Channel List Management

Comments

• juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 17 November 2013, 9:40PM

what is the point of youview?? have a samsung smart TV which has all channels as player and receives all channels. They can ALL be moved to whatever order I want - Ace. 1 2 3 4 5 HD if available at the beginning instead of remembering numbers. The YouView box I have from TalkTalk is rubbbish and so - instead of suffering this nonsence - guess what. Its going back - what is the point in suffering a second rate piece of equipment.

You can certainly enter the channel number to change channel on a Toppy if you want to (and know what it is), but you can also rearrange the channels to appear in the EPG in whatever order you want. And although the LCNs don't appear by default (at least when using MyStuff), you can see what they are when a channel is selected if you want to know.

Other than LCNs 1-5, I have no idea what most of the channel numbers are, and no deire to, but I can certainly rearrange them in an order that makes sense to me to make it dead easy to find them. (For me this means the usual 1-5, then (excluding the +1s) the rest of the BBC channels, the rest of the ITV channels, the rest of the Ch 4 lineup, the rest of the Ch5 lineup, and then the few odds and ends that I keep on my machine that don't fall into those groups. I keep the +1 channels to allow the Toppy to resolve recording clashes, but I don't need to see them in the EPG for day-to-day use. I can take a pretty good guess at what they're showing without them wasting space on my EPG screen.

Since I can choose to see 11 channels at a time on one EPG page (using MyStuff), finding any channel is no hassle at all. In the unlikely event that I want to actually watch a +1 channel (I can't remember ever needing to), I can easily switch to an EPG view that shows them all.

And, as TomW says, nobody's suggesting renumbering the channels - just rearranging the order we see them in the EPG into something more logical to the individual that the apparent random numbering that the Powers That Be deem appropriate. (And let's face it, for some of the less popular channels, they chop and change those anyway.)

If Mrs Smith is going to get confused by that, she's not the type of user to choose to rearrange them anyway, so the issue simply doesn't arise.
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM

what is the point of youview?? have a samsung smart TV which has all channels as player and receives all channels. They can ALL be moved to whatever order I want - Ace. 1 2 3 4 5 HD if available at the beginning instead of remembering numbers. The YouView box I have from TalkTalk is rubbbish and so - instead of suffering this nonsence - guess what. Its going back - what is the point in suffering a second rate piece of equipment.

Hi Roy,

So if we're in agreement that the Freeview/YouView channel numbers don't change when a favourites list is created and you can still enter a 1 to 3 digit channel number to select the relevant channel, why then do you think Mrs Smith would be unable to find Corrie and why would the listings magazines need to publish another set of numbers? I don't quite understand what you mean.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,459 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

TomW

Start from Madcotto's comment about 'the BBC on channel 43' etc., which is talking not about Channel Management, or Favourite Channels, but about YouView having its own base channel order different from Freeview, like Sky is.

I was commenting that this would be an unnecessary complication on a device so fundamentally aligned to the same channels as Freeview is, apart from the coming internet extras on TT and BT.

Nothing I said about that relates to Favourite Channels which as you say would retain the FreeView channel numbers, where given, even though presented in the user-chosen sequence.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Roy,

Ah I see, we were talking at cross purposes, no worries :-)

Incidentally, in regards to channel numbers not appearing in the Topfield MyStuff EPG, I've never found it to be a problem although as juwlz says you can configure it so the channel number is displayed. Like juwlz I have no idea what any of the channel numbers are apart from 1 to 5 and no desire to memorise them. If I need to find a channel I just page up and down in the EPG to find it, as it's usually no more than a couple of button presses. The exception to that rule is the HD channels on YouView but that is only because they're so far down the channel list. If I had the option to put the HD channels at the top I'd have no need to memorise the numbers and this is one of the many reasons why I'd like to have a favourites list on YouView.
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 18 November 2013, 11:42AM

Absolutely. I'd really like to be able to put the HD channels at the top too.
  • HaddryHaddry Member Posts: 1
    edited 29 November 2013, 5:08AM
    Excellent!
  • MrKaonMrKaon Member Posts: 4
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Box arrived today courtesy of BT but there is no favorite section?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    MrKaon said:

Welcome to the forum, MrKaon.

No - it is the most-requested feature, and has been for some time, but currently all you can do is hide those channels you don't want in the guide.

We live in anticipation.... but don't hold your breath - as you can see, this thread is well over a year old.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    MrKaon said:

Latest rumour on the grapevine is that the decision to enable re-ordering of the channel list is not completely in the hands of YouView.
    Smiley
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM
    MrKaon said:

depends how much you can afford as to how high up the channel list you get..re-ordering the list could put the high payers at the bottom (or not at all) on your list....that will never do :)
  • Paul James RobertsPaul James Roberts Member Posts: 7
    edited 14 December 2013, 12:29AM
    Gets my vote (erm, not sure whether i've clicked it more than once though..soz)
    I hope there's some progress on this soon..  The 'normal' Humax boxes have the ability to move channels around....not so sure what the issue with implementing on the YouView box is... would have thought it fairly easy to port across?   My 5+ year old TVOnics can perform this basic function :/

• Graham AllsoppGraham Allsopp Member Posts: 1
    edited 8 January 2014, 1:38AM
    REALLY disappointed that YouView can spend a awful lot of money on a Christmas billboard campaign, but can't throw a relatively small amount of money at sorting the channel management problem.
    It's not rocket science, it's just a bit of work for a code monkey. Come on YV - it's getting embarrassing now.
  • David MillerDavid Miller Member Posts: 7
    edited 26 March 2014, 2:35PM
    I really really would like to be able to change the order of channels
  • Martin SlaterMartin Slater Member Posts: 7
    edited 26 January 2014, 6:19PM

This is really really really wanted by many hundreds or thousands of people. This request should have been in place PRIOR to launch. Many other OLDER machines have this in place and working. Frankly we are fed up of waiting, you may find that when contracts start to close in, people will simply move away. I certainly have no reason to stay, my older Humax box has this in place and my Blu-Ray player has all the catch up. Make it happen NOW...

• Martin SlaterMartin Slater Member Posts: 7
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    Just a little point, your advert is starting to annoy me because it mentions scrolling back through the guide to watch any programmes you may have missed, or words to that effect. I guess we all have our likes and dislikes but I find that scrolling back through the guide gives SELECTED programmes and they are usually not to mu liking. Many times I think, Oh, I missed that, I'll scroll back only to find my preference of programmes are NOT available so it doesn't really work for me.
  • KateThatchamKateThatcham Member Posts: 53
    edited 26 January 2014, 6:54PM

Just a little point, your advert is starting to annoy me because it mentions scrolling back through the guide to watch any programmes you may have missed, or words to that effect. I guess we all have our likes and dislikes but I find that scrolling back through the guide gives SELECTED programmes and they are usually not to mu liking. Many times I think, Oh, I missed that, I'll scroll back only to find my preference of programmes are NOT available so it doesn't really work for me.

I agree - it is especially annoying if the recording failed and you think "that's okay I'll use "catch up" and then find that you can't. (Why isn't 5USA included in Demand5 for example?)
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM

American programs are usually quite expensive to have on demand, so it s rare you will see them on things like iPlayer (Family Guy for example).
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    Is this the longest thread in this forum?
    (I hit "View more..." 12 times.)
    Perhaps more evidence (as if it was needed) that this is the problem has probably been the most complained about.

As Martin Slater said:
    Frankly we are fed up of waiting, you may find that when contracts start to close in, people will simply move away... Make it happen NOW...
  • HaggleLadHaggleLad Member Posts: 2
    edited 26 March 2014, 2:38PM
    This really is a must have basic feature and I'm considering returning my box because of the lack of channel management.

The most frustrating thing is that if you're a HD TV user, channel 5 is pages away from the other four main HD channels.
  • GoldilocksGoldilocks Member Posts: 2
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I'm not surprised with talktalk, having obviously done no research on what other competitors and even bog standard tv set-ups have been offering for years, they omit the very thing that most users demand - being able to arrange dozens of channels into a logical order, and not be railroaded by the provider into surfing dozens of channels to find the one you want at the very end of a considerable list. EPIC FAIL talktalk... do some homework before offering this half-baked and considerably amateur set up. Sky TV and others must be laughing aloud at what you've foisted on viewers as a comparable 'state of the art' TV service. With so many of the fundamentals missing, I'm already looking to switch to get the service I'm paying for - sadly this isn't it.

I'm not surprised with talktalk, having obviously done no research on what other competitors and even bog standard tv set-ups have been offering for years, they omit the very thing that most users demand - being able to arrange dozens of channels into a logical order, and not be railroaded by the provider into surfing dozens of channels to find the one you want at the very end of a considerable list. EPIC FAIL talktalk... do some homework before offering this half-baked and considerably amateur set up. Sky TV and others must be laughing aloud at what you've foisted on viewers as a comparable 'state of the art' TV service. With so many of the fundamentals missing, I'm already looking to switch to get the service I'm paying for - sadly this isn't it.

It's a bit harsh to blame TalkTalk. It's YouView that develop the software and this is a problem on all YouView boxes not just TalkTalk.

I believe the issue is that the main broadcasters (who are partners in the YouView consortium) don't want to give users the option of re-ordering channels in the EPG. Presumably because they don't want to lose their place at the top of the EPG. That seems bonkers to me because I hazard a guess that almost everyone would keep the main channels at the top of the guide. It's likely to be the **** shopping channels etc., that get moved down the list.

It is very frustrating. This issue alone is the one thing that is stopped me buying a YouView box for my parents at Christmas. I'm sure they'd really like YouView but not if they can't put the channels in the order of their choosing like they can on their current PVR. It's just a basic feature that I expect on any PVR or TV.
  • GoldilocksGoldilocks Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 July 2014, 11:49PM

Harsh? For a gripe that's already been ignored for over two years... hardly. Talktalk should be a little bit more active in addressing these gripes instead of setting up a forum as a sop, to ignore the problems and users entirely.

Talktalk sold me this as 'their' platform, no mention whatsoever of a consortium. Further, the remote handset codes for my tv brand - Virgin had 34, talktalk had just two - neither of which worked.

Consequently I had to buy a new tv - it came with a wireless configuration giving me all the extras that YouView offer, therefore making the box and internet connection defunct altogether.

I am pleased to have rearranged my channels according to my likes, and disconnected the useless Youview box. I have no use for it since it offers nothing that isn't already available -

So what is the box for? other than up-selling streaming packages for films etc which I can already access now - direct from my set... SIMPLES! I rest my case.

edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Your TV has an integrated backwards EPG, twin tuners, a 500GB hard drive/SSD to record on, a remote recording app to set up such recordings and a raft of TT extras available?

Lead me to it.... though if you have TT's cutdown non-recording box I agree the gap largely closes.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • chris2chris2 Member Posts: 8
    edited 24 March 2014, 2:16PM

Yes that is what we all want, or even better 3 or 4 tuners  ! Does this television  really have multi tuner recorder built in. If it does Please tell us the model.
  • piobobpiobob Member Posts: 17
    edited 10 August 2017, 9:32AM
    traces said:

The current channel list is a nightmare to navigate through.

Will really appreciate it when YouView adds the channel list management.

Totally agree with that.
  • piobobpiobob Member Posts: 17
    edited 26 March 2014, 2:42PM

Thought I'd bump this thread as it deserves to be.
  • RonskimanRonskiman Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 March 2014, 8:16PM

I thought I'd also add my comments, just got one of these boxes off Ebay for the spare bedroom, can't believe we can't re-order the channels. The really stupid thing is the only channels I wish to move are the HD versions to 1,2,3,4 from 101,102,103,104. Absolute epic fail, glad the rest of my house has proper media PC's!

edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

You think. Epic fail is when the box stops working, you lose all your recordings, and because you got it off eBay, you have no warranty and no comeback.. Compared with which, typing the odd extra '10' rather pales into insignificance.....
  • RonskimanRonskiman Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 March 2014, 10:37PM

@Roy. Seeing as my TV server will be doing all my recordings, the youview box won't have any to lose. I just wanted something cheap and easy to use for my guests, but because the HD channels are way down the guide they will probably end up watching SD, and in my book that's an epic fail and going by the hundreds of complaints others think so to! And if I wanted or was concerned about a warranty then I would have purchased a new one from a reputable company.
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 11:12AM
    Testing...