Aspect Ratio wont return after watching programme in 4:3

TheOldGitTheOldGit Member Posts: 2
edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM in Archived Posts
Hi,

I have my set-up to watch in 16:9 but when we watch some of the older programmes on Drama or whatever the aspect changes to 4:3 but then will not reset to 16:9.

I have been through the settings on my Youview box as well as the settings on the TV set itself, Toshiba, but to no avail. The only way I have found to fix this is to reset the whole box waiting for it to find all of the channels, and all of the other things it does in the original set-up. I don't want to keep doing this so what can I do? A hammer is looking like the next option.

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    I'm not an expert on this sort of problem - too many variables. All I can say is that with my Samsung TV set to 16:9 I have no problems with this. Even when a programme is 4:3 it switches automatically to 16:9 for the adverts, and then switches back when the programme starts again.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    The YouView box only ever outputs 16:9. When you watch a programme being transmitted in 4:3, the YouView box takes the 4:3 as 12:9 (the exact same thing if you divide top and bottom numbers by 3) within 16:9, by adding a 2:9 black bar each side.

So it's always 16:9, and there is no resetting to 16:9 to be done.

If you have changed anything on the TV when watching these programmes - though it should be completely unnecessary to switch it away from 16:9 to anything else - then that is the setting you will need to change back.

But for this to be a YouView box problem is completely inexplicable to me.

Not something I often say - indeed, I don't think I've ever said it before - but what you describe is a mystery to me, unless it is nothing to do with the YouView box.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • TheOldGitTheOldGit Member Posts: 2
    edited 5 August 2014, 11:30AM
    Roy1 said:

The YouView box only ever outputs 16:9. When you watch a programme being transmitted in 4:3, the YouView box takes the 4:3 as 12:9 (the exact same thing if you divide top and bottom numbers by 3) within 16:9, by adding a 2:9 black bar each side.

If you have changed anything on the TV when watching these programmes - though it should be completely unnecessary to switch it away from 16:9 to anything else - then that is the setting you will need to change back.

Not something I often say - indeed, I don't think I've ever said it before - but what you describe is a mystery to me, unless it is nothing to do with the YouView box.

Thanks Roy. As I said above, I left it today and it eventually went back to 16:9, just took a while. I appreciate both replies.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 7:27PM
    Roy1 said:

Thanks, Roy, for the clarification and correction of my misunderstanding. It all makes sense now.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Roy1 said:

Thinking about this further, I suppose there could be a problem with the sensing mechanism in the box such that it detects 4:3 and switches how it shows it within its 16:9 window, but does not detect the return to 16:9 (or does not switch back even if it does detect it, which amounts to the same thing).

In such a case, the 16:9 picture would be all squashed up into the 4:3 bit. Is this what you see?

Such a problem would probably come from a software corruption (I won't say bug, or other people would have seen this), but the full Factory Reset you describe doing ought to clear out all the software on the machine and reload it from the Internet.

What you might like to try if/when it happens again, though, is the 8-second soft reset - with the box still on, touch the standby button for just over 8 seconds, and allow it to reset itself.

This reset is less drastic than the full one, and does not lose any recordings, tunings, or other settings.

But it does jiggle the electrons in the box, and will perhaps shake the 16:9 detection loose.

Worth a try, anyway, and not as deleterious to the box as the percussive maintenance you are threatening it with.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 2 September 2014, 9:43PM
    Are you connecting using HDMI or SCART? It is quite unusual these days to be able to alter the aspect ratio using HDMI. There is no widescreen "flag" signal on HDMI as there is on SCART and, as Roy said, the picture is always 16:9 with 4:3 images displayed with black bars each side.

You might have a TV that allows "centre cut-out" which expands the whole 4:3 image and discards the top and bottom of the image to fill a 16:9 screen.