Humax YouView box failure, since May update (loss of picture via HDMI). Requires mains power cycle

Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Humax YV box. I was a triallist in summer 2012. Since May 2013 update. The box has twice lost picture via HDMI (picture goes into loads of wrong-coloured pix-cells), requiring mains switch-off/on to resolve.
S/W =

Comments

• Stuart JinksStuart Jinks Member Posts: 2
    edited 20 December 2013, 9:09PM
    I am getting the same problem, recently did you fix it?
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 21 December 2013, 7:27AM

The latest does seem to have introduced HDMI glitches as there has been an increase in those with other issues using the HDMI link like pink screens.

• Rob CunninghamRob Cunningham Member Posts: 8
    edited 19 January 2014, 11:27PM
    Since last Thursday I've been experiencing this too. Tonight 4 times during one hour I lost the picture and the box became unresponsive. Sometimes picture loss was briefly proceeded by a blocky image with a pink hue. Usually the sound is unaffected. I noticed after restarting the box , a message about channels having been updated. Any thoughts on whether this is hard or software related? I tried an alternate HDMI port in my TV (2 weeks old) with the same result. I'm thinking about contacting BT for a replacement.
  • plaxyplaxy Member Posts: 217
    edited 19 January 2014, 11:40PM
    If you've just acquired a new TV, could that be significant? What model is it?
    edited 20 January 2014, 6:58PM
    Its a Sony Kdl46W905. Ive made enquiries over at Avforums but no other owners of this TV have had this issue. My money is on YouView being the cause
  • Colino GreenColino Green Member Posts: 27
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I know it is a year or so since the last post on this thread but something similar seems to be happening to me now. Have tried swapping HDMI inputs but only a reboot sometimes cures the problem.  The box (Humax DTR-1010 )may be more stable and less likely to happen when there is no network connection and this problem and other problems only started happening after the May 2015 update.

Really is time I ditched Youview for a Freeview+ box with all these ridiculous problems.
    edited 21 June 2015, 8:25PM

I know it is a year or so since the last post on this thread but something similar seems to be happening to me now. Have tried swapping HDMI inputs but only a reboot sometimes cures the problem.  The box (Humax DTR-1010 )may be more stable and less likely to happen when there is no network connection and this problem and other problems only started happening after the May 2015 update.

Really is time I ditched Youview for a Freeview+ box with all these ridiculous problems.

In addition now, the box has just frozen with a Purple screen. Was not responding to button presses. Had to do yet another hard reset. Taken the network cable out again to see if that helps. Disaster. :( Hope Humans records ok.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,938 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM

If not, you can always catch-up on an Android device :-)

But some people are getting HDMI issues at the moment, which do seem to be a software issue, though a hardware failure can never be ruled out. And of course, there's a sense in which everything happens after a software update, good or bad; so did this issue start immediately after the update, so that it never worked subsequently, or just later in time than the update?

But I am sure Sanj will be along tomorrow with his questionnaire, from which YouView hope to qualify, and then eliminate, whatever software bug this is, if software bug it be.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 22 June 2015, 8:11PM

Thanks, Roy.

I have removed the network cable that runs from the BT Router to the Youview box for the last 24 hours or so and it has been more stable since. Not sure if this causes other issues with the EPG update and such but at least I can watch recordings now without the screen going fuzzy or/and the box crashing.
    edited 23 June 2015, 9:45AM

FYI I eventually persuaded BT to replace the box and it ran fine for about another year. The replacement box then started missing recordings, going unresponsive etc, so I went back to BT and am now on my third box. 

2-months on and no issues so far. Interestingly the BT guy says when he installs boxes he ALWAYS uses the low eco mode. On my previous boxes I always set eco mode to high thinking it was the right thing to do.

Did he say why? I assume he would say for superior reliability, BICBW.

High Eco is the right thing for helping to save the planet, in a small way, but I wonder if YouView would have bothered with it if it didn't have some EU standards to meet on standby electricity consumption.

A YouView box in Low Eco Standby is On, practically and to all intents and purposes, and it is a very small shift to the full On status.

A YouView box in High Eco has quite a bit to do to reach the On status.

It harks back to the old, old PC debate; is it better to leave the device On, which keeps it in a steady state, but warm and with the discs spinning, or switch it off when not in use, which swaps the steady wear and tear for the spin up/spin down transitions wear and tear?

Your BT engineer seems to have plumped for the former, which will be a salve of conscience for those of us who can't wait two minutes for the box to start, or who want to use the iOS/ Android remote App, which demands Low Eco.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 23 June 2015, 10:01AM

The engineer said the difference in power consumption over a year was "pennies". I'm not so sure but who am I to argue, he's the expert!
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM

I'll still don't like Eco Low because if the box is only being used for 3 or 4 hours a day to me its pointless the thing being basically on the entire day. My new box is in Eco High again as those pennies add up over the year and the fact the old box would no longer wake up unless it was in Eco Low. :)

Isn't the default setting Eco High? I am sure that's what this replacement box defaulted to.

They have to be supplied defaulted to Eco High to meet the EU regs.

And the cost of keeping a YouView box in Low Eco rather than High Eco, for a year, is pennies - about two thousand five hundred of them!
    Watts HrsStandby Days/Year Kilowatts A*B*C/D Pence/KWh £'s E*F/G
    24 20 365 1000 175.2 14 100 £24.53