Reset YouView box crahes AV Receiver/Amp

removed2removed2 Member Posts: 4
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Hi,
when browsing movies on demand I keep getting a lock up in youview so I unplug the Youview box and during it's bootup cycle my Panasonic SA-BX500 crashes with no power to it all all. After leaving it 30 mins power gets to it eventually.
Any thoughts?
thanks
R

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Are you saying that the YouView box makes the Panny fall off the mains?

That seems unlikely. Or just that the unit goes apparently dead?

When it is dead, does anything else connected to it work?

This Panny:-

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERM...

has some protective circuits, but they seem to be more concerned with the speakers than anything coming over HDMI.

Can you cycle the YouView box while watching the Panny closely to see if a message flashes up, however briefly?

Have you tried a factory reset on the Panny itself?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • dave2dave2 Member Posts: 11
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Are we all forgetting most TVs have built in free view so their should always be some signal to the TV by default
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    dave2 said:

Are we all forgetting most TVs have built in free view so their should always be some signal to the TV by default

We might be forgetting that the SA-BX500 isn't a TV, it's a home cinema amp....

But apropos of TVs, YouView don't supply the female to male aerial extension lead that is needed to continue to use the TV tuner after installing a YouView box, so more people than you might think stop using the TV tuner, and reckon they have to have the YouView box on in order to watch even live TV.

And then even those who have the savvy to find and fit such a cable, but run their YouView box in High Eco mode, reckon they have to have the YouView box on even to use the TV's tuner, unless they read the Userguide like a love letter, or some kind soul tells them about the RF Loopthrough setting.

So there's no signal to a TV in the chain with a YouView box 'by default'; you have to know how to set this up.

And YouView don't exactly make this 17th-floor easy :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • removed2removed2 Member Posts: 4
    edited 28 July 2014, 8:50PM
    Roy1 said:

has some protective circuits, but they seem to be more concerned with the speakers than anything coming over HDMI.

Can you cycle the YouView box while watching the Panny closely to see if a message flashes up, however briefly?

Hi Roy,
    thanks for the reply.
    The booting sequence of the TT YV box causes the Panny to die! I didn't see a message and don't want to try it until Mrs not watching!
    nothing can be selected on the Panny as it's dead! No power/standby or display of any sort.
    Don't want to try factory reset as I've juts got it doing what I want and sounding how I want with viera links and levels of the different speakers etc.
    Will post more info but to me it looks like the TT YV box is sending something to the panny it doesn't like.
    I have a HDMI and digital (fibre) going to it, But chatting to expert today says I don't need both so may remove one.
    cheers
    R
  • Richard ListerRichard Lister Member Posts: 29
    edited 12 April 2015, 7:07PM
    Roy1 said:

I'm writing on another user account as I need to switch to this one as I can't change email address as I have 2!
    Roy1 said:

Hi Roy,
    had to power off the YV again tonight - it's always when we go to on demand and it just freezes. Powered down the Panny AV into standby mode then watched as the YV box powered up. During it's power up the panny dies - no power to it at all. Last time it came back after 30 mins. it's defo the YV box sending something down a wire the somehow blows the panny AV receiver. All the hdmi's go through the AV box. any thoughts?
    Richard
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    Roy1 said:

Little comfort from here, I'm afraid. We've had a couple of reports of the malign influence of YouView boxes where connecting one causes every other TV in the house to lose its signal, but not of one shutting down AV equipment.

The 'TV killer' is explicable, just, if the YouView box is kicking something back up its aerial connection that causes the user's loft distribution amp to shut down. But no-one with this problem description has ever reported back when I have asked them to do some tests, so we don't know what causes it, or even if it's real. I guess if I reported this, and then found it was me after all, I might just tiptoe away instead of admitting it... :-)

But yours, we have the problem isolated, and cold.

I guess you have disconnected the digital cable, and are now running only on HDMI?

And if the HDMI is disconnected from the amp, you can power up the YouView box while the amp is running without affecting the amp in any way? (This might sound a silly test, but it is good to eliminate RF and mains-borne effects - there must be a good reason Samsung gave me a chunky ferrite brick with firm instructions to use it on the mains cable into my subwoofer and in particular to wrap it round it twice).

It might be worth trying to find a forum, like AV Forum maybe, where your amp gets discussed, and see if anyone else has seen anything like this. Or ask TT - best on their YouView forum rather than the phone help line perhaps - what they think.

But it may be that the time has come to note down all your settings and reset the Panny, despite your understandable reluctance to do so. Might help, might not, but it is what everyone else is going to ask you to do, unless you encounter someone who knows about this exact problem and has a magic, non-reset fix they can describe :-(
    Roy1 said:

Hi Roy,
    thanks for your post and understanding, it's appreciated. I'll put a little time aside this weekend to remove individual cables and power off and on the YV box - trouble is the panny needs 20 mins before it's ok. Might also try to totally power off the panny before powering off and on the YV - give it 5, then power on the panny AV and see if it's a spike that causes it or it stays down the cable iykwim?
    I'll report back if you are remotely interested.
    cheers again,
    Richard