Scheduled recording only recording 3 mins then stops.

Comments

• John WestcottJohn Westcott Member Posts: 15
    edited 26 April 2017, 11:11AM
    @Roy
    In my experience I have seen problems with disks where they are intermittent. 
    These disks are continuously being written to, to allow the pause live TV to function.
    The sequence of activity on the disk is continuously changing it maybe that under certain circumstances this triggers a disk fault to occur.
    This time around my problems started on 14th Dec and were resolved by the 16th (Touch wood).
    The new software was installed on 27th Nov.
    Last time it occurred was several weeks ago, before the latest software was installed, I did not record when.  It also only lasted for a few days before recovering.
    The significance of it occurring after a few minutes could possibly relate to the size of buffer created before it is written.  I have not seen anyone experiencing a failure later in a recording so it would appear to be related to the beginning of a program.
    I am not arguing that it must be a disk problem, only that the possibility should not be ignored.
  • paulo.fosterpaulo.foster Member Posts: 27
    edited 22 December 2014, 4:07PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

The ongoing investigation for this issue is absolutely top priority for us and I will update when we have more information. If you are still experiencing this problem please continue to post feedback on the affected programmes and your experience so we can feed this back to our test teams.

Thanks,

Phil

I had this problem until I retuned the channels under settings and do far all recordings off all channels have worked fine. Have used bbc,itv, ch4 and 5, e4,. I am from South east area.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM

@Roy
    These disks are continuously being written to, to allow the pause live TV to function.
    The sequence of activity on the disk is continuously changing it maybe that under certain circumstances this triggers a disk fault to occur.
    This time around my problems started on 14th Dec and were resolved by the 16th (Touch wood).
    Last time it occurred was several weeks ago, before the latest software was installed, I did not record when.  It also only lasted for a few days before recovering.
    The significance of it occurring after a few minutes could possibly relate to the size of buffer created before it is written.  I have not seen anyone experiencing a failure later in a recording so it would appear to be related to the beginning of a program.
    I am not arguing that it must be a disk problem, only that the possibility should not be ignored.

Well said. As opposed to those who are arguing that it *must* be a software problem.
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 19 December 2016, 9:55PM

@Roy

Hi all,

Our technical team are investigating this recording problem as a priority. We realise how frustrating it is and thank you for bearing with us. The challenge with isolating the cause is that it occurs intermittently and at different times for a small proportion of viewers.

We are closely monitoring feedback from those viewers who are experiencing the issue so we can eliminate the problem.

In some cases the following steps have helped resolve the issue so we do recommend trying them:

1. If the initial playback of the recording stops after 1-3 minutes, a  subsequent playback of the recording in many cases allows it to play as normal.

2. Some viewers have resolved the issue through retuning the box.

3. Try a Factory Reset- keep recordings via maintenance mode on the box.

As soon as more information is available we will let you know.

Phil
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi all,

Our technical team are investigating this recording problem as a priority. We realise how frustrating it is and thank you for bearing with us. The challenge with isolating the cause is that it occurs intermittently and at different times for a small proportion of viewers.

We are closely monitoring feedback from those viewers who are experiencing the issue so we can eliminate the problem.

In some cases the following steps have helped resolve the issue so we do recommend trying them:

1. If the initial playback of the recording stops after 1-3 minutes, a  subsequent playback of the recording in many cases allows it to play as normal.

Phil
  • Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes Member Posts: 5
    edited 22 December 2014, 7:07PM
    Phil8 said:

Hi all,

Phil

Thank you for the response. I have tried the reset without losing programmes and will see what the outcome is.

Hi Phil

Which of the reset options do you recommend 1, 2 or 4

Hi Phil

1, 2 or 4?? I can only see three!

Pending a further response from Phil which probably won't come before tomorrow at the earliest, the first option is no more than a workaround really. The second is worth trying because it is relatively straightforward and non-destructive. The third option is really best left as a last resort.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:30PM

Hi Phil

I presume John is effectively asking 'which of the maintenance mode options, 1-5, should I use', i.e if I find the suggestions 1 and 2 above are insufficient and wish to brave the third suggestion of the maintenance mode then which of the following maintenance mode options should I try and in what order:
    1. Software Reset
    2. Factory Reset, keep recordings
    3. Factory Reset, delete recordings
    4. Internet / USB recovery, keep recordings
    5. Internet / USB recovery, delete recordings
    I would generally recommend trying option 4 first, then option 2 (since both will lose your settings but keep your recordings). If that does not work and you are prepared to lose all your existing recordings (as well as all your settings that you will lose with options 4 and 2) then I would try option 5 and then option 3. If that does not work I would go to option 1 although without much hope of it working.

Needless to say if one does try any of options 5, 3 and 1 and they do not work then you are then left cursing (even more than you were before) as now you have an unreliable box/service, have spent lots of time trying to make it work without success, and do not even have all the recordings you may have built up (and sadly there is no backup/restore export/import functionality available to alleviate this) :(

Hi Phil

Ah, my bad, I misread the question, sorry!  Smiley

Hi Phil

Fortunately (as we know) the forum is a collaborative effort that aims to ultimately deliver refined/distilled useful and accurate information and assistance rather than being an exam conditions test where it is every person for themselves and a misread question or response can result in dropped marks ;-)
  • Alex BestAlex Best Member Posts: 3
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Our youview box has recently presented this problem too. Firstly, occasional 'good' recordings stop after a couple of minutes' playback, but play fine if we try again. Secondly, and much more annoyingly, a couple of recordings have only partially recorded. The film Cars (BBC1, 21st Dec) stopped 1hr 20 in to the 1hr 50 film, then Cinderella (BBC1, 22nd Dec) stopped recording after only 1 minute. This is obviously very disappointing to have missed out on these family films ahead of the Christmas period. We hope this can be sorted ASAP so we do t miss out on any other recordings.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

@Roy

I think the 'disc fault' theory would have certain amount of difficulty with the sudden onset of this problem, for the majority of people seeing it at least, after the recent software release. And an awful amount of difficulty with the 'fails FTT, but then plays OK' observations.

The further difficulty with the failed buffer theory as a disc issue is that three minutes does generally get written.

However, I think that a failed buffer theory certainly does have legs as a software issue, where the software thinks it is replenishing the buffer, and hence keeps running for the duration of the programme, but it isn't actually doing so in any way the disc can see; and so the perfectly healthy disc, quite correctly in this case, waits in vain for the next tranche of data, which never comes.

The three minute replay of a programme which is actually all there would then be the reverse of this; though quite why it would fail once and then work thereafter is a difficulty.

Though is this the case? Does such a recording always work subsequently, or is it a crapshoot if it plays 3 minute or the whole thing on further retries?
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one

Hi Phil

I'm intrigued by you suggesting 2 if 4 does not work. I have always assumed that 4 is 2 plus a complete refetch of the software from the Internet, and so is the more extensive option.

Though I suppose a subsequent 2 might help by jiggling the software you just refetched.....
    Alex Best said:

Our youview box has recently presented this problem too. Firstly, occasional 'good' recordings stop after a couple of minutes' playback, but play fine if we try again. Secondly, and much more annoyingly, a couple of recordings have only partially recorded. The film Cars (BBC1, 21st Dec) stopped 1hr 20 in to the 1hr 50 film, then Cinderella (BBC1, 22nd Dec) stopped recording after only 1 minute. This is obviously very disappointing to have missed out on these family films ahead of the Christmas period. We hope this can be sorted ASAP so we do t miss out on any other recordings.

Alex, when you get a 'good' recording that stops after three minutes but plays OK a second time, do you happen to know, or can you try if you have or get such a recording, what happens on a third, fourth or subsequent play? Are these always complete, or do some give the three minute issue again?

Hi Phil

Generally I would expect very little difference in most situations between the maintenance modes 2 and 4 (unless the network software fetch in 4 fails or you are in the even rarer case of doing a USB recovery) and similarly between 3 and 5 but consider if you've gone as far as using the maintenance mode it is worth working through them all for completeness but using the least destructive ones first. If I were not worried about losing recordings and just looking for an option that might give the fastest results in most cases then I might leap straight to option 5 (but would certainly not recommend that approach in general given its destructive nature).

Ideally of course one would never need to go into the maintenance mode and things are already quite desperate if you are considering it. The few times I have used it for real it has on occasion appeared to clear an issue but in the medium term the box ultimately went on to die (the underlying issue turning out to be T1000 hardware related in those cases). Fingers crossed I will not be needing such options again although I'm in new territory now with my current box being the longest lasting one I have had the fortune to have :)
  • Jane Frewer2Jane Frewer2 Member Posts: 5
    edited 23 December 2014, 10:49AM

We've been experiencing exactly the same problems. Either we watch a recording and it says it has come to the end of a recording after a couple of minutes, but plays properly if you stop and start it again. Or it only records a minute or so of a programme and that's it. It happened tonight whilst trying to record Strictly Come Dancing Results show, it only recorded a minute of it. And last night it happened with Strictly's show but it played all of it once we stopped it and started it again. It's also happened with Downton Abbey and Apprentice. We've had our YouView box nearly 2 years through BT, but it has only started happening in the last two weeks. Any advice gratefully received, thought I was going mad but clearly it's not just me!

Hi again - just to say I had had no problems for about 3 weeks, and hoped somehow this was fixed for us. But all of a sudden, last night (22nd Dec) we went to watch Not Going Out (BBC1 HD, recorded 5th Dec), and it only played 2 mins, then stopped. We tried again, and it was fine and played the whole programme. We then tried to watch Car SOS (More4, recorded 22nd Dec) and it had only recorded 2 minutes and no more, it cut off after that and did not play the whole programme. We did record Car SOS at the same time as The Wrong Mans (BBC2 HD), the recording of which we started watching a couple of minutes after the programme itself started. So it doesn't seem to like you recording two things and watching one of them at pretty much the same time, though this is not always the case.

Please can I ask any of you who are reading this thread because you have a similar problem, at least to record your interest by clicking the "Me too" button at the top so that YouView get a better idea of how many are experiencing this problem.  That is if you don't actually add your experience to the blog.  You will need to register with the site before your "Me Too" request is accepted.

In an earlier posting an "official rep" referred to the problem affecting  "a small proportion of viewers." I am wondering whether this is the tip of the iceberg.

I know that when I first experienced the problem I took actions based on what was said but did not record the failure I had experienced.

You may have problems with signing on to this site if you are using the Firefox browser.

• Lindsey BartonLindsey Barton Member Posts: 2
    edited 23 December 2014, 7:05PM
    zulu17 said:

There are a few (currently 3 posters) on the BT forum that appear to have reported similar issue 

thread is
    https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/youview-recordings-stopping-after-2-minutes/td-p/1404053

Mine too plus not gong out on Friday and about six other programs over the oast four days
  • Lindsey BartonLindsey Barton Member Posts: 2
    edited 23 December 2014, 7:06PM
    Heather2 said:

We have the same problem. Grand Prix Highlights failed after 2 mins yesterday on BBC 1 HD (series recording) 10.30pm. Also Animal Cops on Animal Planet failed today (again 2 mins recorded). We have a Humax Youview Box DTRT1000

All other programs are taping but then when you open up they go to the last 3 mins or less then you have to start them again
  • Alex BestAlex Best Member Posts: 3
    edited 23 December 2014, 8:31PM
    Alex Best said:

I'm afraid I've no idea. After they have played successfully on the second attempt, we've not tried again and actually deleted them as it was episodes of things we only wanted to watch once. If it happens again I'll try and remember to check it.
  • DavidSim1DavidSim1 Member Posts: 11
    edited 23 December 2014, 9:58PM
    I'm now sadly joining the party.

The Wrong Mans from BBC2 HD only recorded 3 minutes.
    Vicar of Dibley only recorded three minutes, this time from internet channel Gold.

Trying to rewind live Master chef tonight caused the box to jump back to the start of the programme (it was also being recorded).

Two other recent recordings were OK.
  • craigcraig Member Posts: 5
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    What are you guys doing this has been going on for a month now!!!!
    This keeps happening, been going on for a month now, too many occasions now to mention.
    Come on guys...
    craig said:

This keeps happening, been going on for a month now, too many occasions now to mention.
    Come on guys...

Phil from YouView did comment yesterday, perhaps you missed that?
    edited 23 December 2014, 10:43PM
    craig said:

Come on guys...

My boy will now not be watching The Snownan this Christmas...
    edited 23 December 2014, 10:44PM
    craig said:

Come on guys...

What did Phil say yesterday....?
    I'll take a look
    edited 23 December 2014, 10:46PM
    craig said:

Come on guys...

Oh yes sorry I did that instruction - total rubbish, didn't work.
    I think Phil is stalling for time...
    edited 23 December 2014, 10:52PM
    craig said:

Come on guys...

Sorry, thank you redchiz
    craig said:

Come on guys...

No worries.

Please can I ask any of you who are reading this thread because you have a similar problem, at least to record your interest by clicking the "Me too" button at the top so that YouView get a better idea of how many are experiencing this problem.  That is if you don't actually add your experience to the blog.  You will need to register with the site before your "Me Too" request is accepted.

In an earlier posting an "official rep" referred to the problem affecting  "a small proportion of viewers." I am wondering whether this is the tip of the iceberg.

I know that when I first experienced the problem I took actions based on what was said but did not record the failure I had experienced.

You may have problems with signing on to this site if you are using the Firefox browser.

I use Firefox when accessing the YouView Community from any of my laptops, and it works perfectly with the site.

But you do need to allow third party cookies on this and all other GetSat Communities, which Firefox is set to disallow globally by default.

Accordingly, you have to make this site an exception to that general rule.