New BT Box: DTR-T2110

Comments

• edited 4 March 2014, 5:06PM
    Visionman said:

Heres some useful info for those thinking of signing up with BT, they have now switched to supplying new customers with G4 boxes only -

On Sunday 23rd February, we launched the new YouView+ box from BT. This is the smallest YouView+ box yet and will be sent to new customers signing up to YouView from BT. The new box still has the same hard disk drive size and the same great features as the previous box and the menu and layout is exactly the same but here are some of the key differences:

• The new YouView+ box and remote control from BT have a great new design to match the BT Home Hubs 4 and 5
    • The new box has an external power supply for the first time which means it is much smaller than earlier versions
    • The front of the box has LED lights to show when it is connected to a working broadband connection, when it is recording and when it is switched on or on standby.
    • It also uses different chips to previous boxes – trialists for the new box have noted that this makes the box more responsive
    • There is now a button on the top of the box for navigating the YouView menus and fast-forwarding and rewinding through programmes. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

BTCare Community Manager

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/G4-box/td-p/1181672
    I ordered BT TV yesterday with delivery on Tuesday - it had better be the new box as that's the only reason I signed up with BT TV.
  • edited 4 March 2014, 5:07PM
    Visionman said:

Heres some useful info for those thinking of signing up with BT, they have now switched to supplying new customers with G4 boxes only -

On Sunday 23rd February, we launched the new YouView+ box from BT. This is the smallest YouView+ box yet and will be sent to new customers signing up to YouView from BT. The new box still has the same hard disk drive size and the same great features as the previous box and the menu and layout is exactly the same but here are some of the key differences:

• The new YouView+ box and remote control from BT have a great new design to match the BT Home Hubs 4 and 5
    • The new box has an external power supply for the first time which means it is much smaller than earlier versions
    • The front of the box has LED lights to show when it is connected to a working broadband connection, when it is recording and when it is switched on or on standby.
    • It also uses different chips to previous boxes – trialists for the new box have noted that this makes the box more responsive
    • There is now a button on the top of the box for navigating the YouView menus and fast-forwarding and rewinding through programmes. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

BTCare Community Manager

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/G4-box/td-p/1181672
    I ordered my box on 27th February and I received the new one - it is really small, about half the size of the TalkTalk box and responds very quickly to the remote - no lag at all.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    Bad news: The BTCare forum has been reporting a fairly chaotic situation regarding the process of existing customers upgrading to the new box.
    Good news: Quite a few people are saying how pleased they are with the new box - much more responsive etc.
    See: http://tinyurl.com/p4gd9qv

• VisionmanVisionman Posts: 9,548Member ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Hm, you started that thread. I didn't realise you had switched to BT gwatuk.
    Visionman said:

I haven't.
    I was just looking for information so as to be able to produce this: http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5700dc4dd63e1666959bb9056&id=b02637cd62

• apuk2004apuk2004 Posts: 9Member
    edited 28 October 2014, 6:27AM
    Visionman said:

Love my new G4...so far! :) thanks to OP for alerting me to it. Put the old box in my bedroom so nice to have the 2 boxes still. Can you connect them both to the android app tho??
    Visionman said:

Can you connect them both to the android app tho??
    If you mean to be able to programme two boxes individually then the answer must almost certainly be "no".
    Otherwise there's not much point, unless you want to set up duplicate recordings on both machines.
    (Some might say that would be very advisable!  )
  • Patrick LoftusPatrick Loftus Posts: 12Member
    edited 7 March 2014, 3:33PM
    gwatuk said:

Bad news: The BTCare forum has been reporting a fairly chaotic situation regarding the process of existing customers upgrading to the new box.
    Good news: Quite a few people are saying how pleased they are with the new box - much more responsive etc.
    See: http://tinyurl.com/p4gd9qv

Just phoned BT.  They said there was no process in place for moving from one Youview box to another, so I couldn't upgrade.
    They said there was a process for coming from BT Vision box, but not existing Youview box.  So I was denied :(
  • Old Welsh DragonOld Welsh Dragon Posts: 367Member
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    BT are sending me the G4 box on Tuesday to swap with the old style box as they said they had sent the old style by mistake..
    I just thought it was worth reminding TalkTalk users of one of the hidden benefits of a BT box - they are already capable of recording internet channels.
    Here's great post from another forum:
    I have the full TalkTalk package, love it, we always had a Humax PVR as well, the Wife does not like adverts. When the Humax recently gave up the Ghost, she ended up buying the BT branded Youview box from John Lewis as a replacement, guess what, all the TalkTalk channels work, and you can record all the SKY channels as well.
    So now, the BT Youview is her Primary Sky recorder, and the TalkTalk is relegated to the Secondary position as a Freeview recorder. 
  • tullyhubberttullyhubbert Posts: 10Member
    edited 10 March 2014, 5:34PM
    Marmite looks? Sorted and much more in keeping with the rest of my stuff :)

One strip of black insulating tape with which you also adjust the brightness of the indicator lights by how much you cover them. My phone camera brightens the tape, its pretty matt black in reality.

I've attempted to attach a picture, no previews available so forgive me if this goes terribly wrong!

<thinks> Thread title, isn't the STB a DTR-T2100?

<edit> No picture has appeared, try these links.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/tullyhubbert/Modded1_zpsbfddb9c9.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/tullyhubbert/Modded2_zps18ef80c7.jpg

From Twitter:
    John Barker @iamjohnbarker
    I spent today filming the new @BTCare @YouView box. Here's a timelapse of the shoot (video coming soon!) 
    http://instagram.com/p/lZ2OrCCaIo/
    edited 26 February 2017, 12:20PM
    Just set up my G4 box (swapped by BT as old model sent by mistake) , much more responsive ....  

Just set up my G4 box (swapped by BT as old model sent by mistake) , much more responsive ....  

You were very unlucky to move to BT TV just before the new box was released.
    I think you're extremely lucky that they gave you an upgrade.

edited 11 December 2016, 10:58AM

I filled in an enquiry form online to ask if I was entitled to the new one and if thee had been a mistake.
    Didn't get a reply by email but got a call last Tuesday to say they would check, called me again on Saturday to say they would swap it today, and would contact me to arrange to pick the old box up..

Very lucky...

• marcusd666marcusd666 Posts: 13Member
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    thanks guys for some really great info on the new youview box so just to confirm the new BT Box is quicker then the Humax DTR-T1010 ? The reason why I ask is that I'm nearly at the end of my TT contract and have one of the first boxes.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to a new retail box.

thanks guys for some really great info on the new youview box so just to confirm the new BT Box is quicker then the Humax DTR-T1010 ? The reason why I ask is that I'm nearly at the end of my TT contract and have one of the first boxes.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to a new retail box.

just to confirm the new BT Box is quicker
         Definitely.
     I'm thinking of upgrading
         Well worth it.  (IMHO)

But....
    It might be worth waiting till more details emerge about the new Huawei box.
    Good review from PC Advisor:

BT YouView+ box review (2014) – faster, smaller, quieter Humax DTR-T2100

mentions power consumption:
    ...the box takes a tardy 1 minute and 36 seconds to boot up but sips power at under 1W. If you want a much faster boot time (just a few seconds), you’ll need to switch to the ‘high’ power mode which uses somewhere between 8W and 9W. That’s only a watt or so less than the usual power consumption when the box is on, but overall, it’s roughly half the draw of the older YouView box...

• James LostJames Lost Posts: 111Member
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:12AM
    The Gizmodo UK review highlights buggy software and a potential conflict with Xbox One.
    Faster box, same software. Should be a pretty straightforward upgrade, right? Wrong. For whatever reason, the DTR-T2100 interface is currently littered with crash-causing bugs. Hit the mute button on the remote and the whole screen freezes, rather than the image; fast-forward through a time-shifted or saved recording and the sped-up preview clip will hang after a few seconds, making it impossible to gauge where you are in a show. Even the initial set-up process hangs, leading me to unplug the box from the mains and start over before I could even get it to complete. That's to name just a few of the weird and regularly occurring problems I've experienced with the box during my few days with it. It's frustrating that despite the palpable speed boost to the UI, these bugs drag the whole thing down.

Updated: Having never seen the problems I experienced during testing, BT sent an engineer to my house to test my box. While further testing in BT's own labs will be required to completely confirm the issues, it seems that using the YouView box alongside an Xbox One console may have been causing the problems. Seeing as my previous YouView box encountered no such problems, this remains a bug with the DTR-T2100, but at least now an apparently identifiable one. Here's hoping the YouView teams will be able to fix this with a patch at some point, as it's likely to be an increasingly-common AV set-up as the Xbox One user base grows. We'll keep you posted on any updates BT or YouView provide us with.
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/03/bt-youview-dtr-t2100-review-time-travelling-tv-in-a-tiny-box/

• JamesBJamesB Posts: 841Member

The Gizmodo UK review highlights buggy software and a potential conflict with Xbox One.

Faster box, same software. Should be a pretty straightforward upgrade, right? Wrong. For whatever reason, the DTR-T2100 interface is currently littered with crash-causing bugs. Hit the mute button on the remote and the whole screen freezes, rather than the image; fast-forward through a time-shifted or saved recording and the sped-up preview clip will hang after a few seconds, making it impossible to gauge where you are in a show. Even the initial set-up process hangs, leading me to unplug the box from the mains and start over before I could even get it to complete. That's to name just a few of the weird and regularly occurring problems I've experienced with the box during my few days with it. It's frustrating that despite the palpable speed boost to the UI, these bugs drag the whole thing down.

Updated: Having never seen the problems I experienced during testing, BT sent an engineer to my house to test my box. While further testing in BT's own labs will be required to completely confirm the issues, it seems that using the YouView box alongside an Xbox One console may have been causing the problems. Seeing as my previous YouView box encountered no such problems, this remains a bug with the DTR-T2100, but at least now an apparently identifiable one. Here's hoping the YouView teams will be able to fix this with a patch at some point, as it's likely to be an increasingly-common AV set-up as the Xbox One user base grows. We'll keep you posted on any updates BT or YouView provide us with.
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2014/03/bt-youview-dtr-t2100-review-time-travelling-tv-in-a-tiny-box/

Thanks for posting that - very useful.
    my previous YouView box encountered no such problems...
    Anyone able to suggest what changes might have caused the incompatibility?
  • edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Brilliant post from the BT forum:
    So, I received my brand new G4 Youview box last week after recontracting and used it in place of my Humx BT box. I'd like to say how much better this box is than the old one, night and day in my opinion - so responsive and the rtemote is much better too.
    Anyway, we needed a PVR in the sitting room so I thought I'd put the old box in there after installing a new powerline adaptor. Just out of interest I thought I'd play and record internet channels on both boxes simultaneously to see what happens. To my surprise this worked flawlessly - I was very pleased to know that my connection and my internal powerline network supported four BTHD streams without issue. 
    So I thought I'd go all out and try and break it. Here's what I setup to run simultaneously :-

G4 Youview box :-
    Recording BTsport 1 HD
    Recording BTsport 2 HD
    Playing iplayer HD catchup stream

Humax Youview box :-
    Recording ESPN HD
    Recording Eurosport HD

Tablet via wireless :-
    Playing live BTSport 1HD stream

Phone via wireless :-
    Playing live BTSport 2 HD stream

I am flabbergasted to say that everything ran simultaneously without issue. I even checked the recordings and they were fine. Mine is not the typical setup though, I have BTInfinity at 80Mbit and use AV500 powerline adaptors.
    Impressive anyhow.
    Ps - I was logged into work via a wireless vpn session on my laptop and that never lost connection or suffered either :)
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    gwatuk said:

So, I received my brand new G4 Youview box last week after recontracting and used it in place of my Humx BT box. I'd like to say how much better this box is than the old one, night and day in my opinion - so responsive and the rtemote is much better too.
    Anyway, we needed a PVR in the sitting room so I thought I'd put the old box in there after installing a new powerline adaptor. Just out of interest I thought I'd play and record internet channels on both boxes simultaneously to see what happens. To my surprise this worked flawlessly - I was very pleased to know that my connection and my internal powerline network supported four BTHD streams without issue. 
    So I thought I'd go all out and try and break it. Here's what I setup to run simultaneously :-

Recording BTsport 1 HD
    Recording BTsport 2 HD

Recording ESPN HD
    Recording Eurosport HD

I am flabbergasted to say that everything ran simultaneously without issue. I even checked the recordings and they were fine. Mine is not the typical setup though, I have BTInfinity at 80Mbit and use AV500 powerline adaptors.
    Impressive anyhow.
    Ps - I was logged into work via a wireless vpn session on my laptop and that never lost connection or suffered either :)
    And people wonder why BT are pushing people towards fibre. Its like night and day. image
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    gwatuk said:

Recording BTsport 1 HD
    Recording BTsport 2 HD

Recording ESPN HD
    Recording Eurosport HD

Impressive anyhow.
    And people wonder why BT are pushing people towards fibre. Its like night and day. 
    Strange...
    Thread no longer consistently appears in the Topics list. Am I the only one seeing this?
    Posting to the thread brings it back.
  • RoyRoy Posts: 15,249Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Come back, thread! All (well, nearly all) is forgiven.
    This might at last be getting back to the YouView that I knew.  :|
    Holding my breath....
    Posting to the thread brings it back.
    Deleting the last reply or comment makes it seem to vanish along with the deleted reply/comment. It seems to be something to do with the time stamp.