect if your YouView box goes to standby before 12 hours from the last key press. Sorry that you're experiencing that, but it doen't seem to be a common one.

Do you see the message at the top of the screen about the box going in to standby soon with a countdown timer? If not, your problem may not be related to auto-standby.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 23 April 2013, 2:07PM
    Owdboots, are you sure it's not your TV going into standby rather than the YouView box?
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 23 April 2013, 3:09PM
    Just curious as to why a button does not get pressed for such a long time? The longest I have gone is two hours or so watching a film. And that was unusual for me as I didn't need to pause playback at least once for a custom break.

As a rider ro Cicero's question could CEC lead the TV going into standby telling the Youview box to also go into standby?
    edited 23 April 2013, 6:08PM
    That's the basis of the whole problem, The set is not left untouched for 12 hours, it is used normally, channels are changed, along with the volume control on numerous occasions, and it doesn't get to 12 hours before turning off.
    It is connected to a Sony TV, and I have checked with Sony, who say the TV is not causing the problem.
    The last time it happened, we had left the room, only to find the box had shut-down when we came back, so I can't be sure if a message was shown on the screen, but
    I will wait and try and see what message, if any, is shown on the screen before it shuts down the next time.
    Thanks to everyone for your asistance.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 23 April 2013, 7:13PM
    So it could be a toddler or cat sitting on the remote control or brushing against the front panel?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I wonder if it's an over temperature shutdown? Is your box well ventilated? Is the fan running? Can you feel warm air coming out the back? Does the box feel very hot just after shutting down?
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • norman summerfieldnorman summerfield Member Posts: 2
    edited 25 April 2013, 9:24PM
    It is a pity the Youview device is so flaky, with missed or failed recordings and frequent misses of the start and / or end of many recordings. Although Sky is too expensive, it does do what is expected and often much better.

I feel sure the preceding issues could be mitigated by allowing users to control various settings as are available on my satellite receiver, such as adding to start / end of programmes I find the 'failed' recording message too frequent and use Sky for things I do not want to miss.
  • Andy RichAndy Rich Member Posts: 2
    edited 9 September 2013, 12:08PM
    It is annoying that the box turns itself off, i like mine on 24/7 so when its 7pm and ive just walked in, i want to watch coranation street instantly not wait for a box to turn on at all, it should be my choice to burn electric or not