BT Sport channel gears up late-summer launch

14567810»

Comments

• northernnorthern Member Posts: 241
    edited 30 November 2014, 1:48PM
    gomez said:

No technical reason at all. All you need is the BT firmware for the Youview box which they can push out to you at the push of a button. It is their ordering systems which are incapable as they didn't think it through about *all* the possible ways people could be coming at this.

So it doesnt look as if I will ever be able to watch BT Sport on my retail YouView box via copper .. although it could be done if BT were bothered
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 22 July 2013, 4:10PM
    Visionman said:

This is interesting and I don't understand it either -

After watching England crush the Aussies in the Ashes, I flicked over to ESPN and I saw an advert which stated - "Pre-season friendlies on ESPN, brought to you by BT Sport." Yet the ownership doesn't switch until the 1st Aug. Confused, to say the least.

On a separate note, how many users on here have are getting the BT Sport channel(s) promos?

Yes, promos on BT 1&2 and BT HD 1&2, as well as ESPN
  • The MeekThe Meek Member Posts: 251
    edited 22 July 2013, 5:10PM
    BT have made an @r$e of this. Evey employee I've spoke with has been confused.

Facts;

1) BT Vision+ box cannot receive HD terrestrial channels as it only has DVB-T tuners but does have a viewing card slot.

2) HD content requires >4Mbps bandwidth to stream without buffering

3) YV box does not have a viewing card slot

4) BT Sport terrestial transmissions require a viewing card to decode them (hence rumored £10 set-up fee)

3) Infinity is "superfast broadband" (>24Mbps)

It appears that BT customers cannot receive terrestrial 1080i (aka full HD) BT Sport HD as the BT Vision+ box does not have DVB-T2 tuners, and the YV box does not have a viewing card slot.

BT Personnel are telling customers that Infinity is required to stream BT Sport & BT Sport on a YV box. Why? HD only requires ADSL2 or above.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    @The Meek

Yes, they've made an **** of this launch.

1) True.

2) Not true. The HD Mbps speeds will between 7.5 - 10Mbps, as evidenced in the Opeanreach Content Connect document.

3) True. But DTT encrypted channels were never an option for YouView.

4) Its not a rumour. Via BT Vision, it costs £10 for the viewing card.

5) I thought it was anything above 15Mbps.

Via BT Vision on DTT, the channels are SD only.

Why are BT Personnel telling customers that Infinity is required to stream BT Sport & BT Sport on a YV box? Because fibre is the future.

And even as it stands today, BT's fibre network already exceeds the area covered by the Virgin Media network. And is expanding rapidly. And its also far cheaper for providers to provide live internet channels via fibre Multicasting, as opposed to traditional unicast ADSL streaming. So this is a major factor too.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • The MeekThe Meek Member Posts: 251
    edited 22 July 2013, 5:47PM
    Let's also not forget who is funding "better broadband for Britain", the majority of FTTC rollout... The UK tax payer. Not BT.
    The Meek>
    Let's also not forget who is funding "better broadband for Britain", the majority of FTTC rollout... The UK tax payer. Not BT.
    Really? I didn't know about this. Could you expand? Or anyone else, for that matter.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 22 July 2013, 6:09PM
    Visionman said:

The Meek>
    Really? I didn't know about this. Could you expand? Or anyone else, for that matter.He probably means this https://www.gov.uk/government/policie...

Although the figures stated there don't come close to the £2.5bn BT have apparently committed
    I've just tried hooking up two BTV boxes to watch the internet TV channels and/or On Demand at the same time. It wouldn't have it. Ah well.
  • YVwatcherYVwatcher Member Posts: 1
    edited 23 July 2013, 5:10AM
    gomez said:

No technical reason at all. All you need is the BT firmware for the Youview box which they can push out to you at the push of a button. It is their ordering systems which are incapable as they didn't think it through about *all* the possible ways people could be coming at this.

Well you have asked BT about this quite a few times, so you know the answer don't you Keef?
  • eggynewyddeggynewydd Member Posts: 4
    edited 23 July 2013, 8:52AM
    I'm a BT infinity and YouView customer. I received the email from BT explaining how to setup the BT sport channels on my box. I followed the instructions and instead of seeing content on the channels, I get this:

"Error message IPC-6023, “There is a problem receiving this channel”

This message means that your YouView box has found a problem that may affect your picture quality.

The message will only appear every 15 minutes, but if you can still watch the channel OK, you can switch the message off. Do this by going to Settings > TV Signal & Quality > Picture Quality Alert for Internet Channels."

This is with the Youview box connected to my router via ethernet cable. I'm not confident that the new channels are going to work for me as the Youview box struggles with iPlayer and ITV player as it is. This is the second Youview box I've had (BT replaced the old one due to some duff software).
    Uh-oh... Sky Fight back in an attempt to stop defectors/additions to BT's BB & phone base. BT's going to go ballistic about this.

Exclusive transfer offers for Virgin Media customers [only]

Free credits for BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN with the [Sky] Sports bundle. Worth £159.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/355...

But I cannot find the page on the Sky website.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    Visionman said:

Uh-oh... Sky Fight back in an attempt to stop defectors/additions to BT's BB & phone base. BT's going to go ballistic about this.

Exclusive transfer offers for Virgin Media customers [only]

Free credits for BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN with the [Sky] Sports bundle. Worth £159.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/355...

Highly entertaining!
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    Perhaps only visible to VM users.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    sam1 said:

Perhaps only visible to VM users.Ah! Good point, sam.
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 3:39PM
    sam1 said:

Perhaps only visible to VM users.I cannae see it ...& I'm shamelessly slagging my way around as many "give us all your money & your soul too" Sky pages as I can, wantonly flaunting my Virgin Media IP address as I go. They aint biting!

*feels unattractive* Smiley
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 July 2013, 7:19PM
    sam1 said:

Perhaps only visible to VM users.http://exclusive-offers.sky.com/
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 3:39PM
    sam1 said:

Perhaps only visible to VM users.Ah-haaaaaa! Well hidden, then ...cheeky Skysters.

Nice one sam. So it is still up and running.

http://exclusive-offers.sky.com/

And despite all the asterisks, they appear to be marketing the BT Sport and ESPN channels themselves (which they are not). Methinks an ASA complaint will be winging its way...
    And Sky have now changed the offer for VM users to switch again. And theres some serious cash being thrown around here -

Join Sky TV with The Sports Bundle and get credits for BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN for 12 months worth £159 - as well as a free 2TB box and 12 months free unlimited broadband.

Free credits for BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN with The Sports Bundle – worth £159

Free Fibre Unlimited or Unlimited Broadband with The Sports Bundle* – worth over £90.

Free award-winning Sky+HD 2TB box with The Sports Bundle – worth £149.

http://exclusive-offers.sky.com/?disp...

Thats £400 worth of discounts whilst paying over £500 a year.

Believe in better? Nah, believe in worried.

And it also evidences the kind of profits they make, to be able to offer such a stupendously ridiculous offer. But they don't like competition. Period. And will be prepared to take a massive short term hit to gain a long term monopoly.

Guess it just goes to show what the introduction of competition can do.