Any point to Eco-mode High???

NickNick Posts: 594Member
edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM in Archived Posts
We tried the High mode once or twice but the startup time was laughable. That along with the requirement of the YouView app needing the box in Low mode means that we always have the setting on Low,

So my question is - what's the point in developing and maintaining both settings? All my previous PVRs were in standby mode and it seems that havong two distinct power up modes doesn't really bring any real benefit.

Can we just drop the High mode totally?

Comments

• radoxradox Posts: 62Member
    edited 10 March 2014, 7:10AM
    The long start up time in high Eco mode was a shock initially but I've gotten used to it. I like to keep standby energy consumption as low as possible so I wouldn't like to see it dropped.

Stuart
  • bryflybryfly Posts: 13Member
    edited 13 September 2015, 8:03PM

Agree the long start up time in high Eco mode takes to long, but rather that than the continuing whirring noise of the hard drive or fan or whatever it is. Keep the high Eco but just reduce the start up time to something more sensible. Wonder if it is the youview side that takes the time or the pvr side, as my Humax 9200 and 9300 do not take that long. 
  • alal Posts: 1,298Member ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 1:28PM
    I imagine it's only there to conform to some eu directive.
  • NickNick Posts: 594Member
    edited 9 March 2015, 6:43AM
    al said:

Agreed
  • radoxradox Posts: 62Member
    edited 10 March 2014, 8:01AM
    al said:

And for people like me (I'm sure I'm not the only one) who doesn't use the remote app and appreciates the lower standby energy usage.
  • tullyhubberttullyhubbert Posts: 10Member
    edited 10 March 2014, 5:34PM
    AFAIK there is some EU directive that states units take less than 1w (Maybe it's 0.5w) in standby.

Have you considered this. A BT Humax DTR-T1000 takes 19w in low standby mode, thats 166kw per year and at a current cost of 17.1ppp = £29.60!!!! Yip that's if you don't even turn it on. I've two of them in the house, nearly £60 before turning them on. Thats like burning two/four energy saving lamps in your living room 24/7, you wouldn't do that?

They use 0.4w in high standby mode (with RF loop through turned off), at that cost I can plan when I'm watching TV or wait the two mins :)
  • JamesBJamesB Posts: 841Member
    Is there any PVR which restarts from deep standby in a shorter time? In a recent discussion in another forum, no one could suggest one.
  • JamesBJamesB Posts: 841Member
    edited 31 March 2014, 10:12AM
    Is there any PVR which restarts from deep standby in a shorter time? In a recent discussion in another forum, no one could suggest one.
  • edited 9 March 2015, 6:43AM
    This is a really pointless suggestion.
    What would be the benefit of putting resources into changing the way the box works even if this was possible (which it isn't due to EU legislation)?

• edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    gwatuk said:

What would be the benefit of putting resources into changing the way the box works even if this was possible (which it isn't due to EU legislation)?

And Nick there are many more important issues to focus on some of which you yourself have pursued (http://tinyurl.com/pwqpnpx).
    gwatuk said:

Totally agree with you bud, just wanted to ask the question. The point made about the 19w in Low mode is an eye opener and I wonder what all our other gadgets and toys cost to run!
  • S RS R Posts: 168Member
    edited 10 March 2014, 9:24AM
    JamesB said:

HDR2000t. It has one standby mode which uses 0.5w. It starts up pretty quickly. Few seconds at most. It's faster than the tv. I turn the pvr on first and by the time the tv has come on and found the right input it's already there. With the youview I'd have 20 seconds of youview logo to sit through first.
    edited 10 March 2014, 9:30AM

AFAIK there is some EU directive that states units take less than 1w (Maybe it's 0.5w) in standby.

Have you considered this. A BT Humax DTR-T1000 takes 19w in low standby mode, thats 166kw per year and at a current cost of 17.1ppp = £29.60!!!! Yip that's if you don't even turn it on. I've two of them in the house, nearly £60 before turning them on. Thats like burning two/four energy saving lamps in your living room 24/7, you wouldn't do that?

They use 0.4w in high standby mode (with RF loop through turned off), at that cost I can plan when I'm watching TV or wait the two mins :)

You should switch suppliers. 17p per kw/h is a rip off tariff. I pay 12p! Google martin lewis cheap energy club.
    JamesB said:

This is the point i was trying to make with the post guys. Having two standby modes seems to be a heavy handed compromise to meet an EU directive with standby consumption while avoiding alienating customers who want fast boot up.

It feels to me that they couldn't get the High mode startup sequence any faster and so added another mode with all software loaded into memory ready for use.

If other PVRs can achieve a low power consumption and nearly instant on then why can't Youview?
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:54PM
    gwatuk said:

I think the last time the forum discussed the power consumption issue the overwhelming number of opinions expressed were that worrying about the ecological "big picture" was not important, so let's just go with Low Eco and forget about it.
    But if you do the sums (considering how many YouView users there now are) the impact of this is not trivial.

Another theoretical question you might ask is "Why bother with Low eco?" when the power saving is so small.
    I'm irritated by the whole "Tip: Adjust Eco mode..." thing - it encourages people to just go for this without explaining the implications. (This is of course inevitable - YouView wouldn't want to draw attention to this.)
    I'm sure that the start up time from a proper stand by state could have been designed to be more acceptable, but presumably there was a cost implication for the hardware (faster processor/more memory?)

edited 10 March 2014, 10:50AM
    JamesB said:

I have no idea why they can't. Even my 2010 designed pvr would start up instantly out of standby. It used less than 2w in standby if you left the clock off. It only used 28w when it was on!
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    We use Eco High too, we don't use our Humax box everyday, and even when using the TV sometimes just rely on the Freeview or Freesat tunner in the TV if its just a quick look at the news or whatever. Maybe the Youview box would be used more if the start up time for Eco High was better, but I would not like to see the feature dropped either. More annoying our family is missing kids channels we have on Freesat on Freeview but thats another issue entirely. :)
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,025Member ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    al said:

i'd use the app if it worked in High Eco mode, but for me I prefer saving the energy of High Eco rather than having the box effectively on all the time.
  • tullyhubberttullyhubbert Posts: 10Member
    edited 10 March 2014, 5:34PM

Welcome to life in Northern Ireland. AFAIK our only other option is a company based in the ROI offering a fence pence per year of a saving.

Even at 12ppu its £21 a year to keep the STB in standby. I've been using the High Eco setting the last few weeks (Using two antennas so no RF loop through turned on) and its really not that much hassle.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,431Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Personally I still see a place for both modes whilst neither is entirely optimal, i.e. one is very energy efficient but very slow to start up and the other is rather energy inefficient but quick to start up, but then that was where the original eco modes and startup times topic began.

YouView did speed up the startup times a fraction early on but they also introduced the long double boot problem around then too and probably having cleared that feel they are better working on other areas given the difficulties they find speeding up the start up times (from a low energy state) produces. Ideally I would link to an exact post (if only that were still possible) in the  original eco modes and startup times topic where I summarised the main power consumption states of the Humax T1000 box and some typical broad cost estimates - the best I can do now is say it is in the 5th page of posts on that topic. I made a subsequent comment in a post on the 6th page, commenting about the different total cost of all YouView boxes running in high or low eco mode, where the total difference in cost of about 1 million boxes would be now on the order of £15m per year.
  • Mark James1Mark James1 Posts: 37Member
    edited 14 July 2014, 8:34PM
    bryfly said:

Agree the long start up time in high Eco mode takes to long, but rather that than the continuing whirring noise of the hard drive or fan or whatever it is. Keep the high Eco but just reduce the start up time to something more sensible. Wonder if it is the youview side that takes the time or the pvr side, as my Humax 9200 and 9300 do not take that long. 

Same here, as I just mildly ranted elsewhere, I had a 9200 and drive would spin down in standby and spin back up when needed in just a few seconds. A function of the drive itself and ought to be very simple.