Can I use my iPhone as a internet connection for my youview

Kieran HumeKieran Hume Member Posts: 1
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts

Comments

• Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 4:59PM
    Hi Kieran, do you mean using the iPhone as a wireless hotspot for the YouView box? If so then this is not possible as the YouView box does not support a wireless connection to the iPhone. The box is designed to be connected via ethernet for the most reliable and stable connection.

Even if this could be connected the data restrictions for 3G would not be optimal for the performance of the box.

Phil
  • plaxyplaxy Member Posts: 217
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi Kieran - while not wishing to seem to contradict Phil, I used my YouView box on a hotspot connection for several weeks while between ISPs. Not optimal, as Phil says, and you need to get it set up with a wireless link, but it does work pretty well.
  • Zoe GloverZoe Glover Member Posts: 6
    edited 10 June 2014, 7:24AM
    plaxy said:

Hi Kieran - while not wishing to seem to contradict Phil, I used my YouView box on a hotspot connection for several weeks while between ISPs. Not optimal, as Phil says, and you need to get it set up with a wireless link, but it does work pretty well.

Hi Plaxy how do you do this please 

• Shaun EdwardsShaun Edwards Member Posts: 70
    edited 31 January 2015, 3:55PM
    plaxy said:

You will need a TP Link Mini Router / Repeater. Check out Ebay, I got mine around £9.00. Hope this helped
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    plaxy said:

I would also recommend an 'all you can eat' data plan, or at least a very generous one, on the iPhone as streaming video will burn through those Gbs quite fast.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 30 July 2014, 10:28PM
    plaxy said:

Shaun Edwards, I got the router but cant work out how to change the default settings to client mode.  How do I connect to the router to change the settings on it.  Thanks in advance
    Zoe
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    plaxy said:

Hopefully Shaun, who knows the answers will appear, but if not then what you generally do is:-

Power up the router as a router.
    Use the wifi on the iPhone to connect to it.
    Use the Safari browser on the iPhone to connect to the router's configuration screen.
    I do this for my router by typing in 192.168.1.1 as a 'URL' in the search box in Safari, but the number may vary. In general, if you look at the IP address your iPhone is showing after you connect it, and replace the last number there with a 1, this will do it.
    Or you can download the very useful and free App 'Fing', which will list your connected devices and tell you the answer exactly.
    Once connected to the router, follow the instructions in its manual to make it run in Client mode.
    After this, put the iPhone in Wifi Hotspot mode.
    You will probably find that the router will have a different IP address now it is a client of the iPhone, if you need to configure it further to provide the passkey that the iPhone may require.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 1 August 2014, 2:41AM
    PLEASE check your telecom provider's terms and conditions. Many do not allow tethering, as this is called, from your monthly allowance and you will be charged for all the data you use. This is certainly the case with 3. So called unlimited plans can also have "fair use" limits and Youview is very heavy on bandwidth.
    edited 1 August 2014, 8:28PM
    I am on 3 they allow unlimited tethering, unlimited internet, calls and texts so I got that covered thanks, the trouble I am having roy is getting the box of tricks onto router client mode as it is set up by default to a different mode.  Will keep plugging away as its gonna be easy and obvious I am sure haha thanks again