Channel List Management

Comments

• John GoldingJohn Golding Member Posts: 3
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    Channel Management - ie being able to SORT channels - is essential and basic functionality, which I have had on previous HDD recorders for the past 10 years.

Please implement this, for all the reasons stated above.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM

Channel Management - ie being able to SORT channels - is essential and basic functionality, which I have had on previous HDD recorders for the past 10 years.

Please implement this, for all the reasons stated above.

It's on their list to do, but it is all about priorities. For one thing to be done, another has to sit on the side.
  • Simon GroveSimon Grove Member Posts: 3
    edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    This is a critical shortfall, on the Main Box and especially in the Android app. I don't want to have to scroll through all the radio stations to get to BBCHD listings. At least on the box you can hide channels, but they are still in a random channel order, it's worse on the app. Can't understand how this was not a day one feature it has been on many Freeview boxes since they were first launched.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM

This is a critical shortfall, on the Main Box and especially in the Android app. I don't want to have to scroll through all the radio stations to get to BBCHD listings. At least on the box you can hide channels, but they are still in a random channel order, it's worse on the app. Can't understand how this was not a day one feature it has been on many Freeview boxes since they were first launched.

The epg filter takes us a step closer on the main box.
    All it needs now is the ability to define your own filter (or filters).
    This is then a "favourites" system.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 29 July 2013, 1:21PM

That's already available by hiding channels.

Not quite, sam. If you want to unhide you then have to choose them all again.
    With a "favourites" filter you could toggle it on and off.
    edited 29 July 2013, 5:40PM

Grief, gwatuk, there's only about 15 channels worth watching! :-)
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 29 July 2013, 5:42PM

Which is why it would be quicker ande easier to be able to select those few channels to not hide rather than the way it is now.
    edited 29 July 2013, 5:50PM

That's true, but at least once it's done it's done.

sam & gomez, you're not seriously suggesting that you don't want a basic "favourites" system are you?
    For most people this has been one of the biggest criticisms of the epg from the word go.
    edited 29 July 2013, 5:54PM

Definitely not a priority for me. Most of the channels are hidden. I can cope just fine with the handful that remain. I'd rather they concentrate on unicast.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 29 July 2013, 5:59PM

Me neither. I can remember the channel numbers of the ones I watch on a regular basis. Personally, it's not something which I would even use if it were available, probably.

Are you basing your comments about 'most people' wanting this feature on comments here? I'm not sure they are representative of the majority of users.

I have to agree with most of these comments. I also do not see this has a high priority.
    But you have to ask why YouView put resources into developing the epg filter?
    They must see this as a significant issue.
  • GillamGillam Member Posts: 1
    edited 15 August 2013, 4:12PM
    Like most of the 251 people who have taken the time to express there disappointment that this youview box has fallen short by not including the basic function of channel management found on most if not all Freeview boxes these day, something they should and can easily put right, the programing already exists on all other Humax boxes.
    edited 29 July 2013, 11:44PM
    Gillam said:

Like most of the 251 people who have taken the time to express there disappointment that this youview box has fallen short by not including the basic function of channel management found on most if not all Freeview boxes these day, something they should and can easily put right, the programing already exists on all other Humax boxes.

251 people 'like' this idea. That's not quite the same ad expressing their disappointment that it's not there. Although Humax boxes can do this, they have to stick to YouView specs whic currently don't allow channel list management.
  • PostatPostat Member Posts: 5
    edited 30 July 2013, 12:29AM
    Gillam said:

"they have to stick to YouView specs whic currently don't allow channel list management."

Which currently doesn't, have channel management, but it is UNDER CONSIDERATION so clearly can have channel management, which when implemented should help eliminate there disappointment.
    edited 30 July 2013, 12:35AM
    Gillam said:

My point is that no YouView box, regardless of manufacturer, currently has channel management options other than the ability to hide channels from the EPG. It may well be under consideration by YouView but Humax cannot implement it on their boxes as it is not a YouView feature at present.

Hopefully people will be able to contain their disappointment until this feature appears (if it ever does). Obviously it is not a YouView priority or it would have been implemented by now.
  • Tony Mc DonnellTony Mc Donnell Member Posts: 1
    edited 31 July 2013, 2:35PM

For gods sake you two. John is quite right and all we really want to do is get the channels organised and the ability to delete. We don't want to know who programmed what, and at what band width was or whO built it and who designed it or whatever the "IT" phrase. ALL WE WANT IS FOR YOUVIEW TO LISTEN TO US, so back off Martin and put your toys back in your pram.

PS I also worked in IT back in the glory days of having to write our own programs in basic assembler or fortran, but I don't bring it up in conversation often.

I'm really not happy about my 4 young children having to scroll past adult channels in the listing. Fine for adults, but not appropriate for children. Please can we have this addressed as a priority.Tony
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

For gods sake you two. John is quite right and all we really want to do is get the channels organised and the ability to delete. We don't want to know who programmed what, and at what band width was or whO built it and who designed it or whatever the "IT" phrase. ALL WE WANT IS FOR YOUVIEW TO LISTEN TO US, so back off Martin and put your toys back in your pram.

PS I also worked in IT back in the glory days of having to write our own programs in basic assembler or fortran, but I don't bring it up in conversation often.

You can hide them - Guide - yellow button - select channels you want hiding.
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    This should of been a feature from day one in my opinion. It's a basic feature on every other PVR I've ever used and I'm astonished that it has it hasn't been implemented yet. If this is not a priority for YouView then one really has to wonder how they prioritise their development time.

I really don't understand why they prioritised deveopment of filters instead of favourites. Personally I don't use the filters at all and I find them rather pointless. Not least because the filters aren't sticky. So you have to select the filter every time you access the guide which often requires more button presses than just finding the desired channel in the default channels list.

I don't even want or need the filters, I just want the channels in the order of my choosing, in particular, I want the HD channels at the top of the guide.
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I agree, Tom. Some of us have been making suggestions for improvements since the first trial box was released, keen to help this product become the superb fully-functioning PVR it could be - beating the others, hands down. As a result, you can see the huge amount of work put in by many people on this forum, and collated and updated with much diligence and effort by Keith.

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

However, it has become obvious that the YouView team, for whatever reason, are going their own way, and rarely provide facilities as requested by the majority - even those that have been on the list from day one. Just count the number implemented or planned. In fact, I question whether those involved in the design of the user interface have much experience of actually using a pvr over any length of time. If they had, then they could not have designed in such basic flaws.

That is why some of us have lost interest in expending any further energy here, in what seems to be wasted effort.

One example. Just look at the 2 screens Summary and Details via the information button, and work out what the logic is of having Summary AND Details - and what the difference is between the two screens of information. Looks good, but functionally? Have to press 2 buttons to get the full description? What information does the picture add, which takes up valuable space, but really provides nothing other than eye candy, and prevents the FULL programme description from being displayed on the first screen? Basic design flaw.......

This is just one example - there are hundreds more........

Excellent base product, crippled by poor user interface design, that lacks functionality available in pvrs 10 years ago.

As a very keen and active proponent of YouView, I am just sad that, in my view, it does not look like it will ever achieve the original promise. Given the slow improvement to the UI over the past 15 months, it seems it will always be sadly lacking in facilities compared to other products that are likely to equal, and even overtake it in all areas in the not too distant future.
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 3 August 2013, 9:40PM
    I think YouView made their approach clear right from the start, by only sending out beta test boxes when they already had a release date planned - and WAY too late to implement anything other than very minor changes to the UI.

I too just want to be able to delete the channels I don't want, and organise the remainder in an order that makes sense to me (and has nothing to do with LCNs), with the HD channels at the top.

IMHO, much of the UI is badly thought out, inconsistent and highly unintuitive. All of this could have been resolved by involving beta testers MUCH earlier in the process (with a year or 6 months to go, not just a few weeks), ... and actually listening to their feedback.

As a beta tester, I'm glad I didn't pay for my box. I had high hopes that it would be the perfect PVR and On-Demand combination for my parents, but it's far from it. They've gone for a Sky subscription instead. Personally, I hate the UI, and I would never get Sky on principle, but at least it's consistent in how it works.

Fortunately, I have a selection of other options available to me, and frankly, I'm past caring what YouView do. If they make sensible changes, for me that's a bonus. This is not my main PVR, and never will be. It's a shame, but there you go. The picture quality is great. The UI (once you're used to its quirks) is just about adequate for a small number of recordings, and if you're not in a hurry, but this is absolutely not the box I want to use for my main recording and viewing use.
    This forum represents a tiny number of YouView users. There are loads of people here who aren't happy because the box does not work the way THEY want it to. YouView is trying to provide a box for the masses - something which just plugs in and works. Yes, there are some problems but which item of technology doesn't have flaws?

I suspect that most people using YV boxes are perfectly happy with them and they don't need a degree in electronics to figure out how to work it. It's obvious from many of the posts here that a lot of contributors like to tinker with gadgets and customise things to work the way they want them to (look at the number of references to Roku, Topfield, Raspberry Pi etc etc) I would suggest that the YV box is probably not for them and it is never going to have the potential for the amount of tinkering which they want to be able to do.

Things like the UI are very subjective and personally, I can't see anything wrong with it at all. For me, it is the only PVR I use and I can't see any reason why it should be a secondary or backup box. But each to their own.

Also I'm not sure there is a lot of mileage in comparing it to products of 10 years ago - technology moves on and things which maybe seemed a good idea then might not be seen by YV as a good idea now. If they were the case, we'd still be using floppy discs and Zip drives on our computers.

As I said, it is all very subjective but I think anyone who bought this box expecting it to do things it doesn't has only really got themselves to blame if it doesn't live up to expectations. Again. I acknowledge that there are some bugs with it but nothing which makes it unusable in my opinion.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I know many will disagree but then that's what forums like this are all about, isn't it?
    I think some of the triallists misunderstood the purpose of the trial. It was obvious from the selection questions that YouView weren't seeking experienced beta-testers, they were looking for opinions from a cross-section of ordinary users.
    stuart621 said:

This forum represents a tiny number of YouView users. There are loads of people here who aren't happy because the box does not work the way THEY want it to. YouView is trying to provide a box for the masses - something which just plugs in and works. Yes, there are some problems but which item of technology doesn't have flaws?

I suspect that most people using YV boxes are perfectly happy with them and they don't need a degree in electronics to figure out how to work it. It's obvious from many of the posts here that a lot of contributors like to tinker with gadgets and customise things to work the way they want them to (look at the number of references to Roku, Topfield, Raspberry Pi etc etc) I would suggest that the YV box is probably not for them and it is never going to have the potential for the amount of tinkering which they want to be able to do.

Things like the UI are very subjective and personally, I can't see anything wrong with it at all. For me, it is the only PVR I use and I can't see any reason why it should be a secondary or backup box. But each to their own.

Also I'm not sure there is a lot of mileage in comparing it to products of 10 years ago - technology moves on and things which maybe seemed a good idea then might not be seen by YV as a good idea now. If they were the case, we'd still be using floppy discs and Zip drives on our computers.

As I said, it is all very subjective but I think anyone who bought this box expecting it to do things it doesn't has only really got themselves to blame if it doesn't live up to expectations. Again. I acknowledge that there are some bugs with it but nothing which makes it unusable in my opinion.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I know many will disagree but then that's what forums like this are all about, isn't it?

I would agree with you, Stuart, if your statement about 'moving on' was valid. Zip drives were replaced by something better. Sadly, the YouView interface has reduced the UI functionality available many years ago compared to at least 2 products I have that are nearing 10 years old - the primary extra being the backward EPG facility.

My point is that providing that additional functionality does not justify removing other functionality. Unfortunately, that is what has happened.

I suspect those who "are perfectly happy" with their box have never experienced anything else. My wife, who, by the way is far from a tinkerer, and does not have a degree in electronics, won't use the YouView box. Having used a basic Humax 9200T for many years, she finds the YouView interface clunky and non-user-friendly by comparison.

However, I have expressed my view, and, as you say, this is all subjective.......
    sam1 said:

I think some of the triallists misunderstood the purpose of the trial. It was obvious from the selection questions that YouView weren't seeking experienced beta-testers, they were looking for opinions from a cross-section of ordinary users.

"they were looking for opinions from a cross-section of ordinary users"

Why? When, for the most part, no notice has been taken of those opinions....?
    edited 3 August 2013, 12:55PM
    sam1 said:

Why were they gathering opinions? Perhaps for use in the publicity for the soft launch.

As for not taking notice, I imagine YouView have their hands full with the development plans they're already committed to, such as unicast and HTML5. I imagine suggestions made here do get some attention, but after all it's quite a small subset of users.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    The trouble with the YouView box is that in an age of fast cars, it's like a horse and buggy.

Except that it's not like a horse.... :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • pjbiddulphpjbiddulph Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 August 2013, 12:59PM
    I really cannot understand why YouView are paying ABSOLUTELY no attention to this rather long forum, which, mainly is about the ability to sort and hide channels in the UI. And, I note, the problems with the App.

I can only assume that, whilst they may be aware there is this forum out there, they just ignore it, and possibly hope it will go away.
    edited 7 September 2013, 4:41PM
    Roy1 said:

The trouble with the YouView box is that in an age of fast cars, it's like a horse and buggy.

Except that it's not like a horse.... :-)

:-)

Have to agree with you there.