Add DLNA functionality

Comments

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

I just ordered a Youview box, which has just arrived. Incredibly confused and surprised that it doesn't even include a DLNA client.

Nowadays I would expect a lot of people to be storing their films/music/photos on a DLNA server, so why isn't this simple functionality available through Youview?

It looks like I will be sending the box back and buying a standard PVR. I have far more need to play stuff from my server than I do to have integrated online content.

Fillipino Eck? Raised in Yorkshire, born in . . .
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM

I just ordered a Youview box, which has just arrived. Incredibly confused and surprised that it doesn't even include a DLNA client.

Nowadays I would expect a lot of people to be storing their films/music/photos on a DLNA server, so why isn't this simple functionality available through Youview?

It looks like I will be sending the box back and buying a standard PVR. I have far more need to play stuff from my server than I do to have integrated online content.

Hawaii?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,520 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:39AM

Or Kenya, as the Birthists would have it (think POTUS)

But no, neither. An envelope, perhaps? Another one to think about :-)

Oh, and RF is so the past....
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

A Honolulu envelope?
  • DM1DM1 Member Posts: 8
    edited 2 May 2015, 12:06PM

Seems to me that this one is one that is either actually very difficult or they aren't actually listening to this input.

If it helps to provide a business justification - I have so far purchased 4 older Humax boxes and 1 Youview and would buy another 2 Youviews if they supports DLNA client AND server (the other two would be for a playroom and a bedroom).

I would love to have DLNA added to the youview box, but i don't see it happening.

Nope. Try pushing the envelope a fair bit West of there... :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Seems to me that this one is one that is either actually very difficult or they aren't actually listening to this input.

If it helps to provide a business justification - I have so far purchased 4 older Humax boxes and 1 Youview and would buy another 2 Youviews if they supports DLNA client AND server (the other two would be for a playroom and a bedroom).

It would be useful, even if the functionality was limited to recordings made on that machine.

Must be a Tokyo envelope.

I give in now. I don't want to offend the elephant in the room by pushing the envelope too far!

Filipino? It's a Manila envelope :-)

Yes. I thought that you would realise that I knew what you meant when I mentioned Pacific capital cities other than Manila. Me being silly I know, but never mind.
  • Timothy StoneTimothy Stone Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I could not agree more with regards to adding DLNA functionality, it would move the platform to another level and make it an indispensable part of my home set up. I love the Youview box I have through TalkTalk but would swap it for another similar pvr at the end of my contract if it had DLNA functionality. Multi Room would be the next step - surely none of this is difficult in this day and age - is it a content rights issue?

I knew you knew :-)

And a healthy dose of silliness leavens the lump, with all the seriousness going on at present :-)

I could not agree more with regards to adding DLNA functionality, it would move the platform to another level and make it an indispensable part of my home set up. I love the Youview box I have through TalkTalk but would swap it for another similar pvr at the end of my contract if it had DLNA functionality. Multi Room would be the next step - surely none of this is difficult in this day and age - is it a content rights issue?

BT offer Extra Box, where you can have two fully functioning BT TV YouView boxes on one broadband line, given enough bandwidth.

They don't call it Multi Room, as this might create some sort of expectation that you could (say) record on one and replay on the other, or on both simultaneously, and you can't, as they remain entirely separate.

But TalkTalk, for some reason, do not offer an Extra Box option :-(

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/do-you-of...

But you can, as you can on BT, run a 'retail' YouView box alongside a full-ISP-service one if you wish.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

As we know, there are known knowns; there are things you know I know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things you do not know I know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones you don’t know I don’t know.

OK, I give up.....

That's a Rum(sfeld) thing to say....
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

One of my known knowns, I think. Don(ald)'t know really.
  • Timothy StoneTimothy Stone Member Posts: 5
    edited 11 May 2015, 3:02PM

I run two talk talk boxes both work fine I just wish they would talk to each other! The BT solution is not really multiroom unfortunately.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Is anything happening with Youview providing DLNA support for the platform?  It was first mooted over 3 years ago and seemed to be a good bet for inclusion into an earlier software release but nothing has happened since then.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 21 May 2015, 7:27PM
    Nick4 said:

Is anything happening with Youview providing DLNA support for the platform?  It was first mooted over 3 years ago and seemed to be a good bet for inclusion into an earlier software release but nothing has happened since then.

Just sent an email to [email protected] asking when DLNA will be added to the platform :)
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 May 2015, 7:30PM
    Nick4 said:

Plex is coming to TiVo :

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/17/pl...
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Nick4 said:

Thats an American article. Plus the TiVo VM use is a deliberately stripped down version made just for they. But hey ho, you never know. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Nick4 said:

God, you're a nuisance Nick. Now there are two separate ways they are going to have to ignore you, email by email.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2017, 11:31AM
    Apparently the PS4 is getting/ has got a media player:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/15/ps...

Great if Youview could do an all round media player

Edit - here's a more in depth article about what the media player is capable of :
    http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/...
    Joe2 said:

Edit - here's a more in depth article about what the media player is capable of :

YouView development proceeds at a rate of 'nots' :-(
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:23PM
    Joe2 said:

Please can everyone stop asking for DLNA it is not going to happen, just go a buy a NowTV, Roku box, Apple TV, amazon fire TV, Google chromecast.
    Joe2 said:

And how many of those do DLNA?
  • John WebbJohn Webb Member Posts: 83
    edited 16 June 2015, 4:16PM
    Joe2 said:

This topic has appeared in various forms since the trial. I am sure DNLA was in the original spec. However, if it was going to happen Youview would have said? I would use it if it was there, if only between my two Youview boxes, one from the trial and one from TalkTalk.
  • MattManMattMan Member Posts: 277
    edited 22 June 2016, 4:23PM
    Joe2 said:

Funny that Roy all of them and there's more, I just could not be bothered to look them up on the internet.
    Joe2 said:

From the Core Technical Specification:-

"Additional libraries may be required to support specific presentation engines, uPnP/DLNA and for device setup and configuration. These are not included in this list."

But to use it between your two boxes, each would have to be a DLNA server as well as a DLNA client. That is a prospect which makes 'vanishingly unlikely' look like 'a racing certainty' by comparison :-(