Recording Issues Being Delt With At Head Office - Please List Your Experiences Too

Martin10Martin10 Member Posts: 18
edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM in Archived Posts
I have been in touch with the tech guys at head office today with my problems with recording and they are going to deal with 3 different (but maybe related) problems.

1 - Recording starts but once finished only shows that it has recorded 2mins

2 - Recording starts and completes fully but upon playback will only play about 2mins before jumping to the end of the programme and says playback has ended - however if you go back into recordings and play it again it plays perfectly fine to the end of programme.

3 - Recordings fail due to the epg not updating on other channels. This happens for me when Im on any channel that is on the Challenge TV multiplex (eg sky news). If I leave it on Challenge TV then the epg of any channel on a different multiplex doesnt update so the box doesnt know that the recording should start - Upon changing channels to a different multiplex the epg will update and the programme will start recording (if still on).

Number 1 and 3 maybe linked - for example the recording starts on say BBC1 with you watching it but you switch to challenge and this makes the recording fail only showing 2mins as the epg stops - however in my experience what happens in that case is the recording will never stop as the epg has stopped so the box doesnt know the recording has finished - This may lead to other recordings failing due to point 3 or the fact you already have two recordings running and because one hasnt stopped it cannot start another.

Please comment on these three situations and include what region your box is tuned to and if you are in multiple regions (you will be in multiple regions if for example you have channels starting 800 that are duplicates eg you have chan 1 BBC london and chan 800 BBC Kent)

My box is tuned to London but I also can pick up Kent - This maybe effecting point 3 if the challenge multiplex is being picked up from kent but all other multiplexes are being picked up from london

Comments

• SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Hi Martin - Thanks for the post. We currently have an on-going thread for points 1 and 2 where we have been consolidating information from customers up to now.

I'm keeping track of all the threads people mention these issues on and will update them all when I have some more information. In the meantime, while our tech teams continue their investigation into the root cause of the issue, if anyone else is experiencing the issues Martin mentions, please let us know. 

The third issue we do not have a independent thread for, so if anyone else is experiencing this issue, feel free to comment below. 
  • ScousePattoScousePatto Member Posts: 2
    edited 3 December 2014, 8:24PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Martin - Thanks for the post. We currently have an on-going thread for points 1 and 2 where we have been consolidating information from customers up to now.

I'm keeping track of all the threads people mention these issues on and will update them all when I have some more information. In the meantime, while our tech teams continue their investigation into the root cause of the issue, if anyone else is experiencing the issues Martin mentions, please let us know. 

The third issue we do not have a independent thread for, so if anyone else is experiencing this issue, feel free to comment below. 

Experienced all of these issues on the previous box, had it replaced today, new box, it updated itself (with the faulty code) and it is that same as the previous box, only records two minutes... doesn't play back, skips to the end.. etc... etc..   The new update that everyone is downloading recently is faulty / dodgy code, the boxes when using this code are totally unusable.  This needs sorting as soon as, my other half wants the box refunded and to go with Virgin Media....  it's very frustrating!  Thanks.
  • Martin10Martin10 Member Posts: 18
    edited 3 December 2014, 8:44PM
    Sanj said:

I may of fixed number 3 - are you in the London area - for me the London transmitter from where I am isn't fully transmitting epg data - I am in an area where I can pick up multiple transmitters so although London is my closest transmitter I retuned and selected Kent instead - although this transmitter is further away it's more stable & seems to of solved epg problem with it updating whilst on certain multiplex

The 2 min recording problem is definitely a software issue because as you said - it only started with the oct/nov update which included Netflix
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Martin,

I have dropped you an email to query this a bit further.

Thanks,

Phil
    edited 4 December 2014, 7:01PM
    Sanj said:

I have replied to your email
    edited 4 December 2014, 11:10PM
    Sanj said:

I have managed to capture the 2min Bug during live pausing a programme & it skips back to live tv after less than 2mins - I have emailed you the vid
    edited 4 December 2014, 11:52PM
    I have now managed to capture both the two min bug playing back something you have live paused and also pre recorded - This is the issue in point 2

I have emailed both videos to Phil & Sanj so we can discuss them
    edited 5 December 2014, 3:28PM
    Just to clarify issue 2 some more

This 2min Bug when playing back a recording & it skips to the end saying playback has finished & you have to go back into the recording & play it again can happen at any time.

Its totally random & can effect any recording at any time - even at different points along the time line you play it back.

For example -

1 - you may play a recording from the beginning & it cuts out after 2mins & you have to start playing it again

2 - you play a recording which plays back totally fine - you stop it half way through to go do something or watch something else - Later in the day you decide to resume the recording from where you have left off & after two mins it jumps to the end of the recording & you have to go back into recordings and seek to where you were

With the second example if I hadn't of stopped the playback & then resumed the playback at a later time the recording would never of cut out the 1st time & I could of watched the programme in one go without problems

This means this bug is totally random - the only thing in common is it will happen within the first 2mins of playing a recording but it doesn't matter where the recording is started from & it could hit any programme even though it successfully played back the first time - stopping it & then resuming could make the bug show.

As there is no pattern it could happen at any time within 2mins you begin any playback from any point in the recording.