BT Youview+ T2100 Lockups

Steve12Steve12 Member Posts: 49
edited 6 August 2017, 10:30AM in Archived Posts
I have had the latest Humax/BT Youview+ box for just over a week now. In that time it has locked-up 3 or 4 times when coming out of standby (Low ECO mode). When this happens it just goes to a black screen with 'HDMI 1' at the top left of the screen, Tuner 1 at the top middle, and the time at the top right.

When the lockup occurs a reset sometimes cures this but once several resets failed to restore the picture output, but this then rectified itself when the box started a pre-programmed recording.

Has anyone else experienced this Black Screen when coming out of standby?
Is this likely to be a software bug or a faulty unit?

Many thanks

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Hi Steve

Assuming the reset you did was the 'touch standby button for just over 8 seconds' reset, there's not much more you can do, beyond making sure the HDMI cable is firmly pushed in at both ends. Which I think you will find that it is...

What you see on your TV screen is all a function of the TV at that time, showing that you are watching HDMI 1, which I presume the YouView box is connected on, and you could switch to watch Tuner 1 if you wanted to instead (always assuming you have a M-F aerial cable looping the YouView RF (Aerial) output through to the TV Aerial In).

As the screen is black apart from the above and the time, also coming from the TV, though, it follows that the YouView box is outputting nothing at all.

There isn't a universal software bug that causes what you are (not!) seeing, but these symptoms have been reported before, though rarely if ever in a box only one week old.

That a reset sometimes works, only for the problem to reappear later, seems to indicate that the YouView box can't hold its running software without it getting corrupted. This issue tends to be hardware related at bottom, even though it appears only intermittently.

If I were you, I would get on to BT, and demand an engineer's visit, preferably with him ensuring that he brings a replacement box to swap yours out with, if he agrees with our diagnosis.

I also recommend that the next time the box misbehaves, you take a short video of this on your mobile phone, to show the engineer when he comes. This will ensure, if the thing refuses to misbehave for him when he visits, that he knows there is an issue and will militate towards you getting a replacement box and not an £80 (or whatever it is) NFF callout charge.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Steve12Steve12 Member Posts: 49
    edited 31 July 2014, 11:26AM
    Hi Roy,

Many thanks for your comprehensive response. It is appreciated.

Yes, the Youview box is connected to HDMI 1.

I believe the 'Tuner 1' on the black screen actually comes from the Youview box, proving connectivity over the HDMI i.e. When I have the TV switched to the HDMI 1 connection with the Youview box in standby then the 'Tuner 1' is not displayed. When I bring the Youview box out of standby then the 'Tuner 1' message comes up briefly before Youview springs to life.

The resets I have done include just going back into standby and out again and also full power offs.

The box was not sourced directly from BT so I'm not sure that they would be at all interested in my problem.

Many thanks
    Hi Steve

I was basing my comments on our Samsung TV, which lists the input options along the top.

However, the YouView box has two tuners, so it's entirely possible that it is reporting 'Tuner 1' as the most it can do instead of showing you broadcast output from this tuner, though I have never seen this described before.

The reset you should do, then, is to touch the Standby button for just over 8 seconds, and allow the YouView box to soft reset itself.

Other, more drastic, resets exist which stop just short of the full Factory Reset in the YouView menus, though if this box is of unknown provenance and you have few if any stored recordings, that might be worth a try. Otherwise:-

http://videos.youview.com/support/maintenance_mode.pdf

is your friend.

YouView keep promising to supply these instructions in a form suitable for the newer boxes that don't have a blue ring (Sanj! Phil!) but they never do :-(

But for the newer machines like yours, you just find the equivalent Vol and Ch buttons on the front of your box and use those.

As the box is not from BT, but it is only one week old (I presume) to you at least, it might be worth contacting whoever you got it from to see about a refund. Especially if it was one someone was using before you, as they must have known it was faulty.

Or a regular retailer should replace it without quibble, as should any well-known internet site which offers buyer protection.

But if you did not get it from such a supplier, this might prove problematic to a greater or lesser degree, or even impossible. In which case. we can only hope that you didn't pay very much for it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 31 July 2014, 3:29PM
    Hi Roy,

Here's what I found from the latest failures today (from another forum I have this logged with):

I've managed to get it to fail a couple of times this afternoon by putting the Youview box into standby for 5 to 10 mins while the TV was left on HDMI 1.

Switching away from HDMI 1 and back again did not cure the problem but putting the TV into standby and back out again did.

I have moved the connection on the TV to HDMI 4 to see if this makes a difference. Not managed to get it to fail so far.
    edited 31 July 2014, 3:41PM
    Here's another interesting side issue (from yet another forum I have this logged with):

"Also - if your box was originally designated for retail sale (rather than for distribution by BT), in theory it ought to be covered by a one-year manufacturer's warranty, upgradeable to two years by registration.

You can find out what category your box is in, by registering for the second-year extension at http://int.humaxdigital.com/registrations/uk/Registrations.aspx.

If your registration attempt succeeds - as I understand it, that means you automatically had a one-year warranty all along, and now you have a two-year warranty.

But if the box was originally part of a batch designated for distribution by BT, it's not covered by a Humax warranty and the registration attempt will fail."

My response:

"I fell at the first fence with the registration in that the form asks for a 14 digit serial number but my serial number is in the form:
    +<6 numbers>+<10 numbers>. "

edited 31 July 2014, 3:38PM
    And additional info on the provenance etc:

The box was purchased as new from a company/seller on eBay. The box was fully sealed so I can only presume it was brand new. All contents were packaged and appeared to be unused/brand new i.e not refurbished. The cost was £95 inc. postage.

I performed an upgrade during setup. It is running:
    Manufacturer Software: 17.3.0
    Component Software: 2.4.0
    Platform Config: 910
    ISP Config: 84

edited 31 July 2014, 3:41PM
    Steve12 said:

Here's another interesting side issue (from yet another forum I have this logged with):

"Also - if your box was originally designated for retail sale (rather than for distribution by BT), in theory it ought to be covered by a one-year manufacturer's warranty, upgradeable to two years by registration.

You can find out what category your box is in, by registering for the second-year extension at http://int.humaxdigital.com/registrations/uk/Registrations.aspx.

If your registration attempt succeeds - as I understand it, that means you automatically had a one-year warranty all along, and now you have a two-year warranty.

But if the box was originally part of a batch designated for distribution by BT, it's not covered by a Humax warranty and the registration attempt will fail."

My response:

"I fell at the first fence with the registration in that the form asks for a 14 digit serial number but my serial number is in the form:
    +<6 numbers>+<10 numbers>. "

If any owners of any BT supplied DTRT2100 boxes could confirm if this serial number corresponds to the same format as theirs it would be appreciated.
    edited 31 July 2014, 3:54PM
    Latest from another forum:

"Could be CEC on the TV which is not playing nicely with the Youview box. You could try turning it off on the TV and connect to HDM1 again."

My response - HDMI CEC now turned off and connection moved back to HDMI 1. Will see how this goes.

Steve

eBay give you buyer protection, I believe. There are retail 2100s out there, but selling BT ones, if that is what it is, is a bit naughty. And £95 is a fair bit less than Argos are asking for known kosher retail ones.

But a retail 2100 should have a Humax guarantee in the box. OTOH, I'd be surprised if the BT ones came in full retail packaging; but what do I know?

If we are suspecting CEC, we should also be suspecting the HDMI cable itself. Is it the one that came with the box? Have you got another one there you could try?
    edited 31 July 2014, 6:54PM
    Hi Roy,

If it proves to be faulty, I don't have too many concerns over sending it back for a refund. As you say there is the buyer protection provided by eBay.

I have to agree that the private selling (as new) of what I presume should be BT distribution only boxes is a concern. I would be interested to see if the serial number format is consistent with the BT only boxes...or the retail version of the BT box. It's certainly not the Humax format.

I'm not sure what the full retail packaging is like. This was just a brown cardboard box with various details and logos referring to Youview+ box from BT. There was a leaflet inside for returning your old BT set-top box to BT for recycling. No warranty card, though.

At £95 it was worth a go for an alleged new box as I'm sure a good second hand one would achieve this price and there would be limited warranty with that, if any.

I do have another good quality HDMI cable that I can try. I will first see if the problem manifests itself with CEC turned off before swapping the cable and turning it back on.

Many thanks for your help in this Roy.

Steve
    Hi Steve

I've done a bit of digging, and the brown cardboard packaged G4s are definitely intended for BT subscribers only. The clincher being the lack of a guarantee.

I'm sure it is a new box though, in the sense of it not being pre-used, though if it was pre-owned we cannot say.

Some ads for these on eBay are very naughty indeed, claiming the boxes will provide the BT Player and BT Sport, which they will not do unless you are on BT, and a subscriber as well.

But a working G4 is probably the best YouView box out there at present.

Worth playing with CEC, though I don't think this will make any difference, as I've never known CEC to prevent a signal getting through except when another device is involved and hanging on to CEC when it ought to let go.

And with the HDMI cable, which is more likely to be problematic, though if the 'Tuner 1' you see is indeed from the YouView box, then it looks like the HDMI is working OK.

Might also be worth trying the SCART connection, if your TV can take this, as an experiment. Plug both that and HDMI into the TV, try the SCART to ensure it works. Then, back on HDMI, when that dies, switch to SCART and see if that is dead also.

Let us know the result.
    edited 1 August 2014, 7:15AM
    Hi Roy,

Many thanks for your excellent, continued work on this. I'm mightily impressed!

Someone, on another forum, has found one in the same packaging as mine on Amazon, so not sure that the brown cardboard box definitely means BT subscribers only. Although does selling on Amazon equate to definitely 'not-dodgy'?:

There were no claims of BT Player/Sport from the eBay seller I bought from but they were selling a lot of these, even in bundles of 4 for £249.99.

The Youview box hasn't locked up since turning CEC off but it's early days yet and I'll keep you updated.

I'll add the scart connection so I can switch between them if it fails again as a good test.

Steve
    Hi Steve

Amazon themselves are selling the G4 for £175. That will undoubtedly be the kosher retail item, but Amazon regretfully do not show the packaging.

The one from Amazon with the picture is, I think, this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-DTR-T2100-YouView-Recorder-GSM-Fonz/dp/B00JANWNPS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electro...

Research the seller via the links on that page, with regard to the variety and volume of sales they have made, and how long they have been in business, and draw any conclusions you think appropriate from that.

In general, I prefer suppliers i can contact by telephone, other things being equal, though sometimes you have to take a punt.

I wouldn't take a punt for £45, though, even though they do, apparently, throw in a GSM-Fonz HDMI cable. Except I suspect they don't, and this is the HDMI cable in the box as standard anyway, as it is curiously unavailable anywhere else.

What does it say on the HDMI cable you got with your box?
  • Craig1Craig1 Member Posts: 21
    I'm having a similar issue with my brand new 2100 box. 50% of time I get blank screen on my Sony TV when HDMI1 is selected. If I put the 2100 into standby, then power on again, it seems to kick the HDMI into action most of the time, say 80-90%. If that fails I try again, then it will work 100% of time.

This 2100 has replaced an older T1000 model that didnt have issue. I have tried the new HDMI cable with the 2100 and the older HDMI that was used on T1000.

BTW - I'm not sure who I get 'official' support from? My ISP is TalkTalk, the Humax has a 'BT', a 'Youview' and a 'Humax' badge on it. I spoke to YouView, they suggested I call BT, but as I dont have an account with them will they still support the YouView Box?
    Hi Roy,

I did see this one on Amazon this morning which shows the box - new for £109. They've now sold out:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-DTR-T2100-YouView-Recorder-GSM-Fonz/dp/B00JANWNPS/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=U...

My Youview has failed again this morning - with CEC off. T2100 back into standby and out - still blank screen. TV switched from HDMI and back again - still blank screen. Sony TV switched off and back on - picture and sound restored on HDMI from Youview box.

I have now changed the Youview supplied HDMI cable with a PureAV HDMI cable. I'll see how this goes. If it fails again then I will follow your suggestion using a Scart cable in parallel with the HDMI.

Hi Craig,

Sorry to hear you're having similar problems. Let us know how you get on if you contact BT. I wonder if they have the facility to raise a support ticket online (without an account).

Steve
  • Craig1Craig1 Member Posts: 21
    edited 8 August 2016, 10:59AM
    Steve12 said:

Hi Roy,

I did see this one on Amazon this morning which shows the box - new for £109. They've now sold out:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-DTR-T2100-YouView-Recorder-GSM-Fonz/dp/B00JANWNPS/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=U...

My Youview has failed again this morning - with CEC off. T2100 back into standby and out - still blank screen. TV switched from HDMI and back again - still blank screen. Sony TV switched off and back on - picture and sound restored on HDMI from Youview box.

I have now changed the Youview supplied HDMI cable with a PureAV HDMI cable. I'll see how this goes. If it fails again then I will follow your suggestion using a Scart cable in parallel with the HDMI.

Hi Craig,

Sorry to hear you're having similar problems. Let us know how you get on if you contact BT. I wonder if they have the facility to raise a support ticket online (without an account).

Steve

I dont have to power cycle my Sony TV (KDL-40W5810), just put the YouView into standby once or twice, until I get the 'Tuner 1' displayed at top next to HDMI, then a second later the picture appears. I havn't messed with CEC settings (yet). My ECO mode is 'LOW' (ie quick startup). I'm not optimistic about calling BT, holding off as a last resort.
    edited 1 August 2014, 11:22AM
    Steve12 said:

Hi Roy,

Hi Craig,

Steve

When mine fails I still got the 'Tuner 1' displayed at the top - when CEC was enabled. Now CEC is disabled I don't see the 'Tuner 1' at the top of the blank screen.
    Obviously, auto switching to/from HDMI doesn't work now that CEC is disabled.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Craig1 said:

I'm having a similar issue with my brand new 2100 box. 50% of time I get blank screen on my Sony TV when HDMI1 is selected. If I put the 2100 into standby, then power on again, it seems to kick the HDMI into action most of the time, say 80-90%. If that fails I try again, then it will work 100% of time.

This 2100 has replaced an older T1000 model that didnt have issue. I have tried the new HDMI cable with the 2100 and the older HDMI that was used on T1000.

BTW - I'm not sure who I get 'official' support from? My ISP is TalkTalk, the Humax has a 'BT', a 'Youview' and a 'Humax' badge on it. I spoke to YouView, they suggested I call BT, but as I dont have an account with them will they still support the YouView Box?

Hi Craig

You get support from whoever you obtained the box from.

As that was not BT, they will not support you, and nor will TalkTalk support you, except insofar as you get issues with their Player - which should have installed itself on your new YouView box by now - that they can reproduce on their own supplied Huawei YouView boxes.

YouView will support you with general issues with the YouView software, but your problem here is not one of those.

If you got the box from a retailer like Argos or John Lewis, or from Amazon itself or from a regular retailer with a web presence either of their own or on Amazon or eBay, you should contact that retailer.

No matter where you got it from, though, if it has a Humax guarantee in the box, Humax should support you if the original supplier can't or won't.

If what you have is a YouView box intended to be supplied as part of a BT subscription, though, you will not have been supplied with such a guarantee.

If you got it from an Amazon or eBay supplier, you should contact Amazon or eBay to seek redress, and this should be forthcoming unless the seller clearly described where it came from.

In a retail transaction on new goods, you are entitled to assume it is a proper retail product unless you are clearly informed otherwise.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Steve12 said:

Hi Roy,

Hi Craig,

Steve

Steve

Indeed not. But if you manually switch to HDMI 1, as you have to when you disable CEC on the TV, I'd expect you to still see Tuner 1 there.

I wonder if you set something to record in a few minutes' time, put the box in standby and then put it on after the recording has started, if it will say 'Tuner 2' instead? :-)
    edited 1 August 2014, 4:08PM
    Youview box failed again, this time with the replacement HDMI cable. Set the Youview box to record immediately, red light came on to indicate it had started, but still blank screen on HDMI 1 on Sony TV. No 'Tuner 1' or 'Tuner 2' at top centre of screen.

I have now added the scart connection in parallel with the HDMI connection and will try switching between the two on next failure. I have tested that I do get picture and sound via both connections.

To get it to fail I am just putting the Youview box into standby but leaving the TV on on HDMI 1. I just bring the Youview box out of standby every now and again to see if it fails. It appears the longer I leave it the more chance of failure but this may not be the case.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 2 August 2014, 7:45AM
    These are almost certainly HDMI "handshaking" problems. In most cases the TV should be turned on or to the HDMI channel first followed by the YV box, in others you might have to reverse this.  I found increasing incidences of it and changed HDMI lead and which of the TV inputs I use. This seems to have cleared up my problems.

Remember the front button method is what I call a "soft reset" and does not necessarily clear down some of the data held in memory. You can do a "hard reset" by disconnecting the power. In earlier models there was an on/off switch on the back but I believe this model just has the jack input from the power brick. You could either unplug it from the box or turn off at the mains but make sure you are not recording anything first as it could damage your hard drive. Turn the box off as normal, then turn off at the mains switch/unplug the supply, wait for around 30 seconds and re-connect.

The YV boxes have a sort of three layer software set. The very basic one only does housekeeping or wakes the box up to record and equates to "high eco" mode. The next layer equates to "low eco mode" and some of the background processes are loaded, it also loads the full reception and player software. So corruption of the software at the very base level does not always get cleared by the soft reset. (Hope that maintains the right balance between detail and clarity)
    edited 1 August 2014, 7:10PM
    Many thanks Peter for your detailed, yet clear, post. Very informative.

The DTR-T2100 that I have does have an on/off switch on the back, next to the power cable connector.

If I do not find a proper resolution to this then I think the best (and safest) way for me to bring back service is to put the TV into standby and back out again, rather than any resetting/power cycling of the Youview box.
    edited 2 August 2014, 1:17PM

Got the youview box to fail again this morning i.e. blank screen on HDMI 1. Switched over to AV 1 and sound and picture were fine. Switched back to HDMI 1 and still blank screen.

TV into standby and out again brought HDMI 1 back to life. With HDMI CEC switched off on the TV, I never see 'Tuner 1' or 'Tuner 2' at the top centre of the screen, even when the Youview box comes out of standby ok.

Do you think this is just a compatibility issue between the Sony Bravia TV and the BT Youview DTR-T2100 or would you class this as a fault with my specific DTR-T2100 that is upsetting the TV?

Sony do seem to have their own way of doing things e.g. I often lose BBC iPlayer for days on the Sony Bravia TV (one reason I got the Youview box) and I often find that it is a compatibility issue following a change by iPlayer that only seems to affect Sony Smart TVs.

Your views would be appreciated.

YouView's HDMI is or was a little idiosyncratic, and we often used to see reports of issues with it on off-brand TVs that worked OK with other HDMI sources. But recently, the only reported problems with off-brand TVs seem to be trying to figure out who really made them, so users can programme their remotes.

But Sony are by no stretch of the imagination off-brand; and you do now seem to have isolated the issue to the HDMI link, and not, say, one of the tuners.

But again, HDMI problems normally manifest themselves as failed handshaking; from what you describe, the two devices are in perfect accord, but the Sony is convinced that the YouView box is sending it a blank black picture. Which may indeed be what is happening, if the YouView box is faulty.

Does the Sony misbehave with other HDMI devices? If not, this is indicative of where the problem lies.

Can you try the YouView box on some other make of TV? If it still misbehaves, then it's pretty conclusive as to what we are looking at here.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 2 August 2014, 5:05PM
    Roy1 said:

YouView's HDMI is or was a little idiosyncratic, and we often used to see reports of issues with it on off-brand TVs that worked OK with other HDMI sources. But recently, the only reported problems with off-brand TVs seem to be trying to figure out who really made them, so users can programme their remotes.

But Sony are by no stretch of the imagination off-brand; and you do now seem to have isolated the issue to the HDMI link, and not, say, one of the tuners.

But again, HDMI problems normally manifest themselves as failed handshaking; from what you describe, the two devices are in perfect accord, but the Sony is convinced that the YouView box is sending it a blank black picture. Which may indeed be what is happening, if the YouView box is faulty.

Does the Sony misbehave with other HDMI devices? If not, this is indicative of where the problem lies.

Can you try the YouView box on some other make of TV? If it still misbehaves, then it's pretty conclusive as to what we are looking at here.

Sony no longer make their European model televisions themselves. They sold off the manufacturing and development facilities to firms in central Europe and  Spain. Some of their lower cost models are also "OEM" televisions from the likes of Vestel in Turkey and are similar to  shops own brand models.

The best bet may me to change the output from HDMI1 to HDMI2 or another that is not CEC controlled.

One thing that can disrupt the negotiating in the handshaking  is the defaults. Make sure the output from the box is the highest your TV will accept. For "full HD" the settings on both will be 1080p. With very old "HD Ready" sets it might only be 720p or, more common recentlly, 1080i. You should check that both units are set to the same default.  I had an old Hitachi HD ready set that would not accept 1080p at all and blanked both video and audio until the YV box's output was changed. (On the other hand, I have a Panasonic small screen set that has a 720p panel but will accept 1080p signals)
    edited 2 August 2014, 5:05PM
    Roy1 said:

The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403. About 4 years old. Not 'top of the range' so could be one of the ones 'farmed out'?

My other TV is also a Sony so I've nothing else to try it with really.

I'm going to move the HDMI connection back to HDMI 4 on the TV as I cannot remember if I got it to fail on this port.

I'll also check the settings on the HDMI. The TV is 'Full HD' capable so should be ok with 1080p.

Now that you mention it, I haven't actually had any other devices working via HDMI, so it may be possible that it's the Sony end that's the rogue?
    On another forum, it's been suggested to do a Manufacturer Reset. May be worth a go as well.
    edited 2 August 2014, 5:46PM
    Also from another Forum:

"There were lots of reports of handshaking problems with mainly Sony and Panasonic TV sets from Youview triallists. Owners of other makes of TV set did not seem to have anywhere near the same amount of problems. I very occasionally get a pink tinge to the display with my Samsung on initial connection but without fail switching away then back fixes it. "
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    Hi Steve, I don't have a Sony Bravia TV and so have limited knowledge on the matter. But I have read that the older Bravia models can have HDMI & HDCP issues with third party eqpt, including gaming consoles (known as handshaking). Both Roy's and Peter's suggestions above are the way to go.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 2 August 2014, 5:58PM
    Many thanks for your comments, Visionman.

That's the problem with 'Standards'. They may be well defined on paper but they often get interpreted/implemented differently which results in all sorts of issues. This may well be one of those.