Cast Screen From Android Phone

Martin10Martin10 Member Posts: 18
edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM in Archived Posts
Cast screen is a function on android phones where you can display what is on your android phone to your tv. You can do this on any android phone running 4.4.2 or above (requirements on chromecast) or by using a 3rd party app to cast your device which I would assume youview would need to create in order to cast the screen.

If the youview box had this ability and good software to be able to decode video fast enough it would mean you could potentially have the ability to stream video and other content from your phone direct to the youview box.

You could for example cast youtube videos or your own content or pretty much what ever is currently displayed on your phone.

Of course this would all be dependent on your wifi connection and the software run on youview to determine if it will work in a practical way - ie without lag of stream

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    And AirPlay for iThingy users. If you are proposing turning the YouView box into a replacement for a £20 Chromecast, the least you can do is also to propose turning it into a replacement for an £80 Apple TV, or at least of its AirPlay functionality, as well.

Just as soon as YouView have fixed all the functionality lacking on the box that can't be replaced by an established £20 cast-catching device.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Martin10Martin10 Member Posts: 18
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Yes - this is what I'm suggesting - Iv just bought a cyclone Micro 4 which can cast from my phone as well as turn my phone into the equivalent of a NAS drive so I can just play any files on my phone so I don't really need this on my youview box as well - I was suggesting it as a usp for youview in order to provide extra functionality for others

Obviously USB support on the youview box would be great but that has been suggested so many times over the last few years - this is kind of an evolution to USB mass storage support - to effectively turn your phone into a NAS drive & have the ability to cast screen
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Should it make tea and toast as well?  image
    edited 2 December 2014, 12:51PM
    No - I dont drink tea and getting crumbs in your box is never a good idea
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Martin10 said:

Yes - this is what I'm suggesting - Iv just bought a cyclone Micro 4 which can cast from my phone as well as turn my phone into the equivalent of a NAS drive so I can just play any files on my phone so I don't really need this on my youview box as well - I was suggesting it as a usp for youview in order to provide extra functionality for others

Obviously USB support on the youview box would be great but that has been suggested so many times over the last few years - this is kind of an evolution to USB mass storage support - to effectively turn your phone into a NAS drive & have the ability to cast screen

I want something that will turn my NAS drive into the equivalent of a phone :-)
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    edited 2 December 2014, 1:56PM
    Martin10 said:

you could probably turn it into an IP phone server and use it for voice over ip lol - anyway I was just thinking of extra features that would be possible without the need for buying extra hardware and cast screen is what I thought of
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:36AM
    Thanks for the post Martin. I've passed this on to our Product and Mobile Team as feedback.