Humax Youview box won't turn on/appears to be dead

24

Comments

  • S RS R Member Posts: 168
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:23AM
    If more than a number of boxes fail in the same way then it suggests a manufacturing defect. Humax were well known to have put capacitors in the fox-t2 boxes which shortened their life times. Definitely try the SOGA route and ask for a newer exchange box as a goodwill gesture.

    I think humax should make more of an effort to place boxes for free or low cost that fail before 18 months of age. I think that is the bare minimum time I'd expect for a PVR.

    Topfield did the same with theirs but they generally lasted a few years. Humax have clearly been in the bottom of the parts bin with the cheapest and nastiest bits. A cheap psu is always a false economy and they should know better.

    Alternatively bin it and get a new box from Richersounds with the 5 year warranty. Then at least you know you'll get 5 years use out of whatever you buy rather than having to replace it every year or two.
  • KeyKey Member Posts: 14
    edited 16 April 2014, 1:18PM
    Mine has also died today. I have the exact same symptoms as Cudmik and Mark Heath.  Appears dead on the front and the internet connection on the back lights up.  Did anyone manage to fix their box at all?  Is there any way to recover recordings?  Can you transfer the HDD to another box and get the recordings working?

  • bigron1000 .bigron1000 . Member Posts: 3
    edited 16 April 2014, 12:24PM
    Key said:

    Mine has also died today. I have the exact same symptoms as Cudmik and Mark Heath.  Appears dead on the front and the internet connection on the back lights up.  Did anyone manage to fix their box at all?  Is there any way to recover recordings?  Can you transfer the HDD to another box and get the recordings working?

    You should be able to plug the HDD in and retrieve your recordings but I am unsure how the files are set up and how easy they are to read.
    I can confirm that mine died of a knackered PSU - my father, an electronic engineer, tested it for me. The PSU would be dead easy to change as well but I cannot get hold of a spare.
    I am afraid we have been royally done over by sub standard components. No excuse for a 300 quid box (when new/ first out).
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 16 April 2014, 12:24PM
    Key said:

    Mine has also died today. I have the exact same symptoms as Cudmik and Mark Heath.  Appears dead on the front and the internet connection on the back lights up.  Did anyone manage to fix their box at all?  Is there any way to recover recordings?  Can you transfer the HDD to another box and get the recordings working?

    I'm afraid the answer to your last question is no. The recordings are encoded to only play back on the original box.

    I am having peculiar things happening with the playback from the buffer since the last update so I suspect this might have a bug.

    Have you tried accessing the 'engineers menu'?
  • bigron1000 .bigron1000 . Member Posts: 3
    edited 16 April 2014, 12:25PM
    Key said:

    Mine has also died today. I have the exact same symptoms as Cudmik and Mark Heath.  Appears dead on the front and the internet connection on the back lights up.  Did anyone manage to fix their box at all?  Is there any way to recover recordings?  Can you transfer the HDD to another box and get the recordings working?

    Meant to say, Bigron100o is also Mark Heath!!
  • KeyKey Member Posts: 14
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:24AM
    Thanks for the quick responses.

    So If it is the power supply, I can replace that and be able to play my recordings, otherwise they are lost because you can't transfer and play them on another box by swapping the HDD?

    No I haven't tried the engineers menu, how would I do that?
    Is it the turn on at back, hold power button on front and press "+" &" -" buttons?
    If it is that I've tried that but I have no lights on the front at all so nothing seems to happen.

    I wonder if there has been some update as besides my box "dying" there are several other recent posts of failed recordings and stuck on boot up.

    I can't grumble too much as mine was a free trial box but I had a lot of recordings to watch later in the year when I will have some spare time.

  • bigron1000 .bigron1000 . Member Posts: 3
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:26AM
    Mine we a free trial box (actually it was the second 'free' box as the first one did the same). Matey boy I am sure is right and the recordings will be coded. Having said that I ripped recordings off a sony i used to have with  no problem but i accept that was a few years ago and different make. I have not managed to track down a PSU after a couple of months hunting and hoping to get a cheap one on ebay. hey ho. just wont buy Humax in the future.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:26AM
    Remember the Sale of Goods Acts (in England and Wales) allow for redress for up to 6 years from purchase if there is an inherent fault. The contract is with your retailer, not Humax and any claim under the SOGA should go to them. You may need expert advice about the cause of the PSU failure which is where an electronics engineer may come in handy.

    After my experience with Humax and my Foxsat (the replacement died last month with the same problem), I always advise to never ever buy a Humax without an extended warranty and point people to Richer Sounds' 5 year one. John Lewis offer one of similar length but may be more expensive. Always worthwhile negotiating that down using their 'never knowingly undersold' claim for the total amount.

    I am on my second YouView box after the first developed a bug and crashed wiping all recordings on its own. Thankfully it was within the 1 year triallists warranty period and I paid nothing for it. Needless to say, the replacement freesat receiver I purchased was from Richer Sounds and is not a Humax
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:27AM

    I am using a tablet to respond and one edit seems to have gone AWOL. The problem with the Foxsat HD's PSU was a couple of substandard capacitors which blew, typically 731 days after purchase. At the height you could get kits with replacements and instructions on ebay for about £5 which gives some sort of indication of the extent. The capacitors themselves were about £1 each in electronics shops.

    The capacitors in the Foxsat PSU were obviously "blown" to the trained eye. BTW Doesn't the new BT box from Humax have a separate PSU? I wonder why!!!

    UPDATE: I googled about the Foxsat PSU and found an on-line retailer still listing the repair kit (3 capacitors known to fail for £4.99). I have sent the guy a message alerting him to a possible new kit he could provide for the YouView PSU. 

    I was going to go to one of those "repair fairs" to get advice before purchasing the capacitors but I may well go ahead and see if my local guys can solder the things on the PSU board for me

  • Megan Styles LythMegan Styles Lyth Member Posts: 1
    edited 7 May 2014, 2:51PM
    My humaxdigital box has been playing up for months ..have gone
    back to the retailer on many occasion while in guarantee and instructed me to try this and that and now they say they will look at it for the sum of £39.00 plus vat and they saying it is now out of guarantee.. I was told today to Rr try a manufacture set up .. I did this and the box now doesn't even switch on. Is completely dead the bloody thing has a mind of his own.... WHAT A HUMAX RIP OFF ...
    Do we have any rights for a box replacement....!!!!!!!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Humax 1 year warranty, EU minimum is 2, for demonstrably inherent faults the UK give 6.

    Anything they can't repair in 3 goes is a lemon, and you are entitled to your money back.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • KenAdamKenAdam Member Posts: 1
    edited 23 July 2014, 6:36PM
    Humax you view box died over teh past couple fo weeks - final straw for it was tryign the maintenance menu options as requested by support (none of which would complete successfully) after which it woudl not boot at all, even into maintenance menu. Sent off warranty form with requested exchange date of yesterday. today they tell me that they don't have any with a 1TB disk and are awaiting stock - they have no idea when they'll get stock "but don;t worry you will get a replacement eventually". They do have sales stock but cant use that. It may be no problem for them that I have no recorder, but they don;t seem to see why it hould be a problem for me.
    No more humax for me.
  • c cc c Member Posts: 413
    edited 22 July 2014, 10:16AM
    KenAdam said:

    Humax you view box died over teh past couple fo weeks - final straw for it was tryign the maintenance menu options as requested by support (none of which would complete successfully) after which it woudl not boot at all, even into maintenance menu. Sent off warranty form with requested exchange date of yesterday. today they tell me that they don't have any with a 1TB disk and are awaiting stock - they have no idea when they'll get stock "but don;t worry you will get a replacement eventually". They do have sales stock but cant use that. It may be no problem for them that I have no recorder, but they don;t seem to see why it hould be a problem for me.
    No more humax for me.

    If you bought it retail, contact the seller and ask them to resolve the problem, citing the Sale of Goods Act. They should offer a repair, replacement, or partial refund (whichever suits them).

  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:27AM
    PeteB said, 11 months ago:-

    Ah yes, it (ed: a comment) was hidden behind one of those pesky 'x more comments' links...I often seem to miss spotting them!

    which blast from the past led me to remember that chains of comments used to collapse back then, which they no longer do.

    So, a small cheer for GS getting that right going forward :-)

    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 23 July 2014, 6:36PM
    KenAdam said:

    Humax you view box died over teh past couple fo weeks - final straw for it was tryign the maintenance menu options as requested by support (none of which would complete successfully) after which it woudl not boot at all, even into maintenance menu. Sent off warranty form with requested exchange date of yesterday. today they tell me that they don't have any with a 1TB disk and are awaiting stock - they have no idea when they'll get stock "but don;t worry you will get a replacement eventually". They do have sales stock but cant use that. It may be no problem for them that I have no recorder, but they don;t seem to see why it hould be a problem for me.
    No more humax for me.

    Agreed, your contract is with the retailer, not Humax. The more people with these boxes which patently have an inherent fault at manufacture should press them. Humax have a dreadful reputation for denying faults (see my comments on the HD Foxsat above). Even worse are their charges for "out of warranty" repairs where it is usually cheaper to buy another refurbished one or even new than pay them.  The £39 requested by a retailer is a real bargain in comparison.
  • john3john3 Member Posts: 1
    edited 25 July 2014, 3:58PM
    I have had my machine for a couple of years, I moved and set up my TV and various recorders, Disk player etc, When I plugged a Scart lead from the Humax to the TV there was a 'Pop' and the Humax was dead, I assumed that there is a protective fuse in the unit which is usual practice but I have opened the box and no prizes or fuses, The switch is live when switched on although it flashes when operated but although on and live that is as far as it goes, Any ideas please??
  • skippysteskippyste Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Sadly my box cooling fan has just failed. Another dead YouView box to add to the mix...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    skippyste said:

    Sadly my box cooling fan has just failed. Another dead YouView box to add to the mix...

    Hi Steve, and welcome to the Community!

    But you are our second Steve, something that this forum software, unusually perhaps, allows.

    Given which, could you bear to change your moniker a little, so we can tell you apart more easily? :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • skippysteskippyste Member Posts: 2
    edited 26 November 2014, 7:40PM
    skippyste said:

    Sadly my box cooling fan has just failed. Another dead YouView box to add to the mix...

    Thank you for your welcome and all of your helpful advice that I've read so far on here. I'll change my name now :)
  • PeterGPeterG Member Posts: 4
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    My DTR-T 1010 has also given up working completely after intermittant operation and the odd software reset. You get fed up in the end of switching it off at the mains and hoping for the best next time before it hangs at some inopportune moment.

    Mine is 16months old and I didn't know about the registration for the second year warranty so out of warranty (I think that is very sneaky). I have gone back to the on-line retailer and asked what they can do under the sale of goods act 1979. They are asking for a report from a local engineer but I can't find one who is interested.

    Its clearly a PSU problem and is a known issue and an unacceptable situation. I have recntly read that EU legislation gives the consumer a right to repair or replacement within 2 years of purchase - http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/may/23/tesco-consumer-guarantee I have yet to go back to the retailer (Electrical123 / Appliancesdirect) with this, but I can tell that I am not the first to come back to them and they are determined to give me the run around.

    I have so far been offered a non-Humax repair for £95, and from Humax a replacement with 6 month warranty for £110, a repair for £130 or a manager's special with 1 years warranty for £129. None of which is satisfactory.

    Any advice would be apprectiated.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    PeterG said:

    My DTR-T 1010 has also given up working completely after intermittant operation and the odd software reset. You get fed up in the end of switching it off at the mains and hoping for the best next time before it hangs at some inopportune moment.

    Mine is 16months old and I didn't know about the registration for the second year warranty so out of warranty (I think that is very sneaky). I have gone back to the on-line retailer and asked what they can do under the sale of goods act 1979. They are asking for a report from a local engineer but I can't find one who is interested.

    Its clearly a PSU problem and is a known issue and an unacceptable situation. I have recntly read that EU legislation gives the consumer a right to repair or replacement within 2 years of purchase - http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/may/23/tesco-consumer-guarantee I have yet to go back to the retailer (Electrical123 / Appliancesdirect) with this, but I can tell that I am not the first to come back to them and they are determined to give me the run around.

    I have so far been offered a non-Humax repair for £95, and from Humax a replacement with 6 month warranty for £110, a repair for £130 or a manager's special with 1 years warranty for £129. None of which is satisfactory.

    Any advice would be apprectiated.

    You can go to the Small Claims court for £70, which is cheaper than any of the above. You will win.

    But more effectively and cheaply, a letter setting out a clear knowledge of your consumer rights, that the PSU issue is a known one, an inherent fault from new, and that you require redress - make your choice of repair, replacement or refund, and specify which one you want - will cost you £1.70 to send recorded delivery to their head office, and will make them sit up and take notice.

    Such a letter has just meant that I and my wife have £1150 instead of an unsatisfactory washer/drier sitting unused in our garage, without the need to go to court, after a few earlier polite letters sent by ordinary mail, and a number of telephone conversations, elicited only negative, or no, responses.

    Also worth knowing your Section 75 rights under the SOGA, if you paid by credit card, as the card company is jointly and severally liable (i.e. for the whole amount if need be) if the goods cost more than £100. Copying the said letter to them, also by RD, may well lead to them having a little chat with the retailer about rights and obligations.

    Though I kept my powder dry on that one, and did not need to fire that barrel :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • PeterGPeterG Member Posts: 4
    edited 26 November 2014, 10:22PM
    Thanks Roy, that letter sounds like a plan.
  • S RS R Member Posts: 168
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    The EU 2 year thing is a myth. It doesn't apply to the UK as we have the up to 6 years via SOGA route. Have you asked humax themselves directly for an exchange? They usually exchange for free on their models up to them being 2 years old. The second year of warranty registration I have no idea about. The serial number tells them when it was made. This can be a lot easier than dealing with the retailer. You will get another of the same model. I'd do that first as it is easier to get an exchange which will buy you more time to then replace it with something better as the YV boxes really are rubbish. The humax non youview is a lot better and doesn't have the irritations of the YVs. Mine has been a lot better than the YV I had and the last software update has removed some of the issues with low signal on some channels so I can record on BBC4 HD.

    If you do replace the YV yourself then buy from Richersounds and get their 5 year warranty add on. It will be a lot less painful in the long run!

    Consumer regulations changed in June this year so I don't know whether the old rules apply or new ones as the new ones are a bit clearer on how many replacements/repairs you have to accept before the retailer has to refund.

    I'd definitely talk to citizen's advice consumer direct helpline and find out what the best course of action is but talk to Humax themselves first to see if they'll just exchange it as that is the easiest of just getting another box for no cost.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 12:57PM
    S R said:

    The EU 2 year thing is a myth. It doesn't apply to the UK as we have the up to 6 years via SOGA route. Have you asked humax themselves directly for an exchange? They usually exchange for free on their models up to them being 2 years old. The second year of warranty registration I have no idea about. The serial number tells them when it was made. This can be a lot easier than dealing with the retailer. You will get another of the same model. I'd do that first as it is easier to get an exchange which will buy you more time to then replace it with something better as the YV boxes really are rubbish. The humax non youview is a lot better and doesn't have the irritations of the YVs. Mine has been a lot better than the YV I had and the last software update has removed some of the issues with low signal on some channels so I can record on BBC4 HD.

    If you do replace the YV yourself then buy from Richersounds and get their 5 year warranty add on. It will be a lot less painful in the long run!

    Consumer regulations changed in June this year so I don't know whether the old rules apply or new ones as the new ones are a bit clearer on how many replacements/repairs you have to accept before the retailer has to refund.

    I'd definitely talk to citizen's advice consumer direct helpline and find out what the best course of action is but talk to Humax themselves first to see if they'll just exchange it as that is the easiest of just getting another box for no cost.

    Humax have already made an unsatisfactory offer as the poster said. Further contact with the manufacturer is a waste of time, any legal redress has to be sought from the retailer.
  • S RS R Member Posts: 168
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:28AM
    Sorry I missed it was from Humax themselves. Bad attitude from them as it is their poor quality manufacturing that is the cause of these issues in the first place!

    Time to get Watchdog involved perhaps?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 February 2018, 9:29AM
    Ah yes, never mind your legal rights, get Anne Robinson on the case!
  • PeterGPeterG Member Posts: 4
    edited 8 March 2015, 6:31PM
    Well it turns out the retailer is part of the Co-operative e-stores group and a letter is on its way, recorded delivery.

    There is a subtle difference between the SOGA and EU coverage. The former appears to put some burden of proof of the fault on the customer (which retailers are obviously relying on to fob people off) but the EU directive 'does not require the buyer to show the fault is inherent in the product and not down to their actions'.

    Below is an extract from my letter in case it can help anyone else in the same situation.

    Ideally, I would like the product to be refunded but would accept a replacement with a new product as is my right under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 according to the CAB advice guide. If a new replacement of the same model is not available, I would also accept an equivalent current model of the same product.

    I also understand that I may have rights that entitle me to a two year warranty from you, the retailer under EU directive 1999/44/EC, which states:

    'A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period.'

    As with UK law, a seller is not bound by the guarantee 'if the (fault) has its origin in materials supplied by the consumer'. But the EU rule does not require the buyer to show the fault is inherent in the product and not down to their actions. The EU rule also says buyers need to report a problem within two months of discovering it if they want to be covered under the rule. The EU rule can be enforced where

    • The goods were purchased no longer than two years ago
    • The store will not provide a refund or repair because you are returning the item after their return period has ended, usually one year
    • You are reporting the fault within two months of discovering it
    • The goods show no signs of damage through your actions or misuse.

     I can categorically state that the fault is not has not been caused but me but is inherent in the product, but I would welcome any inspection at my house, should you wish to organize this. Otherwise I look forward to hearing from you with an offer of refund or replacement shortly.

  • winelightwinelight Member Posts: 16
    edited 17 July 2017, 10:31AM
    Mine has just failed with the same symptoms (dead except for lights over Ethernet port at the back). Is anyone able to definitively confirm please is this the PSU? If so, might it not be possible to obtain a replacement part from Humax? (Or even repair the PSU, if it is simply capacitor failure.)
  • Deadly FartsDeadly Farts Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited 30 November 2014, 4:40PM
    winelight said:

    Mine has just failed with the same symptoms (dead except for lights over Ethernet port at the back). Is anyone able to definitively confirm please is this the PSU? If so, might it not be possible to obtain a replacement part from Humax? (Or even repair the PSU, if it is simply capacitor failure.)

    I bought a working replacement on ebay. soon after using it I changed my mind about just switching to it - too many recordings on the old one I want to see.

    so I opened both up and swapped PSUs.

    the new box with old psu works.
    the old box with new psu behaves the same - network lights only.

    It's not the PSU.

    I swapped hard drives (before doing that I dd'd(unix backup) my old one.
    the new box wiped the old drive but it worked.

    the old box with new drive - no change ((net lights only)

    It's not the disk.

    incidentally, I bought a Seagate hybrid ssd/hhd 2tb and use that now in the new box - cold boot startup time is about 40s faster.

    meanwhile, the old box did spring back to life a few times (after I restored the backup). it made me update the software - but didnt reboot up. after a few more power ups it started once, I saw some recordings, then put in standby, but it wouldn't restart.

    after about switching on/off 50 or times it wok up once. again watched some stuff but into standby it freezes up. then doesnt power up.

    im still turning it on/off waiting for a rare wakeup.

    I swapped the front panel too- no change.

    so I think it something on the mainboard- but it could be hardware or firmware (nothing on the disk as that is not started)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    winelight said:

    Mine has just failed with the same symptoms (dead except for lights over Ethernet port at the back). Is anyone able to definitively confirm please is this the PSU? If so, might it not be possible to obtain a replacement part from Humax? (Or even repair the PSU, if it is simply capacitor failure.)

    Certainly something here that doesn't smell quite right.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
Sign In or Register to comment.