ITV Border Change

Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Announcements
Hi Everyone,

ITV are making technical changes to their Freeview service in the border TV region. The change will enable separate programmes to be broadcast to ITV Border’s two sub regions (ITV Border Scotland and ITV Border England).

Viewers in Scotland receiving their signal from the Caldbeck Scotland or Selkirk transmitter groups may need to retune their TV equipment today- Wednesday 13th November. Engineering work is expected to finish by midday anyone who finds they are missing ITV border should retune after this.

Freeview viewers watching English services do not need to retune.

For more information please follow the link:

http://www.itv.com/news/border/2013-1...

Phil

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    If Scotland votes for independence, are YouView still going to supply services in that foreign country? :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • chris2chris2 Member Posts: 8
    edited 16 January 2017, 9:32AM
    yes I wondered about that. why would UK GOV. pay for the Scottish transmitters upkeep and operation. we now sky would be no problem,but terrestrial could be .I can't see Scots GOV. paying to receive foreign TV. You only have to go to southern Ireland to see that they have huge Ariel masts so they can get TV from across the channel !!!!
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 1:56PM
    I live in London, but have just received an update, what is it for?
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 1:56PM
    I am nether BT nor Talktalk
  • Steve B1Steve B1 Member Posts: 13
    edited 14 November 2013, 8:47AM
    chris2 said:

yes I wondered about that. why would UK GOV. pay for the Scottish transmitters upkeep and operation. we now sky would be no problem,but terrestrial could be .I can't see Scots GOV. paying to receive foreign TV. You only have to go to southern Ireland to see that they have huge Ariel masts so they can get TV from across the channel !!!!

Actually the British government doesn't pay for any transmitters - the broadcasters do. The only "public" money is that paid out of the license fee by the BBC to the transmission company (Arquiva?).

Assuming Scottish independence does happen, then I would assume Scotland would have it's own regulator and perhaps a Scottish version of the BBC - however I would assume for everyone's convenience the Scottish equivalent of OFCOM would want to keep compatibility with the existing UK systems so that people wouldn't have to change their existing TVs and boxes, etc.

Companies like YouView, BT and TalkTalk would still exist and perhaps the new Scottish BBC may join the YouView consortium - but even if it did not YouView would still be able to receive the existing freeview signals and presumably broadband would still exist so would still receive the content delivered over broadband.
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 11:11AM
    chris2 said:

Hang on - a Scottish equivalent of the BBC would be a new entity, perhaps called the Scottish Broadcasting Company. It wouldn't be "the Scottish BBC".

BBC Worldwide would presumably have a rôle to play in the negotiations. But mostly the BBC Trust.
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 11:11AM
    chris2 said:

From a Guardian blog discussion on this question (2012):
    The most far-reaching would be for an independent Scotland to sever its links to the BBC entirely, and set up a new state broadcasting network. That would mean BBC audiences would have to subscribe to Sky or cable services which included BBC channels in their packages. Scotland would raise its own licence fee, and operate its own spectrum, transmitters and broadcasting authority.

But the Scottish government says its favoured model would be similar to Ireland's relations with the BBC. In 2010, the UK and Irish government's signed a new memorandum of understanding which agreed that BBC services would be available with Ireland via new digital channels, while the Gaelic Irish TV channel TG4, and RTE channels would be available in Northern Ireland in a not-for-profit joint venture.

However, the BBC has said that BBC services in Ireland are supplied on a commercial basis, and are not free to air...
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/r...