Series record

Julie RaynerJulie Rayner Member Posts: 27
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
Recording problems! I am having loads of problems lately on series record. (A) Some programmes record but onky for a few minutes. (B) Some problems record well after the start of the programme (one programme started halfway through last week and the recording went on for over two hiurs for a one hour programme. (C) not all episodes recording (a recent series recorded 6 programmes out of 16) (D) programmes not recording and not appearing as failec on the menu (two programmes today and several last week just aren't there). I did the internet reset on the box but still problems. I have the latest software and this is a replacement box so hopefully fairly new. Is thisa software glitch or do I need to get another box? How does that work if I am out of warranty on original box now -the original failed and Humax replaced it. Any advice appreciated thank you!

Comments

• SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Hi Julie - Sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues. (A) is being currently being discussed in another thread at the moment. This is something that we are aware of and are working extremely hard to fix. In some circumstances the whole programme has been recorded and a 2nd attempt to play the recording will work. It's worthwhile checking if you can do this. You should be able to tell by the length of the programme. In other cases only 2-3 mins have been recorded. 

For (B) it would be great if you could provide me with an example so we can look into this for you. If you could let us know:
    • Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time
    • When the recording started, when the recording ended
    (C) and (D) sound like one in the same. Of the recordings that didn't record in your series link, they didn't appear in MyView as failed or recorded. Can you give me an example of a series that is affected?

Thanks in advance. 
  • StevieboyStevieboy Member Posts: 51
    edited 2 December 2014, 2:39PM
    Sanj said:

Hi Julie - Sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues. (A) is being currently being discussed in another thread at the moment. This is something that we are aware of and are working extremely hard to fix. In some circumstances the whole programme has been recorded and a 2nd attempt to play the recording will work. It's worthwhile checking if you can do this. You should be able to tell by the length of the programme. In other cases only 2-3 mins have been recorded. 

For (B) it would be great if you could provide me with an example so we can look into this for you. If you could let us know:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time
    (C) and (D) sound like one in the same. Of the recordings that didn't record in your series link, they didn't appear in MyView as failed or recorded. Can you give me an example of a series that is affected?

Thanks in advance. 
    Sanj, so it's official then? YouView acknowledge there is an issue and you are trying to fix it?
    When i spoke with HUMAX support last week on the phone they said they were not aware of any such issue.
  • Martin10Martin10 Member Posts: 18
    edited 2 December 2014, 2:47PM
    B) sounds like the problem im having with the epg not updating -

When you say it starts recording half way through a programme did you change channels and tus changing of the channels caused the epg to update and the programme to start recording?
    Also did it continue to record over the time it was ment to stop? This also is cause by the epg not updating so the box doesnt know that the programme has ended until again you change channels and the epg updates

Humax probably wouldnt be aware as its not a hardware issue its a software issue so unless youview have been in direct contact and briefed the support staff it would be unlikely they would know
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hi Stevieboy, there is definitely an issue here and one that we are actively investigating and as I said before we are working extremely hard to fix this. 

Thanks for highlighting this I will look into it. 
  • Julie RaynerJulie Rayner Member Posts: 27
    edited 2 December 2014, 8:43PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Thankyou Sanj. The best example I can give is the recent series of the Dr Blake Mysteries on BBC1 every werkday at about 2.15pm. I set the series record last Tuesday evening to start the next day. It did not record until the Thursday and cut off the beginning. On Friday 27th the programme recording started partway through and the recording went on for about 2.5 hours according to the menu. I did the reset at the weekend and reselected series record. The programme did not record either yesterday or today. I have also had problems recording Hawaii 5 0 on CBS Action, The Interior Design Challenge on BBC2 and the New Big Bang Theory on E4 where series recordings have been sporadic.
    edited 2 December 2014, 8:44PM
    Hi Martin,no I have not changed channels while recording.
    edited 2 December 2014, 9:02PM
    Are you in a region with more than 1 transmitter - eg you can choose between London & Kent when you retune - you will know if this is the case as it puts the other regions channels on numbers starting 800 - if this is the case retune & select the other transmitter
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Thanks for the extra info Julie. We're looking into it and will get back to you as soon as we can.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    We all appreciate you explaining this, Sanj - thanks - but can I express both disappointment and concern that such a serious problem, which renders the box all but unusable - not fit for purpose - should be taking SO long to put right. It does not inspire me with confidence. And definitely would be a factor for me were I to buy a second PVR, which I am planning to do in the near future.
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hi Chruchwarden, I fully understand your sentiments here. We're passing on all the information we can to help our tech teams, who are working very hard to resolve this. 
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    As usual, many thanks, Sanj. Let's hope they crack it soon....
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hi Julie - We checked the broadcast data for Dr Blake Mysteries and didn't find anything wrong here. The fact that your box didn't pick up the recording then is unusual. Even more unusual that when it did record on the Thursday it carried on for 2.5 hours. This is something I will be raising to our tech teams. 

Do you know if you had other programmes recording at the same time as Dr Blake at 2.15pm on that Wednesday?
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    @Julie - Following up on this and we just want to check if the 'missed' recordings are still in the scheduled section in MyView. If they are, can you press the 'Info' button on them and see what the 'status' is. You'll find this on the right of the programme description, underneath the programme image.

The status will say something like 'Record Pending'.
    edited 7 December 2014, 8:24PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hello Sanj, interestingly I cancelled the series record and reset it to channel 801. From then on it showed as failed on channel 801 but recorded on channel 1! Most wierd. I checked and it says series recording pending now in the schedule as it looks as if the series is being repeated, so hopefully I will get all the missing episodes now!
    edited 7 December 2014, 8:26PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    On the day it recorded for over 2 hours it missed Hawaii 5 0 which was on at the same time, that didn't show as failed, it just didn't appear. I didn't think anything of it as the box doesn't like recording two channels at once. That is a function I haven't tried since resetting it so hopefully that will have cured it......
    edited 7 December 2014, 8:29PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    If you have channel 801 it means you are in an area with more than 1 transmitter - you can retune your box and select the other transmitter instead to see if your recordings don't fail using the other transmitter - once it has finished retuning it will give you an option to select which transmitter you want to use - eg London or Kent
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    @Julie - Thanks for the reply. If a recording fails for any reason then the YouView box will look for another opportunity to record that episode. It would be interesting if we could see which transmitters are available to you, as Martin mentioned it sounds like you have more than 1 available to you. 

Could you send us your postcode to our community inbox? The email address is [email protected] 

I'd also like to clarify, in the scheduled list, do you have any of the 'missed' episodes (single entry not the series) as 'pending recording'?
    edited 9 December 2014, 10:35PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hi Sanj I have tried recording either of the BBC 1 versions with mixed results, several fails on BBC1 South Yorks and a couple on the other channel which is north east. Interestingly tonight BBC1 is showing as 800 not 801 as it was last week, I have had no notification that channels have updated on my box.

The missing Dr Blake Mysteries are not apearing at all in the recordings list. The series record has switchec itself from the north east transmitter back to South Yorks and is again intermittent. Today's episode has recorded but yesterday's has not. Very frustrating and I think I will have to use the Iplayer if I am desperate to catch up on something as the recordings on the BBC channels do not seem to behave.
    edited 9 December 2014, 10:42PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hi Julie - did you retune your box and select the other transmitter - for example if south Yorkshire is currently on channel 001 retune the box and select North East (or whatever its labeled as) instead - This will put North East to channel 001 and south Yorkshire to 800 - you may get greater reliability doing this
    Also have you tried recording the hd channels instead - so channel 101 in the case of bbc1
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Thanks for those suggestions Martin. 

@Julie - We'd be quite interested in the results you get following Martin's suggestion. 
  • ruth1ruth1 Member Posts: 1
    edited 18 January 2015, 11:01PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Yes we have had problems with some serials too - some work ok and are then filed under 'recordings' for us to view.  Others seem to just not be there but the series are still listed and being recorded - or so we thought - nothing shown as 'failed'.  Taped Murdock tonight on Drama so will see in the morning if that worked.  A Bit Of A Do not working.  Numerous others I think husband has set too.
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hi Ruth - This sounds similar to an issue reported by Gritpype in another thread as well as Julie in this thread here. Gritpype managed to resolve his issue by doing a full factory reset. Although we don't know if that was the option to keep recordings or delete recordings.

You can try a factory reset through the Maintenance Mode menu using the instructions in our FAQ. I'de recommend trying the option that allows you to keep recordings (option 2). 

Julie - If you are reading this, can you let me know if you are still experiencing this issue. 
    edited 20 January 2015, 7:22PM
    Sanj said:

• Programme Name
    • Channel name/number
    • Date / time

Thanks in advance. 
    Hello,haven't experienced any problems lately which makes a nice change but I haven't set up any new series records. I am now using the HD channels on the BBC andthat seemsto work much better.:-)