Will YouView support the new Xbox ONE?

MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
First of all sorry i couldent resist, i know its early but i had ask.

for them they may not know the xbox one will feature live TV integration via a separate supported device(s)

yes its silly ask now but with youviews flexible approach do you think it will be possible to support this device in the future with just some software upgrade?

yes this more a bit of fun atm!!
«13

Comments

  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 21 May 2013, 8:51PM
    In what way "support" it?
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 5:42PM
    im not realy sure yet as all M$ have said is via compilable devices, im not even sure how it controls the live TV feed im guessing its something in the HDMI standard but could be very wrong on that
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Madcotto, YouView is a platform. Not a content provider.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 21 May 2013, 9:18PM
    Visionman said:

    Madcotto, YouView is a platform. Not a content provider.

    yea ik Visionman but if im guessing right on how M$ are adding TV to there new toy then freeview is the perfect platform and as i have a youview capable of upgrading i hopefully wont have to change my hardware to a normal freeview device that supports the Xbox ONE.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Visionman said:

    Madcotto, YouView is a platform. Not a content provider.

    The BBC trust wouldn't allow it.

    And the BBC and M$ have already previously clashed heads. Twice. So whilst your thoughts are interesting, its a no-no, sorry. On any games console.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    yea Visionman i was going say there may be some red tape clash and battle for control.

    but it be nice have features such as the voice control over the TV channels and skype video calling seemliness overlayed over the youviews already great guide.

    i just get excited over new tec and its possibilities and its why i brought into youview in the first place. hopefully i wont have to move on but its still long way go on this yet.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Madcotto said:

    yea Visionman i was going say there may be some red tape clash and battle for control.

    but it be nice have features such as the voice control over the TV channels and skype video calling seemliness overlayed over the youviews already great guide.

    i just get excited over new tec and its possibilities and its why i brought into youview in the first place. hopefully i wont have to move on but its still long way go on this yet.

    Not long now, friend. The new services will appear this year, as the platform continues to mature. And there should be more next year too. Though I'll be joining this year, hopefully. I'm just waiting for the announcements...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    Visionman said:

    Madcotto, YouView is a platform. Not a content provider.

    The BBC and MS clashed over the requirement for a paid xbox live subscription in order to watch catch-up TV content on xbox360. In the end MS relented because the BBC (quite rightly) would only provide an iPlayer if it was completely free of charge. So BBC iPlayer is the only catch up TV app on xbox360 for which you do not need a paid xbox live subscription.

    I think this is slightly different. It's HDMI pass-through of a set top box signal which is controlled by the Xbox with various bells and whistles such as interactive searchable EPG, chanel switching using voice control and gestures etc. Details are thin on the ground but that's the gist of it. I suspect it would not require an xbox live subscription but I could be completely wrong on that. What we do know is that for the moment it's a US only service which requires compatible set top box equipment from cable companies and telcos etc. Although MS say they anticipate a global launch over time. Given that MS already have a partnership with Sky they would seem like the most likely platform for a UK version but I wouldn't rule out Virgin and Freeview boxes. As for YouView who knows but it doesn't seem like a likely partnership because all the interaction is done via the Xbox and the set-top box essentially becomes a slave device which would obliterate YouView's unique selling point.

    More info here - http://www.computerandvideogames.com/...
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 22 May 2013, 6:29AM
    Isn't this more a case of asking if the new Xbox will support Youview rather than the other way round?
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    Can the Youview replace the XBox?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    As YouView has no HDMI input, this must be a situation where the Xbox would follow the YouView box in the HDMI chain, and feed the TV from there.

    So reading between the lines, it seems that the Xbox cannot tune in TV for itself, but needs the signal delivered already bound and gagged over HDMI.

    Which the YouView box can do. The next question is how the Xbox knows what it's adding extras to, i.e. how it knows which channel you are watching. Is this info in the YouView output HDMI signal in any standards-recognised way?

    And will the Xbox go crazy trying to sync what you are watching with its inbuilt current EPG when you are playing a recording from last week? :-)
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    Ok. So *why* would you want to daisy-chain the YV box through the Xbox rather than use two separate HDMI inputs on the TV or AV amp? What advantage does doing it that way give you?
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    Roy1 said:

    As YouView has no HDMI input, this must be a situation where the Xbox would follow the YouView box in the HDMI chain, and feed the TV from there.

    So reading between the lines, it seems that the Xbox cannot tune in TV for itself, but needs the signal delivered already bound and gagged over HDMI.

    Which the YouView box can do. The next question is how the Xbox knows what it's adding extras to, i.e. how it knows which channel you are watching. Is this info in the YouView output HDMI signal in any standards-recognised way?

    And will the Xbox go crazy trying to sync what you are watching with its inbuilt current EPG when you are playing a recording from last week? :-)

    Yes that's correct, the HDMI output from the set top box is fed into the Xbox. The communication between the two boxes must be over HDMI but I'm not sure how the Xbox grabs the correct EPG data and changes channel etc.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I take it that's 'you' in general? Being a grown-up, I've never owned or wanted an Xbox. (Ducks and runs).

    I think the idea is that the Xbox overlays its shtick on the signal passing through. So using two separate HDMI inputs would be as useful as if YouView put its subtitles (say) out on a separate HDMI input ; i.e. not at all.

    But it does raise the point of what if you just want to watch YouView, and it's going via the Xbox? The Xbox would need to support HDMI passthrough in standby; it could be inconvenient otherwise.
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Schtick?
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 22 May 2013, 9:59AM
    gomez said:

    Schtick?

    It's in the dictionary.
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    gomez said:

    Ok. So *why* would you want to daisy-chain the YV box through the Xbox rather than use two separate HDMI inputs on the TV or AV amp? What advantage does doing it that way give you?

    Because MS say "it's the future" ;-)

    In all seriousness the fact that you don't have to switch inputs was touted as one of the key benefits. MS say that the advantage is that you can use Kinect motion and voice control to change channel, search the EPG, instantly switch from gaming to TV to films to music etc., and there many other bells and whistles. Basically the Xbox becomes the hub for all your digital entertainment.

    It's an interesting concept - and actually looks very slick - but the problem I foresee is that the set top box becomes a slave device. Set top box platforms, including those provided by cable and satellite companies, are competing in this space and they too would like to be the 'hub' for our digital entertainment. Increasingly they're also a way to sell third party services such as Lovefilm, Netflix and NowTV etc. So why would any set top box platform want to support xbox when they are effectively ceading control of their entire platform to MS and their box becomes a 'dumb box' over which the user has no direct control? It doesn't make sense.

    btw - I watched the full presentation on my xbox360 last night but I think it's available on the web here - http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xboxone/mee...
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    Roy1 said:

    I take it that's 'you' in general? Being a grown-up, I've never owned or wanted an Xbox. (Ducks and runs).

    I think the idea is that the Xbox overlays its shtick on the signal passing through. So using two separate HDMI inputs would be as useful as if YouView put its subtitles (say) out on a separate HDMI input ; i.e. not at all.

    But it does raise the point of what if you just want to watch YouView, and it's going via the Xbox? The Xbox would need to support HDMI passthrough in standby; it could be inconvenient otherwise.

    The Xbox one has various power modes, this was touted as one of it's features. I suspect it would support passthrough in standby but details very thin on the ground at the moment.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    Can't Xbox One access the TV's own internal tuner? Why does it need a stb?
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 11:01AM
    Roy1 said:

    As YouView has no HDMI input, this must be a situation where the Xbox would follow the YouView box in the HDMI chain, and feed the TV from there.

    So reading between the lines, it seems that the Xbox cannot tune in TV for itself, but needs the signal delivered already bound and gagged over HDMI.

    Which the YouView box can do. The next question is how the Xbox knows what it's adding extras to, i.e. how it knows which channel you are watching. Is this info in the YouView output HDMI signal in any standards-recognised way?

    And will the Xbox go crazy trying to sync what you are watching with its inbuilt current EPG when you are playing a recording from last week? :-)

    Does the YV support HDMI with ethernet channel?
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:47AM
    Gomez:
    Isn't this more a case of asking if the new Xbox will support Youview rather than the other way round?
    Yes.
    At launch, Live TV will require a supported receiver device with HDMI output (sold separately).
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/P...
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 2:39PM
    I think we're quite some time from seeing this in the UK (if we ever really do) - Even once Xbox One ships later this year, the TV side of things will only be available to the US.

    As I understand it, Xbox One takes the feed from the set top box via HDMI (rather than have it go to the TV) & then builds it into the Xbox user experience ...quite how it does all this I've no idea. I can't see the likes of Sky, Virgin, or anyone really allowing a helper agent to sit on their boxes to assist the process. I can only imagine it's all done by Xbox One being clever with what's received over HDMI.

    Rather more challenging to get my head around is how Kinect will take voice command commands & have Xbox One compel the set top box to do things like change channels ...'TIS WITCHCRAFT I TELL YOU!!!

    A demo of TV functionality from yesterday's launch: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21...
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 22 May 2013, 12:08PM
    gomez said:

    Schtick?

    Is it? With its relevance to the newly announced Xbox? Why is everyone being so coy and not answering a simple question that I have tried to phrase diplomatically in several different ways?
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 22 May 2013, 12:09PM
    sam1 said:

    Gomez:

    Isn't this more a case of asking if the new Xbox will support Youview rather than the other way round?
    Yes.
    At launch, Live TV will require a supported receiver device with HDMI output (sold separately).
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/P...Ta. So it *is* up to the Xbox to sort itself out.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 22 May 2013, 12:27PM
    sam1 said:

    Gomez:

    Isn't this more a case of asking if the new Xbox will support Youview rather than the other way round?
    Yes.
    At launch, Live TV will require a supported receiver device with HDMI output (sold separately).
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/P...Maybe MS is going to provide its own "supported receiver device.". A cheap way of handling country-specific TV distribution systems like Freeview. If so, then it will also have to support other devices which meet the specified criteria, but I don't see any suggestion of the "supported device" being able to interact with the Xbox One other than passing through the tv signal via HDMI.

    It would make more sense to use a cheap stb for xbox and, as you suggested, put the Youview on a different HDMI input. Who cares if MS want users never to switch inputs. That's what all manufacturers want - plug in our box and use no other.
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Joy!

    This reply was removed.
    see the change log

    Stoooopid forum software has eaten my post - certainly didn't delete it myself!
    ...This said, I'd been trying to post it most of the morning & getting errors back from the site :(

    Amongst other things I was suggesting it might be some time before we see this functionality in the UK, if we ever really do. Even once Xbox One ships later this year, TV will only be available to the US.

    As I understand, Xbox One takes the TV feed directly from the set top box rather than connecting the set top box to the TV.
    Not sure how Xbox One does its thing but, as I can't imagine the likes of Sky / Virgin / anyone really allowing any kind of helper agent to sit on their box, I can only imagine it relies on being clever with what it's receiving via HDMI.

    Equally perplexing is the prospect of quite how Kinect takes voice control commands & uses them to have Xbox One compel the set top box to change channels ...'TIS WITCHCRAFT, I TELL YOU!!!
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 22 May 2013, 12:29PM
    DM2 said:

    Joy!


    This reply was removed.
    see the change log

    Stoooopid forum software has eaten my post - certainly didn't delete it myself!
    ...This said, I'd been trying to post it most of the morning & getting errors back from the site :(

    Amongst other things I was suggesting it might be some time before we see this functionality in the UK, if we ever really do. Even once Xbox One ships later this year, TV will only be available to the US.

    As I understand, Xbox One takes the TV feed directly from the set top box rather than connecting the set top box to the TV.
    Not sure how Xbox One does its thing but, as I can't imagine the likes of Sky / Virgin / anyone really allowing any kind of helper agent to sit on their box, I can only imagine it relies on being clever with what it's receiving via HDMI.

    Equally perplexing is the prospect of quite how Kinect takes voice control commands & uses them to have Xbox One compel the set top box to change channels ...'TIS WITCHCRAFT, I TELL YOU!!!Spooky action at a distance. :-)
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 2:39PM
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 6:35PM
    sam1 said:

    Can't Xbox One access the TV's own internal tuner? Why does it need a stb?

    It needs a stb because the HDMI signal is daisy chained from the stb to the xbox. The xbox then offers voice and gesture control of the stb via it's own EPG and overlays it's own interactive features and services.

    The TV comes after the xbox in the HDMI chain so that would be a no go.

    An alternative would be for the xbox to include it's own tuner but for whatever reason MS have chosen not to include a tuner. I suspect that is because they want to offer compatibility with all the major cable, satellite and terrestrial networks each of which would be a different platform with differing often proprietary standards.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:47AM
    Thanks DM for the CNET link.

    I'm not very attracted by a box that requires a sub and wants to control all my other gear, but things may be different when/if it launches in the UK.
Sign In or Register to comment.