Movie icons on the EPG

Tom1Tom1 Member Posts: 36
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
How about movie icons on the EPG? MyStuff on the Toppy had this and I found it useful when browsing. The relevant EPG data must exist so it should be simple to implement.

Comments

• Jesse1Jesse1 Member Posts: 275
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Tom, thanks for your feedback. We’ll keep your suggestion in mind as we continue to work on improving the features and functionality of the YouView service.
  • tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    +1 for Movie/genre icons.
  • Andy12Andy12 Member Posts: 5
    edited 17 November 2012, 1:47AM
    +1 for this. Would also be good to have the same for repeats.
  • Ian Brown1Ian Brown1 Member Posts: 50
    edited 31 December 2016, 8:06PM
    This is one of my top 2 improvements (along with having a guide which showed programme synopsis without pressing the i button. I used to use a Toppy and recorded many films for future viewing. I almost never record films on the Youview box because it is just too hard to find them when you browse through the guide. If the guide showed an icon for type of programme (film, news etc.) as the Toppy did it would be a great improvement.
  • Mikey1Mikey1 Member Posts: 29
    edited 21 December 2012, 11:54PM
    Would be clearer and better looking if each channel in the guide had it's logo next to it like Freesat have recently introduced
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    This is a similar subject to channel logos in the epg.
    See channel_logos_on_guide where you'll find arguments for and against.

Personally I'm strongly against.
    I'd like to see the epg much more compact so that it shows more channels and a greater time span.
    Introducing logos or icons would probably work against that.
  • Mikey1Mikey1 Member Posts: 29
    edited 22 December 2012, 12:12AM
    Like a topic i just put on as an idea, the genre option would benefit you then as this would condense it to the particular area of programme you are looking for - topic (Genre option)
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Given a choice, I would prefer getting much more in the EPG, but would like to see the logos, as well. (want my cake and eat it time). I would have thought the 2 were not necessarily mutually exclusive .....
  • Ben Gorman1Ben Gorman1 Member Posts: 13
    edited 8 September 2015, 9:51AM
    + 1 for movie logos and channel logos! They have it on Tvguide.co.uk and it doesn't take up much space but is very handy.
  • Jonathan TumeltyJonathan Tumelty Member Posts: 4
    edited 4 May 2013, 10:14AM
    Yeah- great idea! Miss having that function (previous fox t2 box) and it seems counter intuitive to check the papers/internet to see what films willbe on this week when there's an epg on the box
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Filter?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
    edited 4 May 2013, 11:28AM
    Filters would be a good way of listing movies, documentaries etc.
  • WillisWillis Member Posts: 8
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    It's still surprising th at features from a coming-developed add-on (MyStuff) to an old PVR (Topfield) that don't get covered. MyStuff was a masterclass in refining design, based on community feedback within tight technical constraints, but as it was not done for profit, it was all user-driven.

It's surprising there's not been a FreeView + online TV system that's as open/flexible as the Topfield... ...it would be amazing if YouView opened up the user experience to 3rd party improvement, but there's probably too many business interests to juggle/protect to open up YouView fully...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Willis said:

It's still surprising th at features from a coming-developed add-on (MyStuff) to an old PVR (Topfield) that don't get covered. MyStuff was a masterclass in refining design, based on community feedback within tight technical constraints, but as it was not done for profit, it was all user-driven.

It's surprising there's not been a FreeView + online TV system that's as open/flexible as the Topfield... ...it would be amazing if YouView opened up the user experience to 3rd party improvement, but there's probably too many business interests to juggle/protect to open up YouView fully...

Even the toppiest of Topfield mavens, selecting a box for their parents, generally went Humax.

I think that tells you all you want to know about where YouView is aimed.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • PPV BoxingPPV Boxing Member Posts: 2
    edited 8 September 2015, 9:51AM

+ 1 for movie logos and channel logos! They have it on Tvguide.co.uk and it doesn't take up much space but is very handy.

http://mayweatherfightlivestreams.hatenablog.com/
  • PPV BoxingPPV Boxing Member Posts: 2
    edited 7 September 2015, 6:56PM

This is one of my top 2 improvements (along with having a guide which showed programme synopsis without pressing the i button. I used to use a Toppy and recorded many films for future viewing. I almost never record films on the Youview box because it is just too hard to find them when you browse through the guide. If the guide showed an icon for type of programme (film, news etc.) as the Toppy did it would be a great improvement.

Mayweather Fight Live Stream