Please can we have control over video resolution in HD? Auto setup gets my TV wrong & I cannot chang

Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
edited 17 February 2017, 12:01PM in Archived Posts
Can you please give us control over video resolution? My YouView box incorrectly guesses my tv as 1080p when it is only supposed to do 720p, so I get a line above the picture and it drives the panel too hard. Having a simple setting in the settings would solve this as my previous pvr did. It is the only thing stopping me from being completely happy with my youview box :-)

Comments

• Jesse1Jesse1 Member Posts: 275
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:30AM
    Hi Matt, thanks for posting. We’re looking into your query and will get back to you with a response as soon as possible.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Member Posts: 275
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:30AM
    Hi Matt. We're sorry to hear that you're having problems. Fortunately we will be adding resolution options in a future release.
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 23 September 2012, 3:16PM
    Great! Many thanks :) I wonder if it will be in the October one?
  • BaxterBaxter Member Posts: 2
    edited 17 February 2017, 12:01PM
    I had a similar experience - my TV is 570i (I think) and when I first started to use the Humax box I got no picture through HDMI, and as the install screens are silent - I actually thought I'd got a faulty Humax box as nothing appeared to happen when I turned the Humax on. It was only when I tried using the scart lead that I saw the install screens and realised the TV was having trouble handling the 1080p thru the hdmi. This is not a complaint, and is probably due to me having an older HD TV - I just wonder how many folks will also think the box isn't working and try and get a refund because they aren't as persistent as I am!
  • darucladarucla Member Posts: 52
    edited 24 September 2012, 4:27PM
    If the TV has an HDMI socket and calls itself HD, it should be capable of at least 720P. 576i is actually SD. You possibly have a handshake problem, which may be solved by switching the TV on before the YV, or the other way around. Or try a different HDMI lead (need not be expensive), just in case the one you have is the source of the problem.

It should work, in brief.
  • jamescridlandjamescridland Member Posts: 11
    edited 29 July 2016, 4:02PM
    My Sony television sometimes reports that it's 1080i (which produces a lovely picture), and sometimes reports that it's 720p (which makes for a really nasty-looking upsampled SD image). Looking forward to being able to tell YouView to go into 1080i mode all the time.
  • Ryan1Ryan1 Member Posts: 29
    edited 9 October 2012, 12:13AM
    I would really like the ability to select p (Progressive) or i (Interlaced). I personally like the sharpness and smoothness of motion when using Interlaced but the YouView uses P with my Panasonic Plasma connected through my AV Receiver.
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 9 October 2012, 5:58AM
    Youview incorrectly sends 1080i 60Hz to my TV instead of 1080i 50Hz - that result in jerky playback / dropped frames - very distracting and irritating for me - and unless fixed I'll have to abandon Youview.

The HD picture also seems to be softened by the conversion to 60Hz, which make it appear lower resolution (ie no longer HD).

Its a serious issue in my mind - I'm not getting the quality resolution and picture I have paid for.

Adding the ability to over-ride automatic settings would resolve this issue (though the bugs really needs fixing as soon as possible).

There may be two bugs, one because it sends 60Hz in the first place, another in the poor picture conversion to 60Hz).

Huawei Youview receiver from TalkTalk
    and Hitachi 42PD7200 television.
    edited 11 October 2012, 8:44AM
    Please can YouView confirm this update will become available in the subsequent TalkTalk Youview release for the Huawei box? In addition will the display settings allow setting of 50Hz instead of 60Hz so as to avoid the box (badly) converting the signal to 60Hz presumably because it thinks that is all my TV supports?
    edited 11 October 2012, 12:03PM
    I am sure I saw on one thread that it will be in the next update. Youview have already stated that updates are the same for all models, it's just that talk talk want to add a bit after it is released, before they send it out to their boxes.
    edited 11 October 2012, 3:22PM
    Matt F said:

I am sure I saw on one thread that it will be in the next update. Youview have already stated that updates are the same for all models, it's just that talk talk want to add a bit after it is released, before they send it out to their boxes.

Hopefully so - though I don't know if you'll be able to change the refresh rate back from 60Hz that the box is incorrectly choosing for me to 50Hz.
    edited 11 October 2012, 8:33PM
    Matt F said:

I hope it does include refresh rates.. this made such a dramatic difference to smoothness in my previous pvr.
  • Ken1Ken1 Member Posts: 4
    edited 26 April 2013, 10:47AM
    Baxter said:

I had a similar experience - my TV is 570i (I think) and when I first started to use the Humax box I got no picture through HDMI, and as the install screens are silent - I actually thought I'd got a faulty Humax box as nothing appeared to happen when I turned the Humax on. It was only when I tried using the scart lead that I saw the install screens and realised the TV was having trouble handling the 1080p thru the hdmi. This is not a complaint, and is probably due to me having an older HD TV - I just wonder how many folks will also think the box isn't working and try and get a refund because they aren't as persistent as I am!

I get a black screen when I try to use the HDMI / DVI output on my (old) 720p TV whichever resolution I choose. Hopefully a frequency selection option in the Huawei box menu will help if ever available.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 856 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2016, 10:55AM
    Baxter said:

I think you probably have an HPCD issue. there are devices you can purchase that strip HPCD encryption, but they're quite expensive.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 26 April 2013, 11:08AM
    Baxter said:

Normally a frequency of 50Hz is needed, but the box sometimes defaults to 60Hz. There is a "HDMI Display Setting" option available on the Huawei box TV and Signal Quality menu. You can choose from 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Chosing one of these options also automatically sets the frequency to 50Hz.

The problem might be getting to these settings if you have no picture. I guess you can either use SCART or another TV to work around that and set the required HDMI display setting.

If you have tried all these settings, maybe either your box or the TV is faulty or incompatible.