Channel List Management

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    sam1 said:

I think some of the triallists misunderstood the purpose of the trial. It was obvious from the selection questions that YouView weren't seeking experienced beta-testers, they were looking for opinions from a cross-section of ordinary users.

Small, yes, and getting smaller........ Perfect way to lose previously loyal supporters - ignore them.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 3 August 2013, 7:03PM
    sam1 said:

I think some of the triallists misunderstood the purpose of the trial. It was obvious from the selection questions that YouView weren't seeking experienced beta-testers, they were looking for opinions from a cross-section of ordinary users.

Loyalty is for people, not stb's. IMO
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    stuart621 said:

This forum represents a tiny number of YouView users. There are loads of people here who aren't happy because the box does not work the way THEY want it to. YouView is trying to provide a box for the masses - something which just plugs in and works. Yes, there are some problems but which item of technology doesn't have flaws?

I suspect that most people using YV boxes are perfectly happy with them and they don't need a degree in electronics to figure out how to work it. It's obvious from many of the posts here that a lot of contributors like to tinker with gadgets and customise things to work the way they want them to (look at the number of references to Roku, Topfield, Raspberry Pi etc etc) I would suggest that the YV box is probably not for them and it is never going to have the potential for the amount of tinkering which they want to be able to do.

Things like the UI are very subjective and personally, I can't see anything wrong with it at all. For me, it is the only PVR I use and I can't see any reason why it should be a secondary or backup box. But each to their own.

Also I'm not sure there is a lot of mileage in comparing it to products of 10 years ago - technology moves on and things which maybe seemed a good idea then might not be seen by YV as a good idea now. If they were the case, we'd still be using floppy discs and Zip drives on our computers.

As I said, it is all very subjective but I think anyone who bought this box expecting it to do things it doesn't has only really got themselves to blame if it doesn't live up to expectations. Again. I acknowledge that there are some bugs with it but nothing which makes it unusable in my opinion.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I know many will disagree but then that's what forums like this are all about, isn't it?

I'm sure there are many people who are satisfied with YouView Stuart but with a few minor improvements might they be even more happy?

Personally I still think the YouView concept is fantastic and there is a lot to like about it, but it's let down by some basic flaws. I agree that YouView is not the device for techies or people who like to tinker, but most of the feature requests I see on these forums are fairly basic. The three things which prevent YouView from being my primary PVR, for instance, are not at all advanced or niche. In fact they're all relatively minor and I'm sure could be quite easily fixed -

1 Favourites list / channel ordering
    2 Show full programme synopsis in EPG
    3 Speed of menu / EPG navigation needs to be drastically improved
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 3 August 2013, 7:22PM
    stuart621 said:

This forum represents a tiny number of YouView users. There are loads of people here who aren't happy because the box does not work the way THEY want it to. YouView is trying to provide a box for the masses - something which just plugs in and works. Yes, there are some problems but which item of technology doesn't have flaws?

I suspect that most people using YV boxes are perfectly happy with them and they don't need a degree in electronics to figure out how to work it. It's obvious from many of the posts here that a lot of contributors like to tinker with gadgets and customise things to work the way they want them to (look at the number of references to Roku, Topfield, Raspberry Pi etc etc) I would suggest that the YV box is probably not for them and it is never going to have the potential for the amount of tinkering which they want to be able to do.

Things like the UI are very subjective and personally, I can't see anything wrong with it at all. For me, it is the only PVR I use and I can't see any reason why it should be a secondary or backup box. But each to their own.

Also I'm not sure there is a lot of mileage in comparing it to products of 10 years ago - technology moves on and things which maybe seemed a good idea then might not be seen by YV as a good idea now. If they were the case, we'd still be using floppy discs and Zip drives on our computers.

As I said, it is all very subjective but I think anyone who bought this box expecting it to do things it doesn't has only really got themselves to blame if it doesn't live up to expectations. Again. I acknowledge that there are some bugs with it but nothing which makes it unusable in my opinion.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I know many will disagree but then that's what forums like this are all about, isn't it?

As I said, it's all subjective. I had a 'Favourites' option on my last PVR and never used it. The full synopsis might be useful but I don't see the menu or EPG navigation as being any slower than the Fox T2 I had previously or the Sky + I had before that. Before that, I had a Topfield which was much slower than the YV box and a UI. That looked as if it was designed on a Sinclair Spectrum.
    stuart621 said:

Some of it is subjective but I think most people would agree that a favourites list is a very basic and oft-used PVR feature.

Going slightly off topic here but something must have wrong with your Topfield if it was slower than YouView. Seriously. It's renowned for it's fast response time, it's near instantanoues. In fact that's the primary reason I still use it for watching live TV. YouView by comparison feels laggy, the EPG data for instance, is not always immediately available when I browse back/forward in the guide.
    edited 3 August 2013, 7:59PM
    stuart621 said:

My Topfield was the worst piece of kit I ever owned. It missed recordings; needed all sorts of things downloaded from the Internet to give it basic functionality; the EPG and UI were clunky and ugly... I could go on. It only lasted about three months and I was glad to see the back of it. The YV box is streets ahead of it.
    stuart621 said:

Fair comment about the downloading stuff and configuration etc. If it missed recordings I can't really argue with that but I've found my Topfield to be very reliable. I cannot say the same thing about YouView. The UI is subjective and the default UI is certainly not a thing of beauty but I find MyStuff to be super fast and very user friendly. Even my parents love it, and my dad is not good with technology, he struggles to operate the toaster! :-) Anyway, I fear we're veering off topic here and like you say, each to their own.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    sam1 said:

Good point sam. Excellent point. Who owns set-top boxes? Well, fumble me, they turn out to be people :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • ToneTone Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 July 2014, 9:17PM
    It doesn't look like it at the moment, however, will it be possible to restore hidden channels one at a time instead of all at once? Currently, if you want one channel back, you have to restore them all, then go and hide them all again, except the one you want. What I'm thinking is that when you press the yellow button to edit the channel list, all the channels are shown, with the X's against the ones already hidden, so that you can add or remove individual channels from the list.
  • Glug LugGlug Lug Member Posts: 12
    edited 15 August 2013, 4:12PM

This is a critical shortfall, on the Main Box and especially in the Android app. I don't want to have to scroll through all the radio stations to get to BBCHD listings. At least on the box you can hide channels, but they are still in a random channel order, it's worse on the app. Can't understand how this was not a day one feature it has been on many Freeview boxes since they were first launched.

I think "most people" want to be able to rearrange their box exactly as they please without someone else telling them what in their self-important opinion they ought to want. And most people like to rearrange their channels. This has been a basic feature of boxes for many years now so why is it so hard to include in this expensive piece of clunk?
    edited 16 August 2013, 5:49PM
    I agree with most people here. I want to sort the channels into an order of my choosing. It seems people have been asking YouView for this for almost a year now and they aren't listening. Luckily I've only just bought mine so I'm sending it back!
    edited 15 August 2013, 4:27PM
    sam1 said:

I hope I'm loyal to the people I'm close to. If I thought I was in danger of developing feelings of loyalty toward a set-top box I'd sell it.
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Glug, out of interest, what box will you choose instead?
    edited 16 January 2017, 9:32AM
    I'll have to look into it very carefully this time but I'm thinking the Humax HDR-FOX T2. I'm hoping it'll have all the usual standard Humax features and none of this YouView fiasco. This is just one of my gripes. I can't seem to be able to search the EPG either. I gather some of my other issues may have been solved with an update but I'm not banking on it. I think I'll just get a standard pvr and stick with my laptop plugged into the telly for those rare occasions when I actually miss something.
    edited 15 August 2013, 4:51PM
    Glug Lug said:

I'll have to look into it very carefully this time but I'm thinking the Humax HDR-FOX T2. I'm hoping it'll have all the usual standard Humax features and none of this YouView fiasco. This is just one of my gripes. I can't seem to be able to search the EPG either. I gather some of my other issues may have been solved with an update but I'm not banking on it. I think I'll just get a standard pvr and stick with my laptop plugged into the telly for those rare occasions when I actually miss something.

I've not used the Humax Fox-T2 myself, but it seems to be quite popular.

I'm thinking of getting a Humax Freesat box.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    sam1 said:

A very good point sam. But it's very easy to get caught up in an emotional way with this YouView stuff. For me the problem is a feeling that a really good product is just out of reach, and this is very frustrating because no matter how much energy we expend on posting to the forum at the end of the day it's all beyond our control.
  • chris2chris2 Member Posts: 8
    edited 15 August 2013, 5:32PM
    Glug Lug said:

You will not go far wrong with the fox 2 it's a great machine, I am still using mine till they sort out the channel ordering, youview is just to much of a faf. jumpy about trying to find the channels !! and only then will I switch back on my youview box
    edited 15 August 2013, 5:42PM
    Glug Lug said:

That's what I'm thinking. And I don't need to catch up on things I've missed that often anyway.
    edited 15 August 2013, 5:47PM
    sam1 said:

I have no sense of loyalty towards people making mega-bucks at my expense, especially if they're taking the mick. It's going back. If they get they're act together I might revisit the whole YouView thing in a couple of years' time but in the meantime I don't watch that much tv anyway and the whole reason I need a pvr is cos I tend to like to watch obscure things that are on at bizarre times but I want to be in bed by 10.30!
    youview is just to much of a faf. jumpy about trying to find the channels !! and only then will I switch back on my youview box
    I don't think there are any plans to introduce channel re-ordering.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    The nearest I have seen to any suggestion YouView might be considering implementing a channel reordering or favourites list feature was a post by Piers on 24/4/2013 on another topic where he said:
    The work done in the April release that's being rolled out now to Humax boxes to filter the EPG by genre/type may help with favourites and channel re-ordering too.
    So certainly not a firm indication they are working on it but certainly a suggestion more recent developments could provide some of the code for such a feature in due course. If they had definitely ruled out a channel reordering feature then I would not have expected Piers to mentioned the potential of the existing code as a basis for such a development in the future.
    Thanks Keith. I agree, that does sound like it's a possibility. Not a priority for me, but a lot of people have asked for it.
  • Marc SchofieldMarc Schofield Member Posts: 2
    edited 20 January 2017, 12:24PM
    Oh no. I've stumbled across this thread looking for how to add favourites to the YouView channel selections. I thought I was missing something obvious but alas seems not. Really disappointed with this, given the 'adult channel' is right next to BBC, ITV and Channel 4 HD channels. Why can't they at least put the adult content at the end of the number listings?

Also don't seem to be able to record subscribed channels as they are listed as internment channels.

Setting to think I've got the wrong box now...
    edited 21 August 2013, 12:01AM

Oh no. I've stumbled across this thread looking for how to add favourites to the YouView channel selections. I thought I was missing something obvious but alas seems not. Really disappointed with this, given the 'adult channel' is right next to BBC, ITV and Channel 4 HD channels. Why can't they at least put the adult content at the end of the number listings?

Also don't seem to be able to record subscribed channels as they are listed as internment channels.

You can hide the adult channels in the EPG.
  • tjtj Member Posts: 25
    edited 29 August 2013, 7:25PM
    Hi all
    when will channel manager be added to the yv box this box is dated before it came out .My channels are all over the shop no logic at all can this be sorted now please
  • Marc SchofieldMarc Schofield Member Posts: 2
    edited 21 August 2013, 10:11PM

Thanks Stuart, good to know. I'll play about with the features a little more. Still think there should be a favourites option however. Also just noticed whilst you can record two channels at the same time, you can't watch a defirent pre recorded programme. BT Vision offer that function as do Virgin, so this is definitely a step backwards
    edited 21 August 2013, 10:16PM

You should be able to watch a recorded programme while two programmes are being recorded. What happened when you tried to do this and couldn't? Was there an error message?
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    Tj it seems Youview unfortunately are very slow at getting things moving or even agreeing to implement very useful features.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    The Youview team are very busy working on many new features. Just because some people think a feature is useful, does not mean that everyone will. I have no interest in the channel management enhancements. There are other features that I would rather YouView work on. So, they have to have a balance on what they should do next. It is not just a case of 'there are people on the forum requesting a feature, we had better do it'.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    drhowells

I am getting rather tired of the glacial rate of improvement, though, and knowing that every update will be two steps forward and one step back, unless of course yours is one of the boxes chosen to be bricked entirely by any given update.

The moment some Far Eastern company comes up with support for a backwards EPG on a half-decent PVR, retail sales of YouView boxes will vanish in a puff of smoke.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris