Vintage TV

DM1DM1 Member Posts: 8
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
will this channel compatible with youview box 

Comments

• SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi DM,

Vintage TV is a MHEG Channel so it wouldn't be available through YouView at this point in time but we are always exploring the possibility of adding new channels.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:40PM
    What does that mean? What is MHEG and why does that make it different from other channels?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    jonesh said:

What does that mean? What is MHEG and why does that make it different from other channels?

Only a select number of boxes and smart TVs can view these Freeview internet delivered channels and YouView isn't one of them.

http://www.connect-tv.tv/who-we-work-with.aspx

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/04/connect-tv-compatible-devices.html

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 10 July 2014, 12:05AM
    jonesh said:

There's a good explanation of MHEG-IC at http://www.impala.org/what-mheg/mheg-....

It's included in the YouView Core Specification, but didn't get implemented.
    jonesh said:

I also tried to link to Vision TVs website but their internet security certificate has expired.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM
    jonesh said:

Thanks chaps. Nothing important then. Or at least, nothing to worry about!
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 9:24AM
    jonesh said:

And for some reason Youview never ever explained why it's in the core specification but not implemented.
    jonesh said:

It's not really a mystery. Flash was there, and working, and the pressure to launch in time for the Olympics was intense.

Since then, attention has shifted away from MHEG-IC towards HTML5. Implementing everything in the spec is not important, compared to keeping up with where the industry is going.
    jonesh said:

Keeping up? They still never go around to adding basic DVR features which have been called for. 
    jonesh said:

Because that's exactly where the industry's not going.

DVR's are yesterday. I wish it wasn't so.
  • Michael Alan RobertsMichael Alan Roberts Member Posts: 9
    edited 22 June 2014, 8:16PM
    jonesh said:

I think that it is poor show that YouView hasn't got the Freeview HD spec / MHEG-IC working by now. It is confusing enough for consumers as to why some channels on Freeview HD don't appear on Freeview (DVB-T2 vs DVB-T), without having to explain why YouView cand get HD but not these channels. We all would like the extra choice, and while I agree they should be working on HTML5 they should get the IC channels working.
    jonesh said:

To be honest my Youview box gets used more as a DVR than anything else and to be honest at retail, its little more than a DVR with on-demand. So not really sure what you mean to be honest cc. This is no Chromecast is it?
    jonesh said:

DVRs have three main attractions: timeshifting, skipping ads, and building up a collection of recordings.

Ad-skipping is problematic for commercial broadcasters, for obvious reasons.

Allowing people to build up a collection of recordings is potentially problematic for all content providers, as it tends to give many users a sense of ownership over the content they've recorded.

Timeshifting can be done through streaming - either through straightforward catchup, or through allowing users the illusion that "their" recordings are being stored in the cloud.

YouView have already talked about bringing out a zapper box, like TalkTalk.

I'm predicting more and more operators will move to this solution.
    jonesh said:

Here's the article in which this is mentioned:

"YouView expands to build cloud PVRs and give personal recommendations"
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/youvi...
  • steven bartlettsteven bartlett Member Posts: 2
    edited 4 July 2014, 4:10PM
    Sanj said:

Hi DM,

Vintage TV is a MHEG Channel so it wouldn't be available through YouView at this point in time but we are always exploring the possibility of adding new channels.

So why is it listed in the tv guide?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Sanj said:

Hi DM,

Not on mine it isn't.

What TV guide, exactly,
    at what position,
    and who is your ISP,
    and is this an ISP IP channel delivery, not an OTA Freeview one?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • steven bartlettsteven bartlett Member Posts: 2
    edited 4 July 2014, 10:11PM
    Sanj said:

Hi DM,

Channel 242 youview on talk talk but cant view it says device not compatible
    Sanj said:

Hi DM,

You have just answered your own question, steven. And YouViews not the only box that can't get this and the other MHEG channels. But they are still listed on the EPG because none of the boxes have control over the EPG, Digital UK controls the LCNs and all boxes list them whether they can get them or not (and I hope that makes sense).
    Sanj said:

Hi DM,

So it is, in the YouView box EPG proper.

But it is not listed on the YouView app EPG.

How come it has to appear in the one but not in the other, do you suppose?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Sanj said:

Hi DM,

At a guess - they have control over the app (because its theirs).
    Sanj said:

Hi DM,

But the YouView software itself is just a big 'app', really.

So the rules must be different for some other reason.

There's no requirement for SD-only sets to list the HD channels, for instance, and indeed it would be frustrating if they did.

Hmm... I wonder if Freeview Lite transmitters show a cut-down EPG?
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi all,

In case you've missed the news, Vintage TV is now available on all YouView Humax set-top boxes from retail and YouView from BT. Read the official thread for more information.