Add DLNA functionality

Comments

• Flaggy FlagPantsFlaggy FlagPants Member Posts: 64
    edited 4 April 2013, 12:13PM

Anything allowing you to pull recorded programmes off YouView, either by DLNA/uPnP or by USB, are in serious risk of never actually happening.

Have you seen the price of BBC box-sets? That gives an indication as to why it won't happen.

BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 are all close partners in YouView. Opening up the USB to copy programmes, or allowing them to be served over a network (and therefore copied too) are not realistically going to be sanctioned by BBC. If you've ever tried to copy iPlayer content, and know what lengths they go to to stop this on all platforms, then you might have some appreciation of what I'm saying.

They aren't just going to hand this to people on a plate. The other manufacturers have none of the same restrictions regarding this.

Playing media off USB, and a DLNA client to play your other networked media are probably the best you can hope for in this area.

Stuart, I'm not saying it's technically impossible, or even difficult. The "issue" is purely commercial is my point.

All the other box manufacturers aren't in cahoots with those content providers. It's therefore in the best interests of those partners not to offer these methods of access. As it could increase bit torrent, and other distribution, of things they could be selling on disc or demand elsewhere.

Although Humax produce a FreeView PVR and a YouView PVR based upon one of their FV PVRs, the YouView specification is deliberately restricted in these areas. Quite purposefully, and pretty logically too from a commercial perspective.

See my point?
    edited 4 April 2013, 12:21PM
    redchiz said:

DLNA was invented (cobbled together would probably be a better way of describing it) by SONY. Dig deep and do a bit of research and you may find that it is not at all the wondrous open connectivity system that you may imagine.

Plex is great. Especially since they added DLNA to it.

I have a DLNA router with HDD attached, most things in the house have DLNA but my Roku box doesn't, it has Plex player. So I have an old laptop that runs Plex server and accesses the router HDD that serves my Roku well.

It also allows me to watch my collection when I'm away from home. Pretty efficiently too.
  • JonWillJonWill Member Posts: 17
    edited 4 April 2013, 12:24PM

Anything allowing you to pull recorded programmes off YouView, either by DLNA/uPnP or by USB, are in serious risk of never actually happening.

Have you seen the price of BBC box-sets? That gives an indication as to why it won't happen.

BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5 are all close partners in YouView. Opening up the USB to copy programmes, or allowing them to be served over a network (and therefore copied too) are not realistically going to be sanctioned by BBC. If you've ever tried to copy iPlayer content, and know what lengths they go to to stop this on all platforms, then you might have some appreciation of what I'm saying.

They aren't just going to hand this to people on a plate. The other manufacturers have none of the same restrictions regarding this.

Playing media off USB, and a DLNA client to play your other networked media are probably the best you can hope for in this area.

Agree with this point - but also feel that this should not affect client functionality - should this be a separate feature request?
    edited 4 April 2013, 12:39PM

I just want to play music from my network storage NAS on the TV via the YOUVIEW box. Please add this APP.

Although I already have DLNA renderer on my BluRay so no need for it on my YV, I play music through DLNA all the time. In the lounge it plays through my BR player onto my AV receiver. And because it can be controlled through a smartphone or tablet, there's no need to turn the TV on to do it.

So people do use DLNA/uPnP set ups like this.
    edited 4 April 2013, 12:43PM

Client (renderer) I could see happening. Although why when there's going to be no extra income from it?

Their only justification would be to attract more people to the platform. And I think they're doing that already by working with TalkTalk and BT reducing the need to shell out up-front for the boxes.

I would imagine that access to your own owned media through the box will be of low priority if any at all. As there's a lot more money in keeping you interested in what they're selling from Sky and Co.
    edited 4 April 2013, 12:48PM
    redchiz said:

DLNA was invented (cobbled together would probably be a better way of describing it) by SONY. Dig deep and do a bit of research and you may find that it is not at all the wondrous open connectivity system that you may imagine.

AirPlay can be more problematic using exclusive Apple platforms than DLNA is over a wide variety of manufacturers devices and differing operating systems.

And that's going some. As redchiz points out, it can throw up some curious situations from time to time.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 4 April 2013, 1:08PM

Yes, I see your point. I saw your point in your earlier comment but the content providers will surely be happy for their programmes to be seen on a variety of devices so I don't see that as being a hurdle to implementing DLNA.
    edited 4 April 2013, 1:10PM
    redchiz said:

I have never had any problems with AirPlay.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 8:12PM

As the suggestion has come up a number of times in the past 24 hours, perhaps worth pointing out that YouView doesn't sell any content and doesn't take a share of the money paid to NOW TV, TalkTalk or BT.
  • ShantiShanti Member Posts: 1
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    All we're talking about here is the ability to watch recorded content on a tablet or other device - this has been possible for many years on a PC !

Posts suggesting that rights worries are an issue completely miss the fact that ALL of these channels, including the HD ones, are transmitted without any encryption whatsoever - they always have been, and unless a whole heap of TVs and PVRs are going to be binned, they will be for many years to come.

Youview pull your finger out and enter the right century.
    edited 11 April 2013, 8:02PM
    Shanti said:

All we're talking about here is the ability to watch recorded content on a tablet or other device - this has been possible for many years on a PC !

Posts suggesting that rights worries are an issue completely miss the fact that ALL of these channels, including the HD ones, are transmitted without any encryption whatsoever - they always have been, and unless a whole heap of TVs and PVRs are going to be binned, they will be for many years to come.

Are you sure you're right about HD programmes? My previous DVR had DLNA functionality but the HD recordings could only be played back and viewed on the device where they were recorded.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    Shanti said:

When it comes to rights management and licencing, common sense seems to go out of the window. It is a complex and mostly bizarre issue that is not as simple as you have indicated.
  • mel2mel2 Member Posts: 6
    edited 12 April 2013, 4:40PM
    Shanti said:

I currently record HD programmes on my Panasonic DVR and watch them on my Panasonic TV via DLNA (wired Ethernet connection). They appear to be playing in HD, they certainly look better than SD.

I also record HD and SD directly from the TV to a USB hard drive. These can only be played on the device from which they were recorded.
  • mel2mel2 Member Posts: 6
    edited 12 April 2013, 4:46PM
    Shanti said:

I have also recently copied an SD programme from Film4 to DVD on my Panasonic DVR using the inbuilt DVD recorder. The result is playable on other devices. There do not seem to be any rights management barriers, which surprised me.
  • TechnogranTechnogran Member Posts: 152
    edited 12 April 2013, 7:46PM
    Shanti said:

There isn't for any SD content, its usually only high def that you are not allowed to copy.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 12 April 2013, 11:49PM
    Shanti said:

Panasonic PVRs allow you to copy High Definition to DVD once and the DVD is playable on any machine.
  • Joe MoserJoe Moser Member Posts: 2
    edited 23 July 2013, 11:01AM
    I am really disappointed that the USB port does not allow for stored media to be viewed through Youview. This should be added with an update along with full navigation to media stored on an external NAS device. It's really poor that these simple functions have not already been included.
  • Ben LayashiBen Layashi Member Posts: 8
    edited 21 April 2013, 3:56PM
    DLNA is a must. I have a Samsung Smart Tv and the fact that i can quickly show my family new picture i received on my Phone or a clip is so wonderful. no need to get all people looking at small device at the same time when you can simply send it off to main Tv. Youview must have this and have usb access enabled as well as an android apps. I have noticed that the scart issue has been resolved so i am very pleased that i can watch my recorded program in bed. we need the rest implemented ASAP. otherwise i love my box and would not mind having more.
  • John WatkinsJohn Watkins Member Posts: 3
    edited 3 June 2013, 8:01AM
    At the very least a DLNA client to allow playback of media stored on NAS - the greater the format support the better :-)
  • Steve ArcherSteve Archer Member Posts: 121
    edited 9 August 2013, 8:31PM
    DLNA yes please it would be a fantastic blend for the youview system !!!
  • elzikoelziko Member Posts: 1
    edited 16 July 2013, 12:48PM
    If DLNA client functionality existed with support for subtitles and DD5.1/DTS pass-though I'd buy one of these boxes.
  • The MeekThe Meek Member Posts: 251
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    If you want DLNA it's best to forget YV and switch to a Synology NAS (other makes available) with DVBlink installed.

My RS812+ with 12TB & PCTV 290e DVB-T2 tuners works great and all over WiFi to every smart TV.

...and no DRM on recordings!
    edited 22 July 2013, 3:45PM
    The Meek said:

If you want DLNA it's best to forget YV and switch to a Synology NAS (other makes available) with DVBlink installed.

My RS812+ with 12TB & PCTV 290e DVB-T2 tuners works great and all over WiFi to every smart TV.

oh...

and has remote record via DigiGuide EPG "second-screen" in app's and thin client!
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    The Meek said:

RS812+ is £695.30 from Amazon (but free delivery).
    Smiley
    Nice thought but I think I'll hope to see it on YouView.
    edited 22 July 2013, 5:18PM
    The Meek said:

I take your point re' cost, but I have a RR model, works on lower cost units too...http://is.gd/gBuu48 and provides redundant whole-home media back-up, AirPlay, FTP, web server etc. etc...

Don't hold your breath for YV. look how slow they have been with remote record app's... they must have one part time programmer!... and he's probably now on his hol's.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,520 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    The Meek said:

All I want is the Roku 3 in the UK
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    The Meek said:

Sung in a pathetic voice:
    "All I want for Christmas is me two front teeth..."
    The Meek said:

That should be 'Chrithmath'....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • John WatkinsJohn Watkins Member Posts: 3
    edited 23 July 2013, 12:04AM
    The Meek said:

But a YV box *is* a smart TV
    The Meek said:

That's funny. My Smart TV has a big multicoloured thing on the front when I switch it on and my YouView box hasn't got one of those at all :-(