Would you recommend Youview now (as a retail purchase - 14th August 2014)

NoodlesNoodles Member Posts: 2
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
I'm looking to replace an ageing Humax PVR-9200T & am trying to decide between the new Youview enabled DTR-T2000 or the 'Freeview only' HDR-T2000. I've followed progress of The Youview platform with interest since it was launched as I like the concept but have been put off purchasing any of the boxes due to generally poor feedback from users on forums like this one and others. So my question is has the Youview platform improved overtime to now be good enough that you'd recommend investing in it (as a ~£200 retail purchase rather than as an ISP add on) or should I save my money and stick with the ~£40 cheaper Freeview only box instead? I'm especially interested in opinions on how stable the platform is now (box crashes/lock ups etc) and how reliable it is (missed recordings etc). I appreciate the answer to questions like these vary over time (mostly based on the current firmware release etc) so I am interested in any views based on the current experience (Aug 2014) - especially from anyone with the new DTR-2000 box :-). My thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,658 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    There's no special reason any Humax PVR's reliability should be different from any other that they make, though you might find it interesting that both boxes now have an external power supply, blown capacitors in the internal ones being something of a Humax Achilles' heel, quite apart from the internal PS being the main source of heat, a failure vector with these PVRs.

The YouView software is pretty settled now, when the box it is on works properly.

So it depends what's important to you. YouView has all the catchup players, the HDR only the BBC 1. That would make my mind up straight away.

The HDR has DLNA media streaming, and playback from USB media, the lack of which on the YouView box is much bemoaned. That would make some other peoples' minds up straightaway.

For both the above pros and cons, it might matter more if your TV can't do these things either, less if it can.

There's no saving off of recordings from YouView, not even for backup; can the HDR do this? Worth checking.

No Favourite Channels lists either, though there are some rather useless filters. But it sounds like the HDR might be the same in this wise.

You can't use a Humax wifi dongle on the YouView box. But you can get a £15 DLINK device from Amazon that will do much the same job, so that's no biggie.

Do you care about Netflix and such? Not on the YouView box, though new things are always 'coming soon'. Depends if you want jam tomorrow, or bread and butter today.

Best make a list of what's important to you, feature wise, and do a side by side comparison of the features of the two machines on that.

Can't answer for the HDR, but we can certainly clarify whether the YouView box can or can't do any particular thing you ask about.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Noodles - in a nutshell Roy has hit the nail on the head as it really does primarily boil down to comparing a list of features of the devices with the features you want/expect to use. The consolidated list of improvements and feature requests may help you in forming a picture of the features a YouView box does not currently poses.

That said were I looking to replace an old PVR such as a Humax 9200T (or a 9300T which I still have) then assuming it was running fine I would potentially also wait a little while to see developments over the next few months as follows:
    • what answers and information might come out of the upcoming/promised Q&A session (as you will see I previously posed a set of 16 questions there as a suggestion of some things YouView could address and I've also provide a handful of other ones to YouView that could be of interest)
    • what the next one or two software updates deliver and see that they do indeed deliver the long await connected red button and perhaps some other features too
    • what additional on demand players appear in the near future given there are suggestions/rumours that more may actually arrive 'soon' now
    In terms of the hardware the Humax T2110 is definitely a significant improvement over the Humax T1000 consuming less power and being much more responsive. Whether the T2000 is basically a similar system in a different case seems unclear at this stage, assuming it is then I would suggest it is the best (only really) pure retail option. The T2110 seems very reliable (i.e. no crashes or hangs in general) although there are some bugs that primarily affect internet channel recording (and hence mainly affect BT customers who are actually using the T2100 box) although the update (rolling out for T1000 BT boxes) expected soon for T2100 boxes is presumably aimed at fixing this. I do not generally suffer from unexplained missed recordings on the YouView box and only occasionally suffer very minimal clipping of recordings (e.g. missing the first or last few seconds) although if you read up on some other topics some people have had poorer experiences with such issues.

If I were looking to go the ISP route then I would want to avoid the slower poorer performing TalkTalk box. At the moment that would thus mean going with BT and the Humax T2100 (the same as the BT retail T2110) box. Plusnet were supposedly conducting a 3 month YouView trial at the start of the year but there is still no sign of a YouView service from them. Perhaps they are waiting for the next major update and will come to the market by say October or perhaps they just had a major calendar malfunction when they suggested a 3 month trial and really did not intend to make a quick release after that period.

Of course if I were using a fairly old PVR such as a Humax 9200T as my main PVR and was now looking to replace it then I would be looking beyond YouView to see what alternatives they present and how that matches up to what I most want from a box/service which broadly brings me back to my first point that it will boil down to comparing the features on offer as well as any added value additional content any service may give.

For me the thing I most miss from the Humax 9300T is the favourites channel list (although it had to be set up each time you did a retune and you had to manually retune to pick up extra channels or channel changes) as I would still very much prefer to be able to view a list of channels in the order that suits me and not the order defined for me. The thing I am most pleased to have got away from on the old 9300T is the limit of 25 series link settings. That would occasionally bite me in the past but I would expect it to be a regular issue now as we have gone from recording most of our viewing to recording practically almost all of our viewing over the last few years and hence regularly have more than 25 series recordings set. I must admit that the times I have most used catchup/on-demand services over the last 2 years are when my YouView box has failed at which point I have been using those services via other means, nevertheless easy access via the YouView box to all the main broadcaster on-demand players is nice to have. The remote recording setting app is also a nice YouView feature although not one I really need much since I typically set all the recordings in advance whilst at home, however, when you are away for a couple of weeks and spot some new series starting then it is nice to be able to send a recording request home and find the programme safely recorded on your return.
  • NoodlesNoodles Member Posts: 2
    edited 2 September 2014, 9:44PM
    Thank you both for your detailed comments. I only want my PVR to be a dedicated PVR for both live Freeview content and IP steaming of previously broadcast Freeview content so I'm not worried about any functionality outside of this remit (media player, Netflix, usb support etc). So it sounds like Youview's core PVR functionality is now pretty sound, and its USP of 'all catchup content in one place' is a good one.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 6:40PM
    I only want my PVR to be a dedicated PVR for both live Freeview content and IP steaming of previously broadcast Freeview content

We have had a T1000 box from BT for eighteen months now. We use it for the features that you mention and we are perfectly happy with it. As yet it hasn't missed or shortened any recordings and the streamed catchup funcion works better than our Virgin Media box did. It was a bit dodgy at first, but it has been fine since I replaced the Powerline adaptors with a wired connection to the router via a network switch.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 6 March 2017, 6:40PM
    I would never recommend buying any Humax again (after a series of problems with different recent boxes, both personally and reported here) without going through Richer Sounds to get their 5 year warranty. Otherwise reckon on it working for the two years guarantee period Humax let you register for.  Whether the new models are any improvement in reliability terms over the earlier T1000 based boxes, I rather doubt and would not want to be the guinea pig for them.

You might think about getting a cheap Huawei from Ebay for around £50 to see if you like the system/environment as all the recorders have the same "look and feel".  The only difference is that the firmware does not allow the hard drive to be upgraded.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM
    Lbear1 said:

I would never recommend buying any Humax again (after a series of problems with different recent boxes, both personally and reported here) without going through Richer Sounds to get their 5 year warranty. Otherwise reckon on it working for the two years guarantee period Humax let you register for.  Whether the new models are any improvement in reliability terms over the earlier T1000 based boxes, I rather doubt and would not want to be the guinea pig for them.

You might think about getting a cheap Huawei from Ebay for around £50 to see if you like the system/environment as all the recorders have the same "look and feel".  The only difference is that the firmware does not allow the hard drive to be upgraded.

Are the boxes with external power supplies failing Peter? AFAIK the main reason for failure of the early boxes was the capacitors in the power supply going off spec due to overheating and/or quality issues. The problem seems to be exacerbated in some cases by premature fan failure, which of course makes the overheating problem much worse, leading to the rapid demise of the hard drive. An external PSU would indicate a complete re-design of the power supply for the latest boxes. It also means that the main source of heat is now not inside the box, eliminating the need for a fan.