New kit from TalkTalk?

DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
...And no, not the zapper box TalkTalk have been hinting about bringing in as a lower-cost option for customers.

From a post by TalkTalk Labs, a new box is to be trialled with the same features as the existing unit, but with improved hardware components:

...Seems the deadline to apply to take part has already passed, however - it was last Wednesday(!)

Comments

• Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 4 September 2013, 3:31PM
    Do we know anything about the box? I presume it is likely to be an updated Huawei with a larger hard drive. There was talk of a non-recording box being offered from next year but this is obviously not it.

A new model Huawei would not be entirely surprising given that they have probably issued most of the boxes they got from the initial production run. I recall a similar thing happened with VHS recorders. I worked for the Inner London Education Authority at the time and right at the start of VHS and Betamax they chose VHS recordings to replace their CCTV schools service. With over 1000 schools and many with more than one recorder (I remember the price was £450 ex VAT to them), they very soon exhausted the supplies of the latest model from JVC so the model changed and improved every 4 or 5 months and the badge name changed more frequently (though they were usually JVC or Baird which was then the own brand for Radio Rentals)
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/talkt...

Made by Huawei, same size hard drive, spot the difference.
  • sugarpovasugarpova Member Posts: 37
    edited 6 November 2013, 8:50AM
    I'm part of the trial.
    Like most of the other people taking part my overall impression is that it's faster.
    Start up time is quicker, epg populates quicker, response to remote control feels quicker.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Reading that link reminds me - what happened to gwatuk? Any idea, sugarpova?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    Roy1 said:

"gwOTuk" is in high eco mode
    edited 5 September 2013, 11:17AM
    Roy1 said:

Please explain Roy.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Roy1 said:

The prospect of an international tennis superstar hanging out in a forum about a UK PVR is highly unlikely, as is having the facility to handle animated smileys here without at least a little tuition.

I have therefore concluded that 'sugarpova' is an avatar for I don't know who (not much of a stretch) and for someone familiar with these forums (a bit more of a stretch).

Who surfaced just as a highly prolific poster here went dark. Someone who might just have gone on holiday out of Internet range, of course, if there is any such place these days, but who is still active elsewhere.

So I put two and two together, but may have possibly made five :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Roy1 said:

gwatuk
    Just as long as it isn't dudgeon. I wondered if you had been gagged by TalkTalk, perhaps, and needed an alias :-)
    edited 5 September 2013, 12:30PM
    Roy1 said:

It's those snogging lovebirds...

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

They just looked kind of familiar. :-)

But like Roy I'm ready to be put right. if I drew the wrong conclusion.
    Roy1 said:

Forgot to add 'and is on the TalkTalk trial' ....
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    The prospect of an international tennis superstar hanging out in a forum about a UK PVR is highly unlikely, as is having the facility to handle animated smileys here without at least a little tuition.
    It's not something I've ever experimented with, but don't you just copy-and-paste the link?

[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.ph...]
    edited 6 September 2013, 6:21AM
    Roy1 said:

How old are you Roy?
    Don't you realise that girls can understand HTML just as well as all you geeks?
    We can do all kinds of things these days...
    Roy1 said:

... Tends to start posting very early in the morning....

Nice.... i must get myself a copy when it comes out.

To answer your question (if my name, which seems to have dated badly, doesn't do that anyway) old enough to know that on the Internet, all is often not quite what it seems.

But I have spent most of my working life so far developing in a computer language designed by a woman, and quite a formidably informed one at that.

However, are you saying that any male who knows HTML is a geek, but any female who does, isn't? That's a bit.... differentiating, shall we say?
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 3:39PM
    Roy1 said:

Smiley
  • Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I have one of the new trial boxes form Talk Talk and can see no difference whatsoever.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 6 September 2013, 4:07PM
    Jim Suter said:

I have one of the new trial boxes form Talk Talk and can see no difference whatsoever.

Well they do say in the blurb in the original post "It is exactly the same as our current Plus TV Set Top Box" :-)
    Jim Suter said:

Perhaps the improved hardware components do not fail as quickly on the new boxes as on the old? In which case, differences may take up to a week to show up.....
    edited 7 September 2013, 7:16PM
    Roy1 said:

Roy...
    I have spent most of my working life so far developing in a computer language designed by a woman
    You must be talking about Cobol - "often been criticized for its verbosity".
    Beware of lengthy posts!
    Roy1 said:

But never for its readability. Nobody has ever called COBOL a "write only language".