No signal from my dvd/video recorder

Edward QuinnEdward Quinn Member Posts: 4
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
After setting up my youview box I have a problem with my toshiba dvd/video recorder,the tv screen says that there is no signal.Any idea what the problem could be ?

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Not without knowing what your set-up is, what AV cables your using and where/what you've put them into. And whats the make and model of your TV?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Edward QuinnEdward Quinn Member Posts: 4
    edited 28 May 2013, 5:21PM
    My problem is that the set up for the view box is that you connect one cable to the in aerial cable socket and the other cable to the out aerial cable socket,but how do you connect the recorder for to get a signal,my TV is LG.
    edited 28 May 2013, 5:24PM
    Previous to obtaining the view box I had a HD box connected to my Tv and had no problem with the dvd/video recorder.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    I don't know what you mean, sorry. No doubt another member/s on here will help you shortly.

But you've still not stated what AV cables your using for each box and where you've plugged them in.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 9:47AM
    Edward - you can run the aerial first into your DVD recorder, then run a coax lead from your DVD recorder's RF Out to the YouView "aerial in", and then another lead to the TV.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 28 May 2013, 5:57PM
    I think what you need is aerial into the Youview box, then out to your toshiba dvd/video recorder, then out from that into the TV. Make sure that in Youview settings RF loop-through is set to on, otherwise the signal will be lost when it goes into standby.

Edit: Just seen that sam beat me to it, I think either method will work.
    Is there an advantage to having it that way round rather than making the DVD recorder first in the chain as I've done with mine?

Edit: just saw your edit. :-)
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 28 May 2013, 6:33PM
    One way round may work better than the other if the aerial signal is marginal and the tuner in one box is less sensitive and needs a stronger signal in which case have that one first.

Used to be that you would always have the VCR or DVDR as last in the aerial feed chain before the TV as then you could record the modulated output from another device earlier in the chain. But like many modern devices the Youview box does not modulate its output on the RF aerial feed.
    Thanks Gomez. I'll leave it as it is then.
    edited 28 May 2013, 7:18PM
    I tried all the suggestions that you all mentioned but it didn't work,but I have tried something else and it seems to work,I disconnected the HDMI lead from the View box and connected it to the dvd recorder and hey presto it worked,the only thing is I wont be able to get any HD programmes on the recorder.So I am hoping that is the is the problem solved.
    Many thanks for your suggestions ,much appreciated.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 28 May 2013, 7:37PM
    You need to connect *two* HDMI leads to the TV set. One from the Youview box and one from the DVDR. Or does your TV set only have one HDMI input? In which case an HDMI switch(*) would help you connect both boxes to the TV set.

(*) Not an HDMI splitter which is used for a different purpose.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Edward

You can't record over RF from the YouView box since, as Gomez says, it doesn't put its own output on this cable; it's just for passing along the TV signal.

I don't believe you can record HD programmes on your Toshiba anyway, as it doesn't have the required bandwidth; you would need a BluRay recorder to do that. Though maybe it downscales HD to SD? In which case, you might as well just record the SD programme to begin with.

And anyway, the YouView box doesn't let you record its HD output.

And anyway, why not just record on the YouView box in the first place?

I can't see your Toshiba having an HDMI in, though I see it has an HDMI out. But I expect it has SCART in, and you could run a cable to this from the SCART out of the YouView box, and this will let you record some (but not all) programmes in SD, if you really want to put them on a video tape or a writable DVD.

But beyond all this, I'm not clear on what it is you want to do and can't do now, but think you should be able to do if only you could get the cabling right?
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...