when is youview going to give us an update and catch up with the rest of the world reguarding intern

johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts

Comments

• scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:32AM

I think the question should be 'Since securing £20Million a year funding, What has YouView produced for the £10Million first 6 month's', because all I have seen is slippers, mugs and countless interns messing about and the team having jollies....

Since securing additional funding in March all updates have stopped as if now they have the money they don't need to make any effort to at least pretend they are pushing the platform forward :(

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Well, someone at least is developing for YouView - even if that someone happens to be Sky :-(

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/13594748

I think the hiatus at YouView over development is that after they decided to discontinue working with Deloittes, etc., to get their software developed and to go it alone, they needed to recruit and train up their much-vaunted team of fifty new developers, who are probably still shaking their heads in disbelief at the leaking waterbed that is the YouView software platform. Apart from the interns, that is, who probably don't know any better :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Sorry to be slow, but I don't understand whats meant by "catch up" with the rest of the world regarding internet channels. As even with whats currently on offer YouView is generally regarded amongst the broadcasting industry as pretty ground-breaking.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 10:48AM
    Roy1 said:

Well, someone at least is developing for YouView - even if that someone happens to be Sky :-(

I think the hiatus at YouView over development is that after they decided to discontinue working with Deloittes, etc., to get their software developed and to go it alone, they needed to recruit and train up their much-vaunted team of fifty new developers, who are probably still shaking their heads in disbelief at the leaking waterbed that is the YouView software platform. Apart from the interns, that is, who probably don't know any better :-)

Seeing as they are recruiting someone with expertise in Actionscript 3 and Stagecraft looks like we are sticking with adobe UI.
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Visionman said:

Sorry to be slow, but I don't understand whats meant by "catch up" with the rest of the world regarding internet channels. As even with whats currently on offer YouView is generally regarded amongst the broadcasting industry as pretty ground-breaking.

Watching those funny data channels up around 220, which devices that meet the latest Freeview HD standards must support, but which YouView boxes don't?

I had no idea they were worldwide though; I thought they only applied in GB, and possibly even then not in Scotland after Thursday.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited 25 January 2017, 12:56PM
    I'm just fed up with new channels coming on line only to be told your box is not compatible, perhaps I was a bit extravagant with the rest of the world. lol.   
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:05PM
    Visionman said:

Ah yes, the old MHEG-IC protocol. Well said and point taken Roy, but neither the broadcasters or YouView believe its a technology thats future-proof, and they are right as well.

As an aside, they are still arguing about the Freeview Connect protocols for smart TV's. Arqiva want the broadcasters to use the above MHEG-IC, but they don't. They want to use HTML5, conforming to HbbTV 1.5, which will then morph into HbbTV 2.0. And YouView will do so also, eventually, starting with the new BBC iPlayer and Connected Red Button services. A convergence of different platform technologies perhaps? If it did happen it would certainly benefit both the industry and the consumer. Interesting times...
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    @johnnyshank - you are not alone, it is very frustrating when ostensibly new channels appear in the EPG, only to discover that "your equipment is not compatible."  :(
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Visionman said:

In the long run, MHEG-IC may indeed not have a future. But as John Maynard Keynes said, 'In the long run, we are all dead', and MHEG-IC is here, now, and YouView should be offering compatibility with it.

This is not, of course, to say that they should be agreeing with Arqiva about what they think the future standard should be.

But YouView need to support what's here now, as well as what's coming down the pike.
  • Andrew GraveAndrew Grave Member Posts: 2
    edited 16 September 2014, 9:24PM

I'm just fed up with new channels coming on line only to be told your box is not compatible, perhaps I was a bit extravagant with the rest of the world. lol.   

They're pretty much low-cost, low-interest channels so I'm not bothered I can't receive them. But I wish YouView would hide them in the same way that it hides the subscription channels for non-subscribers.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 1 December 2016, 8:24AM
    Roy1 said:

Oh dear.
  • welshandywelshandy Member Posts: 5
    edited 19 September 2014, 11:39AM

I wouldn't say they're necessarily low value to be honest. VUTV provides access to Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, CI, History, CNN and the like. The new TV Player channel provides access to Heart TV, Capital TV, France 24 etc.

All nice additions to Freeview for those who don't subscribe to BT and TalkTalk.
    edited 20 March 2015, 4:01PM

yes, but not on Youview no matter who you subscribe to.
    edited 19 September 2014, 1:40PM

I think you're missing my point. Andrew Grave said they were low-cost, low-interest channels. I'm saying that they're not.
    edited 20 March 2015, 4:01PM

doesn't matter what they are with youview you can't watch them. 
    edited 19 September 2014, 2:06PM

Well duh. Thanks for providing some constructive comments there.