The back button

13»

Comments

• bradavonbradavon Member Posts: 93
    edited 31 March 2015, 1:14PM

Two years and there's no "Previous channel" functionality?! how hard it is to create this feature?!

Everyone else manages it, despite the same difficulties. It's considered a very low priority.
    edited 31 March 2015, 1:15PM
    Steve19 said:

What's happening with this function. I just got my box and it's the first thing I noticed different from my old system. A major step backwards in my view.

Copy and Paste ;-).
  • Steve19Steve19 Member Posts: 9
    edited 31 March 2015, 1:44PM
    Steve19 said:

What's happening with this function. I just got my box and it's the first thing I noticed different from my old system. A major step backwards in my view.

. . . is anyone listening though?? . . I like the Pre-Ch or Back function because I can't abide Ads and switch to BBC News in the break.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Steve19 said:

Just punch in the channel number? And citing avoidance of advertising as a reason for change is unlikely to endear your suggestion to the powers that be!
    edited 31 March 2015, 1:52PM
    Steve19 said:

In my experience low priority development issues rarely to never get addressed. It'll be way down their list to fix.
    edited 31 March 2015, 1:54PM
    Steve19 said:

Punching in the channel number isn't a solution! It's a workaround.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Steve19 said:

It is indeed a workaround, as I had hoped my question mark would have intimated. Smiley
  • Chris Hughes2Chris Hughes2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 31 March 2015, 7:44PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi. We agree that this would be useful and we have looked at implementing it, but to do it properly we need to integrate the feature with the MHEG red button system that is provided by device manufacturers like Humax, because broadcasters such as BBC expect to be able to use the back button at certain times when watching a TV channel. It's in our backlog and hopefully it won't take too long, but we can't give you a date right now.

For heavens sake customers have been asking for this for years! Pull your fingers out!
  • Geoff HawkesfordGeoff Hawkesford Member Posts: 4
    edited 18 April 2015, 7:00PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi. We agree that this would be useful and we have looked at implementing it, but to do it properly we need to integrate the feature with the MHEG red button system that is provided by device manufacturers like Humax, because broadcasters such as BBC expect to be able to use the back button at certain times when watching a TV channel. It's in our backlog and hopefully it won't take too long, but we can't give you a date right now.

Agreed it's a good idea. I have Humax & Huawei boxes , both remotes would benefit from this.
  • Rev RevRev Rev Member Posts: 2
    edited 5 July 2015, 1:06PM
    Steve19 said:

you view? if you cannot after years of discussing the back channel function and getting nowhere, could I suggest you employe the services of a recruitment head Hunter as the people who have cracked this work for your competition!

my remote has 48 buttons on it all anyone is asking is that you choose one for this function and then let us all know.

Youview's unbelievable slow response to this issue doesn't really show itself as a cutting edge technology provider.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,280 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Steve19 said:

Rev Rev (are you very religious, or just watching the F1 Grand Prix?) - why single out just this issue?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Rev RevRev Rev Member Posts: 2
    edited 5 July 2015, 4:36PM
    Steve19 said:

Hi Roy, I singled this back button issue out because in this thread it appears to have been an issue youview have been made aware of three years ago and it is still yet to be remedied.

I found this thread whilst looking online for a back channel function shortcut for youview.

Rev rev, bikes more than cars but well done to Hamilton's for his win on a typical British summers day

ATB Rev
  • Chris Hughes2Chris Hughes2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 5 July 2015, 4:55PM
    Don't bother. I even emailed the CEO but was just fobbed off. They just don't care.
    Steve19 said:

Ah, I see. You will find, alas, that this is just one of over a hundred issues that have been raised for enhancements; a number have been addressed, but by no means the majority of what is very largely a list of entirely sensible and reasonable requests.

https://community.youview.com/youview...

People seem to be peeling off from YouView though, not because of the size of the list or the number of items, but on a single issue basis when there is something they just can't live with, like the lack of padding, or of stretchyvision.

Or as here, the lack of a back button? Though the problem, as YouView express it, is not so much of choosing a button, but of knowing where they have come from, so they can go back there; unlike a web page, a YouView box is not stateless, and unlike a TV, it has a whole plethora of places it could have come from, rather than just an earlier-watched channel :-(

Nevertheless, it is devoutly to be hoped that providers of FreeView Play boxes are even now working steadily through Keith's list(s), giving themselves point after point of advantage over YouView :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 6 July 2015, 9:49AM
    Steve19 said:

Roy, I agree that the lack of a "Back" button to previous channel is very useful and available on many other systems.  You say "it has a whole plethora of places it could have come from, rather than just an earlier-watched channel", and yes this is so that the Back button has many uses in YouView; but as it is, the "Back" button is IGNORED in the context when a previous channel is normally desirable - that is when you are watching a channel and not in any YouView method where "Back" has another valid use.  So as a professional programmer myself, I know that the implementation should be quite simple in this case where the "Back" button has nothing else to do, other than select the previous channel.
    I hope that YouView will respond to this and other issues because in my opinion it has more going for it than against.
    Steve19 said:

Quite; but as a professional programmer myself, I have learned not to have high expectations of the code written by other, and even not to try to extrapolate myself into the middle of even good stuff.

Though there is no truth in the rumours that the space probe currently about to do a flyby of Pluto was actually a Mir replenishment mission programmed at YouView Towers :-)
    edited 6 July 2015, 3:31PM
    Steve19 said:

Know what you mean but I would be worried if they didn't have a programmer who could sort something out for this in less than half a day, it would be worth it just to stop this thread.
    It's definitely not rocket science.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    Steve19 said:

You are making the mistake that is all too common on this forum, Geoff. Applying common sense and logic to the situation. A cursory glance at the history of posts on this forum demonstrates only too clearly that that sort of thinking does not apply as far as YouView is concerned.
  • User279803User279803 Member Posts: 1
    edited 3 March 2016, 11:42PM
    Piers2 said:

"It won't take too long"... er, that was 3 years ago!
    Piers2 said:

There's a long procrastination stage to be gone through first, but YouView haven't got around to that yet :-)
    Piers said:
    Not long now though, I hope.

Might this be easier in HTML5, by any chance?