Problems with paid Youview channels...

Stephen4Stephen4 Member Posts: 14
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
I can't watch my youview channels that I have paid for UK GOLD, ESPN ETC. All I get is the picture stuttering, I can view on demand channels and my normal TV channels. I have fibre optic as I was told my speed was to slow before, I was getting 0.29 - 2.09 download speed and 0.27 upload speed. Now I get 37.89 download speed and 1.76 upload speed. Anyone have a clue what the problem may be? Also before I had fibre optic half of my channels was working, I was told the rest would work perfect if I go onto fibre. Even the engineers that have come out don't seem to have a clue. Just getting a little fed up phoning as I get the same process of them sending an engineer, they don't know and tell you to phone again. There is no fault on the line from my end as I have had a BT engineer test the line also talk talk say there is no fault so I'm stuck, I'm paying for something I can't watch. Any help please?

Comments

• sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:47AM
    Who are you paying? Threaten to stop paying them.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 21 May 2013, 9:26AM
    I thought these are DTT broadcast channels so not sure what broadband speed has to do with it?
  • Stephen4Stephen4 Member Posts: 14
    edited 21 May 2013, 9:30AM
    they are booster channels that im paying for. They run off the router so I assume they are streaming live?
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 21 May 2013, 9:56AM
    Are you talking TalkTalk? That would explain the confusion.
    edited 21 May 2013, 9:57AM
    haha ye sorry the one thing I forget, yep its talk talk
  • RachelRachel Member Posts: 46
    edited 21 May 2013, 10:04AM
    Hi Stephen

The team at Talk talk will be able to assist you further with this.

you can find their contact details here: http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use...

Many thanks
    edited 21 May 2013, 10:11AM
    sorry Rachel but I've made numerous phone calls telling me to do the same thing over and over again. Its like I'm the only person who has this problem as no one has a clue and ends up fobbing me off with reseting the youview box, checking cables ETC and sending an engineer who can't identify the problem. I can watch on demand players fine so I know its not my router/connection.
    You might get their attention if you start the phone call by saying that you've been advised by Youview that TalkTalk should be able to assist.

If TalkTalk supplied the box and router, and they also get paid for supplying the channels, and they actually talked you into upgrading to fibre on a promise that it would solve your problems, it's unmistakably TalkTalk's responsibility to sort it out. I don't blame you for not wanting to call them again, but talk tough and don't let them fob you off.

Out of curiosity, why did you go with TalkTalk if the speed was going to be less than 1MB? Is that what they told you you'd get before you signed up?
    edited 21 May 2013, 4:03PM
    I was with talk talk at a previous address, I've recently moved. I was getting speeds of 12-16 MB until I moved (its actually in the same block of flats). They did say I should get around 14MB, I couldn't cancel as I was still in contract with them.
    That's when TalkTalk should have identified the problem. Instead of telling you to upgrade to fibre optic, they should have found out what affected your speed so drastically when you only moved a short distance.

Depending what you want, you could ring them and explain that they're not delivering the service you're paying for and you'd like them to fulfill their side of the contract. Or you could just leave. They can't hold you to a contract they're not fulfilling.
    edited 21 May 2013, 4:33PM
    I've explained it like u said, they just keep sending a pointless engineer out. I've even gone on to be a little rude at some point but nothing. They are terrible over the phone and the engineers. BT engineer came round and said its to do with there end, I explained this but they just want to give me aload of rubbish. As soon as ive paid this month I shall not keep the paid channels. Just a little disappointed as the channels I was getting were really good.
    OK, another suggestion, have you tried posting in the TT forum? I believe company reps post there, also on Moneysavingexpert I've seen TalkTalk reps post. I don't think they monitor this forum, or if they do they keep schtum.
    edited 21 May 2013, 4:51PM
    Ye mate done it on TT forum even sent email all they done again was "send an engineer" . Another thing is they do this knowing i wont get an engineer for 2-3 days. So it keeps me quiet.
    edited 21 May 2013, 4:54PM
    Thats why i tried this forum to see if there could be a simple problem someone may have experienced. Don't look like thats the case haha. Electricals have always been a downer with me, my fridge will bloody go next.
    edited 21 May 2013, 4:57PM
    Oh here is something funny........ Everytime they send someone out to me its a 50 quid charge but...... They say they wont charge me to keep me sweet, like they are doing me a favour
    It might be a problem others have, but they might not be in this forum. This forum tends to get more Humax Youview users (BT or retail boxes).

Don't let TT "Bright Sparks" engineers anywhere near the fridge. :-)

Bright Sparks indeed mutter mutter. They're more like Faint Glows, from the reports I've seen.
    edited 21 May 2013, 5:11PM
    If i could cancel my whole talk talk i would, but to cancel is around 800 quid as i have fibre and they said that is a new contract so they got me there. I can cancel the channels im paying for, so it looks as though i will have to do that. Cheers for your time mate. Hmmm my playstation is still alive for now so i'll just have to abuse that :)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    If you were told that fibre would make things work, and you accepted it on that basis, and it doesn't do what they promised, then you have, if not actual breach of contract (and you probably don't) then certainly frustration of contract (which you indubitably do). If you have given them three opportunities to remedy the issue, and they have failed each time, then you have done as much or more than a reasonable man would do, and you are entitled to ask them to put you back in the position you were in (both physically and financially) before they made the representations to you that they were unable to fulfil.

A polite request for compensation for the inconvenience they have caused you should not go unheeded, either.
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Roy 13 minutes ago
    If you were told that fibre would make things work, and you accepted it on that basis, and it doesn't do what they promised, then you have, if not actual breach of contract (and you probably don't) then certainly frustration of contract (which you indubitably do). If you have given them three opportunities to remedy the issue, and they have failed each time, then you have done as much or more than a reasonable man would do, and you are entitled to ask them to put you back in the position you were in (both physically and financially) before they made the representations to you that they were unable to fulfil.

A polite request for compensation for the inconvenience they have caused you should not go unheeded, either.
    ^^^ What he said. Smiley

Also, you can cancel if you want to, as they have provided you with a service which doesn't work as described. The contractual term for this poor showing is called 'non-provision of service' and is also grounds for cancellation too. With a full refund of all monies paid.

And the easiest way to do this is via a TT OCE on the TalkTalk forum.

Hope that helps and hope you get it sorted soon.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 22 May 2013, 9:38AM
    Cheers guys. Managed to get the month Free including line rental and internet, so im in credit by 53p haha. The channels will not be working, so at the end of the month I wont have them channels and they have given me fibre for half price for a year. Really the whole point of the fibre was to use the Paid TV services but oh well, I have fast internet. I will be cancelling at the end of my contract either way so if there is any decent providers out there, who would be best joining? That's for TV, phone and internet. I have the girlfriend and 2 kids online at the sametime aswell as me on the playstation so I need something decent. :)

Thanks again for your help.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 22 May 2013, 10:10AM
    I know it's not the cheapest but I've always had very satisfactory service from BT Infinity.
    That's outrageous. They don't know why you can't receive the channels so they're not going to bother to help, they're just going to tell you you can't have them? That's total poo.

I don't think much of TalkTalk's "offer" either. If it was me I'd just leave and go to a better ISP. For the channels you mentioned, you could switch to BT or Sky or Virgin. They all have their pros and their cons, but they do all offer those two channels, ESPN and Gold.

See http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/channels/ for some info on which ISP offers which channel.
    edited 22 May 2013, 10:55AM
    I have spoke to citizens advice, what they said was "if within 28 days of the complaint, you still don't receive the channels you want, u have the right to cancel your contract completely". So with that said, they have around 2 weeks left since ive had fibre, to fix things or im gonna take it further. I really don't want to be with them right now so in a way I hope nothing changes, that way I have the right to cancel as they aint fulfilling there contract to me. BT or SKY im heading to. It's weird how they have no clue why I can't get the paid channels, I just can't be arsed with another poxy engineer telling me it's to do with the other end and not mine!
    Good for you. That was a good idea, speaking to CA.

Also by the way, you mentioned above that TT charged you for their engineer visits. They should refund those charges. I believe the charge is only supposed to be payable if the problem turns out to be caused by the user, which in your case is not so.

Did any of these engineers ever suggest swapping the Youview box?
    edited 22 May 2013, 11:31AM
    They never did charge me for the call outs, as they thought they was doing me a favour. One engineer did replace the box, yes. Same problem occurred. They are absolute rubbish. I know people only really write bad reviews but this was taking the biscuit, I wouldn't normally bother. I just needed help/advice.
    I like Youview myself, but mine is a Humax, which seems to be more robust than TalkTalk's Huawei. Both boxes definitely have their problems, but things are improving.
    edited 22 May 2013, 11:51AM
    yeah, I like Youview, when I get the channels I want haha. Ive only moved from 1 flat to another in the same bloody block! It's madness, Hmmm. Bring back the football season so I don't have to be at home!!