LoveFilm, Netflix......................................

edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Unsurprisingly the "Lovefilm and Netflix?" thread continues to attract support. But I'm puzzled that no-one mentions the other providers.
The current Samsung smart TV range of apps includes LoveFilm, Netflix, Wuaki.tv, PictureBox, blinkbox, KnowHow Movies and Curzon Home Cinema.
TalkTalk subscribers can access PictureBox and TalkTalk Box Office (which is actually LoveFilm Box Office rebranded).
BT subscribers have BT Film.
All YouView users have NOW TV and Sky Store.

The off-forum grapevine last year suggested that YouView were confident about adding two new providers, one before Christmas and the other just after. The first part of that prediction was Sky Store but there's still no sign of the second.

It's hard to understand why the other providers have not joined YouView. I would have thought that in particular blinkbox and Wuaki would have been keen to expand their markets.
Would any conspiracy theorists care to comment?

Comments

• Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
    edited 13 June 2014, 8:40AM
    I have given up, and disappointed at the slow pace of YouView. I have now purchased a Sony Blu-Ray player for about £50 which has Netlix, Lovefilm, Youtube plus many others and can access files on my Network drive. Glad I never paid for the box.
  • Martin GuntherMartin Gunther Member Posts: 1
    edited 13 June 2014, 8:40AM
    Yes it's getting silly now. Why can't we have Youtube and netflix, love film, etc. Surely the coding won't take long this is purely a business/political thing :(
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    As I believe I have said before, it's quite possible that Netflix and/or Lovefilm have looked at the coding task of achieving compatibility with YouView, and fought shy of the work involved. Not least because NetFilm (or was it LoveFlix?) have just completed a large exercise to consolidate their software into a single body of code that will run across multiple platforms, and I bet what YouView requires will be way different.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
    edited 21 January 2014, 2:04PM
    I think you're right which is why I have decided to look at alternative solutions to meet my requirement. YouView promised a lot but has failed to deliver. 
  • plaxyplaxy Member Posts: 217
    edited 13 June 2014, 8:45AM
    To be fair, YouView never promised NetFlix or LoveFilm. Or indeed any specific content provider, other than those currently offered.
  • Michael GMichael G Member Posts: 876
    edited 25 February 2017, 9:03PM
    Both our 2011 Samsung smart TV and BD have all the above, but pre-dated Netflix. They do update from time to time, but still no sign of NF - so it's not just YV. We've added a Chromecast now so can access NF and Google Play content too, as well as our own movies on a drive. We're reasonably happy with that mix. The telly is a full HD 46" panel and still produces good pictures so isn't itself going to be updated anytime soon.

So far as our YV box is concerned, I seem to be the only user who is happy with it. It replaced a deceased Sony HDR, and was free from BT. I only expected it to record and offer the main 4 catch-up players, and it delivers those functions fine. Anything more is a plus :-)
    PS just discovered YV now has Sky Store, so another option. Should really look at its demand section more often ;-)

edited 21 January 2014, 4:51PM
    Most of the complaints aren't to do with the content but due to recurrent problems and instability, plus a lack of clear information and explanation about contentious issues such as picture ratio, Accurate Recording, and the lack of useful options such as manual tuning. Since those explanations aren't easy to find, users repeatedly raise the same problems in the forum, thus contributing to a fairly continuous mood of discontent.
    plaxy

Quite so. I own lots of products I am very happy with, but I rarely frequent their forums, except when I have a difficulty I want to resolve. And when I do, and somebody tells me how to solve the issue, I go away happy, until the next difficulty arises, though I might stick around for a while if I know stuff about the product so I can give back for what I was given.

That's how I got started on here, though I do seem to have stuck around; partly because my YouView box kept giving me grief, and partly because people were always turning up with problems I could help with.

Such people sometimes arrive discontented, but more often just in a spirit of inquiry, and those we can indeed send away happy.

Which leaves, as you observe, those with issues that YouView utterly decline to comment on, or where the answers that we or YouView do give do not suit the person with the inquiry.

People do usually find the issue they want (look at the number of year-old threads that get disinterred by a new posting on that topic), but perhaps not all the information that is there.

I did have a cunning plan for a rolling FAQ a la Keith's excellent summary postings, which might have helped here, but this new forum software, which inhibits editing very quickly, has put the kybosh on that :-(

However, I am finding myself at an increasing disadvantage these days. Since my YouView box is working almost impeccably, I'm not tangled up in BT or TalkTalk issues, I like my 4:3 in 16:9 with black bars, and I'm not waiting for value-added services like NetFlix, which I can get on about three other devices I own, I have very little either to be discontented about, or that I can help with any more.

I am, though, disappointed that YouView doesn't seem to have fulfilled its promise, even if it hasn't actually broken any of its promises; so I'm sticking around to see whether or not it really can make the late run into wonderland that Visionman is always hinting at.

Though I know what I think......
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. My criticism relates not to the standard of help offered by forum members, but the level of support, information, and bug-fixing offered by YouView.

A comprehensive, informative online manual could do a lot to save users the trouble of having to come to the forum, one by one, looking for an answer. I agree the new forum software encourages new users to look for previously posted answers, and of course there's no way of knowing how many do find their answer and leave without posting. But the box has been out for a while now, and shouldn't (it seems to me) be still attracting so many FAQs.

Fix the bugs - explain the unexpected "features" and why they're not going to change - and generally offer better support - that's what I'd like to see from YouView.

Though I admit, my opinion isn't particularly relevant as I've now plumped for a Panasonic rather than another YouView. :-)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    plaxy said:

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. My criticism relates not to the standard of help offered by forum members, but the level of support, information, and bug-fixing offered by YouView.

A comprehensive, informative online manual could do a lot to save users the trouble of having to come to the forum, one by one, looking for an answer. I agree the new forum software encourages new users to look for previously posted answers, and of course there's no way of knowing how many do find their answer and leave without posting. But the box has been out for a while now, and shouldn't (it seems to me) be still attracting so many FAQs.

Fix the bugs - explain the unexpected "features" and why they're not going to change - and generally offer better support - that's what I'd like to see from YouView.

Though I admit, my opinion isn't particularly relevant as I've now plumped for a Panasonic rather than another YouView. :-)

Nonsense plaxy, all opinions and informed help offered on here is valued by both YV and fellow community members. And having YV isn't a requirement to do that. After all it is an open forum.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 21 January 2014, 7:43PM
    plaxy said:

I didn't say I was going to stop offering my opinion, just because it's not particularly relevant. :-)
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:54PM
    plaxy said:

plaxy - a man after my own heart!

Or perhaps a girl. Apologies for the sexist assumption.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    plaxy said:

Hi plaxy - don't worry, I didn't get the wrong impression from what you posted. It just started me off on a riff about where we were, where YouView was, and most of all about where I was.

For which, thanks for the trigger :-)
    edited 21 January 2014, 9:13PM
    plaxy said:

I know the feeling :-)
    plaxy said:

Wow.
    edited 21 January 2014, 10:13PM
    plaxy said:

That's rather offensive.
    plaxy said:

And is known to cause severe flooding :-)
  • Mr WiseMr Wise Member Posts: 12
    I'd really like to see Wuaki arrive. They seem to be aiming at the top end of the market. HD and Dolby 5.1. The YouView box is quite capable of handling this but finding this type of source material is difficult.
    It uses DivX technology - would this be a problem for YouView?
    plaxy said:

http://tinyurl.com/yc6sdgz
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    plaxy said:

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Mr Wise said:

I'd really like to see Wuaki arrive. They seem to be aiming at the top end of the market. HD and Dolby 5.1. The YouView box is quite capable of handling this but finding this type of source material is difficult.
    It uses DivX technology - would this be a problem for YouView?

No. It would be a problem for Wuaki :-)
    Netflix plans “substantial” European expansion
    http://tinyurl.com/ow43w85
  • KateThatchamKateThatcham Member Posts: 53
    edited 28 February 2014, 6:53PM
    I wouldn't worry about the lack of Lovefilm - having seen what Amazon have done to it this week, it  is no longer fit for purpose !
    Tell me about it. Used LF Instant for 3 years on my Samsung 46D5500 and when they switched it over this week, it stopped. The app is there, the TV is registered, I can browse it, but when i chose a title, I get the seventh spinning circle of hell. T'internet is awash with it, and all Amazon do is refer to the (unhelpful) Help pages. Complete shambles. I feel a Netflix trial coming on. I can get it via Chromecast, plus I'll get it on my android kit - which is more than I could ever get with LF.
    Wuaki.tv launches on Chromecast
    This is in Spain.
    (just thought I'd mention it)

Thanks for the heads up gwatuk. From the android app: "Wuaki.tv is one of the largest online video services in Europe, and the market leader in Spain. Newly launched in Britain, Wuaki.tv for Android features the best entertainment at the palm of your hand!". Will give it a try, via chromecast of course :-)

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM

Is this just playing the game or is there maybe something in it....

BT will have to branch out and offer more services than just sports on TV to attract television’s other key audience, avid Netflix fans. Would BT be prepared to tie up with the on-demand giant to boost its TV output?

‘If we didn’t keep some surprises back, what would you be writing about later in the year?’ says Patterson.

That sounds like BT’s chief conjurer has just a few more rabbits waiting in the hat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2655476/CITY-INTERVIEW-BT-boss-Gavin-Patterson-call...

• Dale TaylorDale Taylor Member Posts: 1
    edited 13 June 2014, 8:45AM
    plaxy said:

To be fair, YouView never promised NetFlix or LoveFilm. Or indeed any specific content provider, other than those currently offered.

Completely disagree. They have often said that Netflix/LoveFilm were definitely in their strategic plan and they were working very closely with these pservice providers. I've had several tweets saying there would be announcements last year and they even confirmed an announcement before Christmas 2013 (the hinting has been going on for over 2yrs now). YouView is goog but could be so much better and it's frustrating and very poor customer service to 'lead customers on...'