Great Wireless Solution.

redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
The issue of wireless connectivity to one's home network is constantly being raised. The official response is that ethernet is best, which is of course absolutely true, but not always the most practical, or elegant solution. Powerline adapters are officially supported, but these are prone to issues of their own and are useless if your home has non-confirming electrical wiring.

A number of users have experimented successfully with wireless solutions of various kinds. I ended up taking the plunge with the TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router, which has been mentioned here before, but my experience has been so positive that I wanted to share it here.

You have to set it up via PC or Mac to get it started, but once you have done that it is just plug and go. The device comes with a mains adapter, but with the Humax YouView box it can draw its power from the USB socket and thus makes installation that much easier and tidier.

Of course the usual caveats apply regarding performance, which will depend on the basic speed of your underlying broadband connection and the wireless performance of your primary router.

But subject to that, the unit is tiny, discreet and cheap - I paid £16.49 at Amazon - and I can highly recommend it.

Comments

• stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 25 April 2013, 4:49PM
    Wow! That sounds amazing. I have my router next to the TV but I might be tempted to move it and get one of these. Anything which reduces clutter behind the TV has got to be good.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    I would agree that the TP Link TL-WR702N works well and I found it easy to setup too. The general topic on connecting the box via wifi

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

lists a few other options although there are also a few comments from people who did not manage to get this or other wifi devices working.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Agree Keith. The device looks top-notch. And cheap too. Nice recommendation redchiz.

Wi-Fi will work for some, but not others. Just like powerline adaptors (homeplugs). But at least Amazon usually give the option of a refund.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I have had a lot of success and been very impressed with a "YouView SKY Wireless connecter" (for example listing 330847568617 on Ebay costing £15.99 including postage). Similar to the above idea, so easy to use - once set up on a PC you just plug it into the Youview box using the supplied network cable and USB cable (so it is powered directly via the USB port on the Youview box). It is very neat (even smaller than the TP Link device) and only uses 1.5 watts (or zero Watts when in High Eco standby). I had to cover up the LEDs in my bedroom though!

Everything has worked just as well as when using a wired connection directly to my router.

I'm planning to buy one for an Xbox too. It has many other uses - for example when travelling to convert wired internet to wireless.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM

I have had a lot of success and been very impressed with a "YouView SKY Wireless connecter" (for example listing 330847568617 on Ebay costing £15.99 including postage). Similar to the above idea, so easy to use - once set up on a PC you just plug it into the Youview box using the supplied network cable and USB cable (so it is powered directly via the USB port on the Youview box). It is very neat (even smaller than the TP Link device) and only uses 1.5 watts (or zero Watts when in High Eco standby). I had to cover up the LEDs in my bedroom though!

Everything has worked just as well as when using a wired connection directly to my router.

I'm planning to buy one for an Xbox too. It has many other uses - for example when travelling to convert wired internet to wireless.

Just watch out for that Snark......
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris