Unwanted channels keep reappearing in the TV guide

Ashley KarylAshley Karyl Member Posts: 22
edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM in Archived Posts
At first I never had a problem but over the last week or two, presumably following a software update, my edited list of channels keeps defaulting to show all channels including the adult ones that and all those useless shopping channels we don't want appearing in the TV guide.

I keep removing them so it looks the way we want and then a day or two later they are all back there again!! When will this be fixed?

Comments

• ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 13 November 2013, 10:01AM
    Hi Ashley

What box have you got?

That sounds strange, as I have a retail Humax, and when Film4 changed over, I re-tuned my box, and thought "Oh no, I will have to hide all the unwanted channels again!"

But to my surprise (thanks YouView!), my box kept all the channels hidden. I didn't have to update anything, expect to hide channel 791 as I didn't need it, now I have the new one on channel 15.
  • Ashley KarylAshley Karyl Member Posts: 22
    edited 13 August 2013, 8:56AM
    I have the box provided by BT with their own logo on the front but it's a Humax underneath. I went through the Film 4 retune as well but this has now happened a few times and it seemed to coincide with the time when BT launched the sports channels, though that might be a coincidence. I have another TV upstairs with Freeview but not connected to a YouView box and that is fine.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 13 November 2013, 10:01AM
    Ahh! Sounds like it is a BT issue as i am not a BT customer, so I don't see those channels, hopefully someone form YouView may be able to shed some light on it, or you could try BT themselves and see what they say?

It would be interesting to know if this is affecting anyone else who has a BT box?
    edited 14 August 2013, 5:33AM
    I've just posted on the BT forum as well, though nobody else had mentioned the problem. Hopefully it will get sorted fairly quickly but this is my second box and they do seem to get a lot bugs, which is a shame because the overall package is great when it works and we don't miss Sky at all.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Ashley, what particular channels did you have hidden on the TV guide which have come back? Did they appear again after a re-tune or was this something you only observed after the most recent update to for Internet channels?

Phil
    edited 13 August 2013, 12:44PM
    We had all the adult, shopping and religious channels hidden previously as well as all the radio. This was something I observed after the internet channels appeared but subsequent attempts at retuning and removing the channels never seem to stick for more than a day or so before they reappear. I think the YouView box checks for updates every day.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 13 August 2013, 5:01PM
    I suggest you try changing the PIN.
    edited 13 August 2013, 5:16PM
    I'm still using the default one and it shouldn't make a difference but I'll give it go.
    edited 18 September 2013, 10:14AM
    I tried changing the pin number and it seemed to work for a while but now this problem is back. I then changed the pin again but it made no difference.

I also have the option selected not to show adult channels but they still appear and it's frankly embarrassing if you have visitors over but all they see is a long list of X rated channels when you switch on the TV.
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 1:56PM
    did you press the yellow button to apply after you hid the channels?
    edited 18 September 2013, 3:42PM
    Yes you have to do that to complete the selection and return to the normal guide. All the unwanted channels are then gone but a few hours later they are back...
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Ashley, you mention trying to change the pin- have you tried a re-tune of the box as well to see if this helped?
    edited 18 September 2013, 5:11PM
    Yes I have tried re-tuning the box 3 or 4 times. There is a thread on the BT forums and a couple others have the same problem so I know I'm not the only one.
  • sam1sam1 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013, 10:47AM
    Have you considered asking BT to resolve this - either sort out the fault or replace the box?

It's a nuisance because of losing the recordings, but this problem doesn't affect all Humax boxes so BT really ought to provide you with a box that works.
    edited 18 September 2013, 5:37PM
    I'll try contacting them tomorrow and see if they have any ideas, though from past experience they always want you to reset the box which deletes all the recordings.

BT changed another Humax set a few months ago and I'm finding these boxes very unreliable. At the moment we have a lot of programs recorded that we haven't managed to watch yet so it would be a pain frankly to lose them all.
    edited 19 September 2013, 10:07AM
    BT tell me that YouView are aware of this fault and trying to find a solution, however it is not limited to BT customers.
    It's not. See http://community.youview.com/youview/...

I don't quite see how that allows BT to shrug off its responsibility to sort out the problem for you, seeing as it certainly doesn't afflict ALL boxes. But it might be a lot of hassle trying to get them to do anything if they've decided against it.

At present, all problems seem to come up against this brick wall,"it's being looked at" response. Very unsatisfactory.
    I think it's pretty typical of many large companies once they have your money. It's so much easier to shrug your shoulders and claim everything is somebody else's responsibility. This isn't limited to technology companies by any means and just seems to be the way business is done nowadays with a few rare exceptions.
    edited 19 September 2013, 11:00AM

I think it's pretty typical of many large companies once they have your money. It's so much easier to shrug your shoulders and claim everything is somebody else's responsibility. This isn't limited to technology companies by any means and just seems to be the way business is done nowadays with a few rare exceptions.

True, sadly.