Aspect ratio constantly changing

calvin heathcalvin heath Member Posts: 54
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Since the new update (and when my TV is set to automatic ratio) my youview box seems to constantly sent the wrong signal to the tv making the picture "stretch" to the wrong ratio which is very annoying. The only way to get it back is to turn the channel over and back again, although sometimes it turns itself back to the correct aspect. Did anyone else start having this issue recently?

Comments

• robert.inksonrobert.inkson Member Posts: 75
    edited 19 July 2013, 1:29PM
    same here, only happened since last update, it does my head in zooming in and out and you also you cant see bottom of guide and on demand screen.
  • calvin heathcalvin heath Member Posts: 54
    edited 4 June 2013, 8:17AM
    So there is a problem with the update. Out of interest, what make of TV do you have? Mine is a Panasonic. You can temporarily stop the problem by changing the TV aspect ratio from auto to fixed 16:9. Most programs are broadcast in this aspect but you might have to adjust it again for older ones. Hopefully YouView will sort this out in the next update.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    It does look like there's a problem for some Humax customers based on the comments here, so we'll discuss it with their engineers and see if we can find out what's changed and how to fix it.

It might be TV specific as we tested for several weeks here without seeing the issue. If you haven't already please contact our viewer support team to report the problems. thanks.

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use...
    mine is a Panasonic, its been fine up to last update so it must have something to do with that.
  • Steve AllenSteve Allen Member Posts: 47
    edited 3 September 2013, 10:21PM
    Possibly same fault as noted here:
    http://community.youview.com/youview/....

My TV is Toshiba 37XV556. I have actually seen this in the past but very rarely. Perhaps fixed in an earlier update and now returned? It can happen
  • MarcusMarcus Member Posts: 11
    edited 4 June 2013, 2:24PM
    I've seen this problem too - I have a Panasonic TX-L37G10B.
  • Jim Richardson2Jim Richardson2 Member Posts: 9
    edited 5 June 2013, 4:01PM
    My set is a Toshiba Regza 42 something or other ... 2 panasonics and two Toshibas .... do the above companies share some hardware ?

however I can only 'fix' this issue by rebooting the box there after everything is fine until you turn the tv off
    edited 4 June 2013, 11:03PM
    Piers2 said:

It does look like there's a problem for some Humax customers based on the comments here, so we'll discuss it with their engineers and see if we can find out what's changed and how to fix it.

It might be TV specific as we tested for several weeks here without seeing the issue. If you haven't already please contact our viewer support team to report the problems. thanks.

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use...

I reported it to them and they decided to treat me like an idiot saying the youview box cannot control the aspect ratio and to manually set it for every program using my TV settings. They like to ignore firmware related problems it would seem. THe box CAN send the wrong signal to the TV causing the fault.
    edited 4 June 2013, 11:02PM

My set is a Toshiba Regza 42 something or other ... 2 panasonics and two Toshibas .... do the above companies share some hardware ?

however I can only 'fix' this issue by rebooting the box there after everything is fine until you turn the tv off

Does it not work changing the channel and then back again?
    Got the same response as calvin,my TV is the problem according to support, rubbish, the problem only started after update 12.7.0.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    We've reproduced a problem that seems very similar on a Panasonic TX-L42U3B, and we're getting one for the lab so Humax can work on it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    edited 5 June 2013, 4:01PM

no I need to reboot ... maybe the toshiba only scans the port once ... I'l drop the box on another port to see if this makes a difference
    Thanks for that Piers. Will keep fingers crossed youview will come up with a solution. It really is an annoying problem.
  • Colin HiggsColin Higgs Member Posts: 3
    edited 6 June 2013, 12:47PM
    Since the new upgrade in software my television pictures seem to have a mind of their own and expand. I have checked the settings and am using 1080i along with automatic HD. Is this a glitch in the software on the You view box. I am a BT Broadband customer. I can switch to run my tv independantly of the box and have not got the same problem when doing so. Colin

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    picture size.
    edited 6 June 2013, 5:56PM
    Changing the hdmi port that the box is attached to has given some odd results
    1) if you switch off the box & TV and leave off for 30 mins + . Switch on the tv then the box you receive the youview message "nearly ready" for 2 or 3 seconds and then the box reacts normally .... could data have been written to the original hdmi port (on upgrade) that has left the port open ?
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    I also have this problem. Panasonic TX-L42ET5B. I have now switched the TV input from auto to 16:9 and will see if that helps.
    How have you got on TomW with 16:9 setting, im hoping youview find a fix soon. I don't want to have to start manually changing aspect ratio on different channels.
  • BoDBoD Member Posts: 69
    edited 11 June 2013, 6:24PM

How have you got on TomW with 16:9 setting, im hoping youview find a fix soon. I don't want to have to start manually changing aspect ratio on different channels.

Why would you - Youview changes it for you within the 1080p output.

Your TV was misdiagnosing the TV picture using it's "smart" or "auto" mode. Leave it on 16:9 forever. This assumes you are using HDMI and not SCART.
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭

@robert.inkson BoD is correct, if you switch your TV to 16:9 it fixes the problem. Older TV shows filmed in 4:3 will display in the correct aspect ratio but with vertical black borders. Personally I prefer this to cropped/zoomed 4:3 on a 16:9 screen which is what I got when I had the TV set to auto mode.
  • David Smith2David Smith2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 18 September 2014, 12:33PM

The ratio problem is not with the TVs but with the box, with normal widescreen pictures being stretched vertically giving them an odd look. It seems to affect mostly panasonic and toshiba TVs. Leaving your TV on 16:9 works okay but is not perfect
    edited 12 June 2013, 8:27AM

I agree. Some people's response is to ignore the problem apparently.
    edited 12 June 2013, 11:45AM

My Panasonic has been set to auto for nearly 2 years with no problems, then update 12.7.0 and it all goes out of the window, watch on its own tuner again perfect, sorry that's a box problem.
    edited 12 June 2013, 6:13PM

720p or 1080ip cannot be anything other than 16:9. If you choose AUTO or SMART you are asking your TV not to determine whether the output is 16:9 or 4:3 but to make the best of out of what Aspect it think's it is being fed. So... if the TV sees black lines at the top or bottom it will stretchzoom the image. Same if the black bars are at the sides. If you have set previously had your TV set to SMARTAUTO then you were viewing it wrong. Having had a whole range of Panas and Sonys I can tell you this with 100% confidence.
    Put it on 16:9 and watch it as it should be.
    edited 12 June 2013, 6:14PM
    Robert - no, the built in tuner can carry aspect ratio changing to the TV. 1080p has only one Aspect Ratio and therefore NEVER changes - 16:9.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Lovely idea BoD, but a screwed-up YouView box can do anything with the aspect ratio it damn well pleases, and whatever info it is sending, Panasonics and Toshibas are trying to make sense of.

You might think that Sonys, Samsungs and LGs are superior for not doing this, but maybe they aren't :-)

As a firm believer in setting 16:9 instead of Smart, I don't get the issue, but I sympathise with those who do. And since YouView have reproduced it, or something very like it, I guess it's about as real as it can be.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Steve PowellSteve Powell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited 15 November 2013, 4:20PM
    I have an issue with my Panasonic plasma in auto mode (I will try setting the TV to 16:9 later and see if it goes away). The issue I have is with the geometry of the picture when switching on the YouView box. There is always a black border on the right hand side of the screen on all channels, and even on the YouView graphics. If I go into settings and change the output from 1080p to 1080i, it fixes it, until the next boot. So the next time I go into settings and switch it back from 1080i to 1080p, and again it fixes it, for that session only. It's kind of annoying and seems a somewhat basic problem as I don't have any issues with the other four HDMI devices I have.
  • Steve PowellSteve Powell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited 15 November 2013, 4:20PM
    I've now tried setting the TV to 16:9 but it didn't make any difference. Still have a black border on the right hand side at startup, fixed each time by toggling between 1080i and 1080p. What with this, the box regularly forgetting the hidden channels and forgetting the BT extra channels, and finally a complete lockup watching Fox forcing a power off on the back, I'm beginning to think getting YouView might have been a mistake...