Recording Internet Channels

Ian9Ian9 Member Posts: 3
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
When will the software be updated to include the recording of Internet channels? I am a customer and I am not always available to watch program's as scheduled, so I would like the facility. I do note that the lack of this feature was conveniently not mentioned when I got my box.

Sorry if I missed some other post on this topic

Comments

• gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 4 August 2013, 10:05AM
    It is coming. I think I saw someone say end of this month.

It is common to not mention lack of features on all products. If it doesn't say it does something then it probably doesn't.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I'm still waiting for mine to brew a half-decent cup of tea....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Darren4Darren4 Member Posts: 12
    edited 3 September 2013, 8:38PM
    Is there an update to this? Im sure we were told it would be working a few weeks after BT Sport launched, its now been a month?

Am I in the right place? I expected this to be a hot topic here but I cant find much about it.

I rarely watch live tv, I wasn't aware I wouldnt be able to record internet channels before I signed up and without this feature I don't use them.
  • Paul_WhiteheadPaul_Whitehead Member Posts: 29
    edited 2 September 2013, 4:46PM
    Darren4 said:

Is there an update to this? Im sure we were told it would be working a few weeks after BT Sport launched, its now been a month?

Am I in the right place? I expected this to be a hot topic here but I cant find much about it.

I rarely watch live tv, I wasn't aware I wouldnt be able to record internet channels before I signed up and without this feature I don't use them.

Youview are getting to be a bit of a joke. They keep posting twitter updates about so called secret things, also comments of this forum concerning things in the pipeline yet we get nothing. Why keep stating things are coming and there are lots of exciting things coming, when we get nothing!
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    The recording facility for internet channels will be available once they have all been successfully integrated into the main EPG, it really is "coming soon."
    I wasn't aware I wouldnt be able to record internet channels before I signed up
    Whose fault is that?
  • Ian9Ian9 Member Posts: 3
    edited 30 October 2013, 7:08PM
    How difficult can it be to incorporate this into the EPG, the function for non- Internet channels is already there so come on YouView/BT get it sorted ASAP and keep your customer base informed on progress.
  • sugarpovasugarpova Member Posts: 37
    edited 6 November 2013, 8:50AM
    There is a TalkTalk trial running right now for integrating their internet channels into the epg.
    Presumably the same software development is required to record these TalkTalk channels and the BT internet channels.
    Perhaps YouView are waiting for the TalkTalk trial to complete before moving forward with the update to enable recording?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Darren>
    There has been no update. But it will/should be this month, barring any (trial) delays.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Lee BoolLee Bool Member Posts: 74
    edited 2 September 2013, 6:19PM
    But surely BT and TalkTalk have different box manufacturers and different software running them?
    BT already have their channels in the EPG and have done since day one.
    Sorry Lee, this thread is referring to the BT channels only. I have no idea when the TT trials are scheduled to finish.
    edited 2 September 2013, 7:20PM
    And being a BT customer, that's what I was referring to. :-)

Maybe the forum should have separate BT/TalkTalk areas?
    Why are you confused, lee? They are literally nearly on your doorstep. And your box too. Smiley
  • Steve PowellSteve Powell Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited 15 November 2013, 4:20PM
    Being able to record them is one thing that I really want. But if they don't also fix my issue where some days the box forgets that the extra BT channels have been set up and makes me do it again before watching one, it won't record them successfully anyway.
    edited 4 September 2013, 4:48PM
    redchiz said:

The recording facility for internet channels will be available once they have all been successfully integrated into the main EPG, it really is "coming soon."

Whose fault is that?I take it by this you mean it is my fault? Do you think BT have been open and frank enough about these limitations?
    edited 4 September 2013, 5:06PM
    redchiz said:

Whose fault is that?If businesses were open and frank about all the things their products *can't* do there would not be a box big enough to print the list on.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 17 November 2013, 7:05PM
    I'm hoping they'll be recordable by the time BT manage to actually get the IP channels working for me. We have FTTP and there only appears to be a single person at BT that can do anything regarding our account.
    edited 4 September 2013, 8:18PM
    redchiz said:

Whose fault is that?I see lots of "pause, rewind & record tv" but not so much "*except internet channels" on the website.
    Darren less than a minute ago
    I see lots of "pause, rewind & record tv" but not so much "*except internet channels" on the website.
    I thought they make the point quite plain. So its possible you just missed it.

Extra TV Channels on YouView

Get more laughs, more action, more drama and more documentaries. This great selection of 18 Extra TV channels has something to keep everyone entertained. So whether you like music, history, sport or comedy, you'll find it all and more with Extra TV channels on YouView.

Note: Extra Channels are available to Infinity customers only, subject to availability. Pause, rewind and record for Extra TV channels is coming soon to YouView

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com...
    edited 4 September 2013, 10:06PM
    Visionman said:

I see lots of "pause, rewind & record tv" but not so much "*except internet channels" on the website.

Get more laughs, more action, more drama and more documentaries. This great selection of 18 Extra TV channels has something to keep everyone entertained. So whether you like music, history, sport or comedy, you'll find it all and more with Extra TV channels on YouView.

Note: Extra Channels are available to Infinity customers only, subject to availability. Pause, rewind and record for Extra TV channels is coming soon to YouView

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com...On this page however http://www.productsandservices.bt.com...

"Note: YouView customers with BT Infinity will not be able to pause, rewind or record the BT Sport or Extra TV Channels. This functionality will be available within a few weeks of the launch of BT Sport."

But yes they never explicitly said you could record and pause etc
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Visionman said:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com...Ah, thanks Geraint. Thats the page I was actually looking for. Smiley
    edited 4 September 2013, 10:14PM
    Visionman said:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com...I take BT and YouViews timescales with a bucket of salt these days. I've stopped worrying about things that don't work. I can then be pleasantly surprised if they ever do
    Geraint Morris 1 hour ago
    I take BT and YouViews timescales with a bucket of salt these days. I've stopped worrying about things that don't work. I can then be pleasantly surprised if they ever do.
    I know what you mean... but they are actually on-track with their targets. And the recordable channels are actually live now, for those lucky enough to be testing them. And I suspect the new third party YouView app's aren't too far away either.
    Is one of their targets misleading theirs users as to when certain features will become available? They are certainly on-track with that. :p
    gomez said:

Is one of their targets misleading theirs users as to when certain features will become available? They are certainly on-track with that. :p

What features conforming to what targets?
    edited 5 September 2013, 1:34AM
    gomez said:

BT Sport being recordable by the end of August for one.
    gomez said:

Nope.
    edited 5 September 2013, 2:32AM
    gomez said:

Yep.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    YouView replied to this question via Twitter.
    They say that the update will be available this Autumn.
    edited 5 September 2013, 2:43PM
    Visionman said:

I take BT and YouViews timescales with a bucket of salt these days. I've stopped worrying about things that don't work. I can then be pleasantly surprised if they ever do.
    I know what you mean... but they are actually on-track with their targets. And the recordable channels are actually live now, for those lucky enough to be testing them. And I suspect the new third party YouView app's aren't too far away either.They might be on track with their internal targets, but they are being unclear to the rest of the world what those targets might actually be.

Within a few weeks of the BT Sport launch (1st August) certainly means to me perhaps 2-3 weeks. We're now in September and as far as I'm concerned Autumn is from around the 22nd September until around the 21st December. Even if you take it as September to November that would still take "a few weeks" to actually mean 4-17 weeks. That isn't a few by anyones reckoning.
  • Paul_WhiteheadPaul_Whitehead Member Posts: 29
    edited 5 September 2013, 2:51PM
    Visionman said:

I know what you mean... but they are actually on-track with their targets. And the recordable channels are actually live now, for those lucky enough to be testing them. And I suspect the new third party YouView app's aren't too far away either.Agree YouView bad BT have the habit of commenting on upcoming services BT concerning additional channels and being able to record Internet channels soon after the launch of BT Sport, YouView are even worse for the past year comments about additional on- demand companies and ability to record Internet channels. It seems to me that very little of note has happened this year apart from the launch of IP channels. Why comment and twitter if you are not ready or able to achieve those objectives!