new bt youview box and all those adverts?

mike2mike2 Member Posts: 6
edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM in Archived Posts
why can't we just have demand tv without the adverts? I really wish I hadn't bought my box now! what a con!

Comments

• Michael Alan RobertsMichael Alan Roberts Member Posts: 9
    edited 26 September 2014, 6:54AM
    There are no adverts on BTTV or BBC iPlayer. There are adverts on ITV OD, 4OD and Demand 5. This however has nothing to do with BT or YouView!

The content of those players are provided independently and it is the content providers choice to insert advertising. Maybe it is worth registering a complaint with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5?
  • mike2mike2 Member Posts: 6
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Thanks for the reply, but my old bt vision box never had any adverts on any of the channels which I had become used to?
  • Karen BubbleflowerKaren Bubbleflower Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 March 2017, 8:32AM
    we got a new BT YouView box a few months ago and we also now get adverts on ITV player, but didn't on the old BT Vision Box... and it won't let you fast forward through the ads - you have to watch them ... or mute them & play Candy Crush for a minute!!
  • scottscott Member, Super User Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2016, 11:48AM

we got a new BT YouView box a few months ago and we also now get adverts on ITV player, but didn't on the old BT Vision Box... and it won't let you fast forward through the ads - you have to watch them ... or mute them & play Candy Crush for a minute!!

Thats because the old BT Vision box was subscription only so they could remove the adverts BUT as YouView is available Retail (i.e. Without a subscription) they have to have adverts (stipulated by the commercial channels in exchange for access to their catch-up players). That's why anything via the BT Player won't have adverts but the catch-up players (which come via YouView) will have.

Unfortunately that is the commercial model these days (You Tube, apps etc), you can have it for free with adverts or you pay and lose the adverts....
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Agree with scott. BT Vision was/is a subscription model (at £5 a mth) so no catch up TV adverts, or for free via YouView with adverts, as the providers need the revenue stream to be able to provide the content.

It should be that noted users have requested a choice of both pay models on YouView. But the take-up of the pay-for players would be low (as they always are), so its not something thats commercially viable to do. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 10 March 2017, 12:54AM
    Funny how BT don't market the fact that you are now forced to watch the ad's if want to catch up!!!
    mike2 said:

Funny how BT don't market the fact that you are now forced to watch the ad's if want to catch up!!!

Not funny at all really. I don't know any company still in existence that would actively market a negative side of it's product (and every product has negatives)...

I don't see ITV, Ch4, Ch5, etc actively marketing itself as having 'adverts every 15 minutes for your viewing pleasure'

• drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    mike2 said:

I don't really see this as a negative per se. If you cancelled BT Vision with an older BT box, you lost the catch up service. If you cancel BT with YouView, you still get all of the standard services like catch up, and there is more content than there was on the older BT boxes. The companies have to make money somewhere to supply you with the content. No adverts, no catch up.

mike2 said:

drhowells, I totally agree there are far more positives in my eyes moving from BT Vision to BT YouView. I was just trying to point out that obviously BT wouldn't promote adverts. I don't think the adverts are a big issue (it has been fact of life for a long time) but I can see why people coming from not having them on catch-up to having them is a bit irritating...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    mike2 said:

Thanks for the reply, but my old bt vision box never had any adverts on any of the channels which I had become used to?

My old BT Vision box didn't have adverts either - but it wanted me to pay to watch catchup on the commercial channels :-(
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM
    mike2 said:

You get the ads however you watch catchup - TV, PC or tablet/smartphone. It's not just YouView.

You even get them on the live channels.

I'm actually surprised the commercial channels didn't ask YouView to implement a lock so you couldn't skip the ads on recordings. Maybe they did, though, and got told it was a bridge too far.....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 6:21PM
    mike2 said:

My point wasn't aimed at you Scott :) I was referring to the issue as negative as a whole.
    edited 26 September 2014, 6:54AM

There are no adverts on BTTV or BBC iPlayer. There are adverts on ITV OD, 4OD and Demand 5. This however has nothing to do with BT or YouView!

The content of those players are provided independently and it is the content providers choice to insert advertising. Maybe it is worth registering a complaint with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5?

I totally understand that ad's are on all other devices, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are a complete nuisance! I imagine it's only a matter of time before recordings will be locked so we will have to watch the ad's. That's when the box will finally end up in the bin!!!