eathernet

kevin2kevin2 Member Posts: 3
edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM in Archived Posts
do i need an eathernet port on the back of my tv to view the streaming channels from youview or does it connect another way?

Comments

• Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 23 July 2014, 6:23PM
    No, the YouView box only connects to your TV using either the HDMI socket or, if you do not have one on your (older) TV, the SCART socket (but you will not get HD pictures)

The Ethernet port is on the rear of the YV box and links to your internet router using a lead. Other options are available (and mostly work perfectly well) if your router is some way from the YV box but a direct lead connection is recommended.

There are streaming channels included in BT and TalkTalk's bundles but there are some streaming channels on Freeview HD. These are not compatible with the YV box and you would need a recent Freeview HD television receiver which would have an ethernet socket.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    No, you just need to provide an internet connection (with Ethernet) directly to the YouView box. This handy video should help:
    http://support.youview.com/articles/Self_Service_FAQ/connection-guide/

The YouView box does all the video streaming/decoding and just sends the picture to the TV, the TV doesn't have to do any broadband-related work itself.
  • kevin2kevin2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    i have a freeview hd box are you saying i should use it instead of the youview box that bt supplied because i will pick up more?
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM
    kevin2 said:

i have a freeview hd box are you saying i should use it instead of the youview box that bt supplied because i will pick up more?

These are the channels that you currently can't stream through YouView:
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/what-we-offer/smart-tv/streaming-channels-and-connect-tv

Whereas with a Freeview HD box you won't be able to pick up the extra channels that BT stream to you, and won't be able to use any features that YouView provides over and above your other box (does your other box record / live rewind? remote record via app? there'll be no scrollback epg, global search, curated & integrated catchup, not as many catchup players, etc. etc.)
  • kevin2kevin2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 23 July 2014, 6:37PM
    kevin2 said:

but what channels do i loose if i go for the youview option?
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM
    kevin2 said:

The ones on that link are freeview ONLY. You'd "lose" them until the point if/when they join YouView.
    But with the freeview box you'd lose BT Sport and the option of bolting on these extra channels: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/extra-channels
  • roger1roger1 Member Posts: 69
    edited 25 October 2014, 11:23AM
    kevin2 said:

The short answer is channels in the EPG 225 to 299 inclusive.
    You would also not be able to receive channels delivered by a red button service such as 4Music on channel 18.
    http://www.connect-tv.tv/faq.aspx
    provides more detail, explains the various standards and lists set top boxes and tvs that are capable of receiving these channels.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    kevin2 said:

Kevin

Depending on its age and its spec, it's possible your FreeView HD box won't pick up those channels in the range 225 to 299 anyway; and it certainly won't if it was made before 2012, maybe even 2013.

But if the box can get them, I suggest you look at them, and what the subscription costs would be of any that you might fancy, and decide if you really want to give up all the extra YouView channels and facilities in their favour.

Not that it's even an either/or choice. If you have a spare HDMI socket on your TV so you can have both the YouView box and the FreeView HD box connected, all you need additionally is a further male-to-female aerial lead. Then you can daisy-chain the aerial socket on the wall to the FreeView box and then to the YouView box and finally to the TV, and you can have the best of both worlds.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris