Aspect ratio

Amf ArmstrongAmf Armstrong Member Posts: 4
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I am watching Quest (38) in 4:3 (squashed) ratio when it should be 16:9 on every other channel the ratio is correct and on normal #freeview Channel Quest is ok why would this be ?

Comments

• BawmerBawmer Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Because Youview doesn't distort a programme produced in 4:3, which many TV's do (stretchyvision), but outputs the image in a 16:9 frame.
  • Amf ArmstrongAmf Armstrong Member Posts: 4
    edited 20 October 2014, 4:36AM
    the programme is produced in 16:9 but its been squashed to 4:3 as has everything else on Channel 38, but all other channels are fine and as I said its ok on freeview.
  • DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
    edited 13 June 2014, 3:39PM
    Aye, there's sommat not right on Quest today - ads are coming up in 4:3 (they're usually 16:9), whilst Tommy Walsh has been squashed in even further ...it's almost like watching vertical videos on YouTube from people who haven't figured out how to rotate their phones.

- I'm getting the same thing through Freeview on my TV though (I've got various stretchyvision options, but I prefer things as they were originally filmed), so it's not a YouView thing. Oddness.
    edited 27 September 2013, 7:56PM
    im confused, if I put Quest on normal freeview its fine. I put it through YouView its Squeezed into 4:3. So I think it is a Youview thing !
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi guys, thanks for raising this I will try and find out why this is happening and let you know.

Phil
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    @Amf Does your tv normally stretch 4:3 programmes to fill your 16:9 tv? If so, this is what your tv is doing. Youview boxes don't do that. It sounds like Quest aren't broadcasting the 16:9 flag.
    Chances are you've got a Picture Mode setting on your TV set to "Smart", "Full Screen" or somesuch?

I tend to keep these turned off on my TV, so what I see on screen is purely what's presented through the aeriel cable - hence, if I drop YouView & switch to Freeview on my TV I've got the same thing going on with Quest right now.

If I kick in some of my TV's picture mode settings, I can stretch that image out. Now, whereas this would normally munge, crop or otherwise distort the picture to fill the screen if I were receiving a 4:3 image (and circles become stretched into eggs), in this instance I'm actually getting a bonafide 16:9 widescreen image on my TV with everything in the correct ratio.

For some reason, what's being broadcast today is in itself out of kilter (and what should be circles are being squashed inwards and broadcast as eggs).

- It's about the only scenario where a smart picture mode on a widescreen TV will stretch a non-16:9 image to fill the full screen and yet actually present images in the correct ratio(!)

The reason you're not seeing this via YouView is that the box doesn't present the image through to the TV on a pass straight through basis - YouView drops the picture into the middle of a 16:9 frame, padding out any blank areas with black bars first ...thus, the TV now sees a 16:9 image and doesn't apply a smart filter to fill the screen.
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 17 November 2013, 7:05PM
    I'm getting the same. It was OK yesterday. Now it's wrong on both my YV box and all my TVs. Guess Quest have messed something up
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    Quest have done this before. Are the adverts in the correct ratio?
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 27 September 2013, 7:56PM

im confused, if I put Quest on normal freeview its fine. I put it through YouView its Squeezed into 4:3. So I think it is a Youview thing !

HDMI does not carry the control code to change from "square pixels" to "rectangular" ie stretch the picture horizontally so you rely on the box to send a properly formatted picture however this is also dependent on the box receiving the signal that the image is anamorphic (squeezed).

It looks like your Freeview box is sending a 4:3 image but you have set the TV to stretch any of these received via SCART. On most sets you can change the picture settings fit a 4:3 picture to a 16:9 display - often with a choice of cutting off the top and bottom ("zoom") or stretching it.

Long and short is that this problem, like the "accurate recording" failures on Five, is down to the broadcaster.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 27 September 2013, 7:57PM

No - Dr Oetker pizzas apparently come in rectangular boxes now.
  • Mikey2Mikey2 Member Posts: 15
    edited 30 September 2013, 6:28PM
    Same here. Everything in 4:3 via HDMI Not tried scart, as just got box
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM

They don't taste very nice either :)
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 1:56PM
    4.3 on youview and freeview.
  • Richard Smith1Richard Smith1 Member Posts: 7
    edited 28 September 2013, 3:46PM
    Humax box has just been replaced. Quest was fine on old box until it expired and now it comes up in a squashed 4:3 format - totally unwatchable unless I change the format on the tv - then I have to change back to watch other channels. Quest seems fine on other Freeview tvs.
  • Adam JennerAdam Jenner Member Posts: 2
    edited 29 September 2013, 4:19PM
    I'm seeing the same too.

Programs that I recorded weeks ago are fine but if I watch or record a 4:3 program on Quest today it gets squashed from both sides.

I have a Panasonic Freeview recorder also and this displays correctly.

The issue is definitely You View and has only manifested itself in the last few days.
    My TV's are showing this being broadcast as 4:3. The TV's will allow the picture to be stretched back to 16:9. Unfortunately YouView has no means of doing the same and outputs a fixed picture over HDMI.
    edited 29 September 2013, 5:28PM
    So youview what are you going to do about it ?
    Nothing wrong with Youview, it's Quest causing the problem.
    I'm sure when the Quest guys get back into the office on Monday they'll sort it out.
  • Adam JennerAdam Jenner Member Posts: 2
    edited 30 September 2013, 8:26AM
    It works perfect on my Panasonic Freeview TV and works perfectly on my Panasonic Freeview recorder.

It only happens when watching or recording through You View.

No adjustment to my TVs aspect ratio settings resolve it, the picture is squashed from both sides.
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Member Posts: 367
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:20PM
    I get it when watching True Entertainment . The 4:3 with the black bars either side I can cope with, but some broadcasts it just shows a small picture in the middle of the screen...
    A shot from a certain Joan Collins-featuring chocolate bar ad, broadcast by Quest this morning and shown via Freeview through my TV's internal tuner ...this is displayed as transmitted & received, no stretchyvision voodoo going on:

There's no YouView in this equation - it's a broadcast issue.

The ad was filmed in 16:9 widescreen, but for some reason Quest's broadcasts are misbehaving and squashing the pictures into a 4:3 envelope ...hence "Shrimpy" here is looking skinnier than he should as he gets a face full of sock from Joan.

Once we exit the ad break and return to the show being broadcast, if it was a native 4:3 programme, we'd see that squashing effect exacerbated yet further, resulting in a skinnier image still - this is what some of us have been seeing here.

As I mentioned earlier I can use one of my TV's stretchyvision filters to expand that envelope into a 16:9 image ...and, as the ad was originally in a 16:9 ratio, everything comes up with the correct proportions whilst the actual show I'm watching (if 4:3) sits nice & cleanly in centre screen, bordered by black bars.

This of course is different to using a stretchyvision filter on one of Quest's regular 4:3 programme broadcasts when they're not misbehaving (or something 4:3 from ITV4 or Drama for example, as many of those old, pre-widescreen shows are) to fill the screen - whilst the black bars are removed, the picture is out of proportion to its original scale.

Moving on from this particular issue with Quest and looking at the wider question of handling pre-widescreen 4:3 content, these effects are particularly visible via YouView because, by design, YouView takes a broadcast image and passes it within a 16:9 envelope to the TV
    ...thus widescreen pictures are seen as normal but older 4:3 programmes sit with black bars either side keeping the action on screen locked to scale within its original ratio.

Whilst many TVs or other boxes may apply a "fill the entire screen" algorithm, a 4:3 programme can't be converted to widescreen - it's either munged or cropped top & bottom and then zoomed in order to fill the screen.

Like it or not YouView have taken the decision that pictures will always be passed to a TV in their correct scale, with all the action included.

Which raises a question in my mind - many TVs, and indeed other set top boxes, offer stretchyvision filters ...but are there any out there which perhaps offer no choice at all and will *always* default to full screen regardless of whether a 16:9 or 4:3 programme is being received?
    Are there people out there forced to watch vintage dramas & comedies out of scale with overly rotund actors, cars with egg-shaped wheels, or parts of the picture removed completely? Are they unable to see 4:3 pictures to scale, even if they wish to?

Is this such a scenario YouView were mindful of avoiding when making that decision to package pictures into a 16:9 envelope? After all, there must have been a reason behind that desision, no?
    Funnily enough, an old Humax box forced people to watch 4:3 material stretched to 16:9 and so many people complained that they offered an option to watch it in 4:3.
    It would be nice to have the choice to use stretchyvision if you want to.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    Hi guys, after looking into it we have found that the same aspect ratio is also being output via Freeview signal as well from our test. If the TV allows it you would have to manually change the aspect ratio on the remote for the picture to correctly fit the screen if its 16:9. Some TV's have this set already so may explain the difference in picture when tested.

Phil
    edited 11 December 2016, 11:58AM
    Phil8 said:

Hi guys, after looking into it we have found that the same aspect ratio is also being output via Freeview signal as well from our test. If the TV allows it you would have to manually change the aspect ratio on the remote for the picture to correctly fit the screen if its 16:9. Some TV's have this set already so may explain the difference in picture when tested.

Phil

For some reason my old-ish Argos Acoustic Solutions TV won't let me do this.
    The setting allow to change the aspect ratio but it only seems to work with the built in dtv and not via hdmi or scart..
    So like I said to have the choice on the Youview box to change the aspect ratio would be a plus for many.
  • Richard Smith1Richard Smith1 Member Posts: 7
    So am I right in thinking this squashing of pictures on Quest (as illustrated above) is a Quest issue. It coincidentally happened after my Humax box was replaced by Humax a few days ago. I was thinking it might be a box issue. I wouldn't mind a 4:3 picture but not this squashed picture. My Freeview TVs are fine.
  • Plastivore2Plastivore2 Member Posts: 65
    edited 30 September 2013, 1:00PM
    That's one of the reasons why I would like to be able to use "stretchyvision". It's not the first time I have a channel broadcasting using the wrong aspect ratio appearing pillarboxed on YV.

I personally prefer watching 4:3 programmes pillarboxed, but there are some cases (albeit few, I agree) where it is useful to be able to use the TV's ability to zoom or stretch (keep in mind that many sets do not allow to stretch a 16:9 picture, as sent by the YV box).
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    Phil, I think this needs some looking at as I have just checked on my TV with Freeview vs Youview and I get the same issue, with both screens forced to 16:9 the Youview version is squished. There is no mode I can select on the Youview input to fix it.

Youview:

Youview photo 2013-09-30171727.jpg

Freeview:

Freeview photo 2013-09-30171629.jpg

So something is definitely amiss.