Updated YouView forum system: what are the key improvements and any issues?

13»

Comments

• JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 11:12AM
    Roy1 said:

On https://community.youview.com/youview...

Or one of them, you will see the other referenced with 'Last Reply ..... Ago'

Even though there has been no Reply, and it's actually referring to the original posting.

And this is the sort of nit-picking we really ought to have nothing worse to report about with the new look.... :-(

Is it? Or does it just show the most recent activity on the thread, calling it (wrongly in this case and perhaps others) a "reply"?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Roy1 said:

Even though there has been no Reply, and it's actually referring to the original posting.

And this is the sort of nit-picking we really ought to have nothing worse to report about with the new look.... :-(

Indeed so. But I don't see how that might differ from my description of it?
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • JamesBJamesB Member Posts: 841
    edited 31 March 2014, 11:12AM
    Roy1 said:

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your description. I thought you were saying the software was treating the second of the duplicate posts as a reply to the first. On rereading, I see I misinterpreted.
    Roy1 said:

No probs... :-)
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Something I was going to suggest to Phil about the previous GS incarnation was that it would be good if threads could auto-close after a certain period of inactivity, to all but the OP or a Mod, and users who turned up those topics be told the thread was old and closed, and if they had an issue still, to start a new thread.

Several forums I have frequented, or looked to for tech help do this, (though perhaps without the OP refinement possibly necessary for Keith to keep his excellent summary threads alive).

This would help in many ways; new issues would be given prominence, not buried at the end of old, dead, but now resurrected threads, and would also not get entangled with descriptions of issues which are nearly but not quite the new poster's problem, and anyway often relate to bugs which were squashed some time back.

Always assuming, of course, that this or something like it is even possible on the GS software, and that the ongoing efforts to return the forum to some semblance of its former self as regards basic functionality have been successfully completed.
  • HydeTheDarkerSideHydeTheDarkerSide Member Posts: 247
    edited 17 December 2013, 8:17PM

Indeed, this incarnation is even worse than the last.  My two bug bears are the need to enable third party cookies even when using a getsatisfaction account just to login.  The other is being logged out after a short period of time with no option on the signin page to be remembered.  This is just a forum afterall, not some banking application where security should be greater.  But skim reading all the posts above would appear to address all the issues I have with this version.  Truly bad decision to persist with this - cough - product - cough.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    As Visionman has already reported the topic lists now once again show who the last poster was not just when that post was made. Whilst it is only a small improvement/restoration of a useful feature it does show GS are evolving their new system and listening to the feedback. They also appear to be showing more interest in this thread and the feedback we are giving here.

So lets hope more of the features lost will be restored soon and perhaps other new improvements will come along too.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 19 December 2013, 9:54AM
    They also now have "snapped" the topic title to the top of the webpage when you scroll down!

As they have now added the capability to show the last poster on a thread, I wonder of they can add a "Got to last post" link, so we don't have the issue of trying to find it!
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    Visionman said:

I like the new look. But I have encountered a problem - the forum keeps on logging me out every few hours. And the next day too. Don't know if anyone else has encountered this happening...

Yes I have noticed the forum now logs me out quite frequently. On several occasions I've written a post and after clicking submit it becomes clear that I've been logged out and I've been challenged for my username and password. It's infuriating because even after l log in again my post disappears and I have re-write the whole thing! It's happened twice today on my ipad and it's driving me up the wall. I've now started to write posts in notepad and copy/paste them into the browser just so I don't lose the text should the forum software randomly decide to log me out!
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Visionman said:

I like the new look. But I have encountered a problem - the forum keeps on logging me out every few hours. And the next day too. Don't know if anyone else has encountered this happening...

Also, replies like this, in the middle of the thread, are almost impossible to find.
    How can someone design something like this?
    Visionman said:

Also, replies like this, in the middle of the thread, are almost impossible to find.
    Visionman said:

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback here- we are in the process of trying to address the usability of the forum based on the feedback so far. Also any bugs or issues mentioned have been noted so we can hopefully fix them as soon as possible.

One of our key goals is to get the search function to accurately bring up existing and previous discussion threads with the answers in. At the moment some of the thread migration is not fully complete but we want to make sure each one is correctly categorised as soon as possible.

Phil
  • billmarsbillmars Member Posts: 40
    edited 23 December 2013, 2:31PM
    Just give up on this forum software. There's no point in trying to tinker with something that is never going to work. Use a traditional forum software, just as the majority of other forums use.
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Well, you have to say it does LOOK good.  But it doesn't work, from the experienced user's point of view.

In fact this seems to be a guiding principle for YouView generally.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi all,

Thank you all for your feedback on the new look forum. We have posted a thread with some updates on your feedback. Click here to read it.

Regards,

Sanj
    Visionman said:

Indeed. You have it. I don't. I apologise. Proof is in the pudding and all that. Unlike this new forum.

And a month of deafening silence with no tangible improvements here, makes the answer to that crystal clear.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Thanks Sanj for following up with GS many of the issues raised here and elsewhere. I now find myself struggling to decide where to reply given there is now this topic which has gathered much of the feedback but the official response is a new topic rather than a response on this topic that is marked as official and hence makes use of the the new GS feature where official responses are shown first (in a separate tab if they exist) but one can go into other tabs to see the wider discuss :)

Given this topic is now suffering from probably the most niggling lost/new feature (i.e. the loss of topic pagination for relatively easy jumping to/staying at the end/the introduction of the (repeated) 'view more' process to step through a topic only to go back to the start if one reloads/goes back to the topic) I'll head over to the other topic and post a reply there ;-)
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    Keith, I used this new format the first time last night - after not using the forums for some time. I do recall the general lack of satisfaction with the former version and the scepticism that a number of us voiced about how the forum would cope with more members. 

Just from reading your initial post in this thread, I was horrified. How could any organisation introduce something so inferior to its already rather poor predecessor?

I had noticed that I no longer receive e-mails with posts of threads I've contributed to, or decided to follow. Progress?

To get to your most recent post took me some time of course, (the dreaded 'view more' issue) but I can report that I had tremendous problems trying to log in using Chrome last night -eventually I managed to log in using Internet Explorer. The problem may have been with Chrome, but I didn't have any problems with the previous version. The issue was that the system said I was logged in, but it appeared I was not. 

Both last night and tonight I have had some very strange issues when entering and editing (before submitting) text. The cursor seems to have moved without my input so that when trying to delete two words on a line in say the third paragraph, I suddenly notice the cursor has moved to the first paragraph and I am deleting the wrong words. 

I hope you are being well rewarded for your sterling efforts. I'm afraid I lost patience with Youview,