Youview saying low signal and won't tune tho signal to TV working fine.... Help!

Kean AugustKean August Posts: 11Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts

Comments

• RoyRoy Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Touch the standby button on the front of the box for just over 8 seconds. It will soft reboot, preserving all your settings, etc.

Then try retuning, and let us know if this helps or not.
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(
  • Kean AugustKean August Posts: 11Member
    edited 23 June 2015, 5:43PM
    Hi Roy, I tried your suggestion but it did not work. It whizzed through the retuning and found nothing. The same error msg came up as usual. This is odd as only a few days ago it was working perfectly. Thanks in advance for any further potential solutions.
  • joneshjonesh Posts: 1,305Member ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 7:40PM
    How is your aerial wired Kean? Is it daisy-chained from the YouView box to your TV, or do you have a splitter or other signal distributor of some sort?
    It goes from wall to Youview and then from Youview to TV
    Also I have tried new cables in case it was that. Thanks
    edited 21 December 2016, 12:03AM

Is it a new setup, or one that was previously working but has suddenly stopped?
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM

"only a few days ago it was working perfectly"
  • SanjSanj Posts: 1,644Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM

Hi Kean,

It sounds like you have an additional aerial cable going from the YouView box to the TV. Is there any particular reason you use this setup?

The YouView box will receive all the same Freeview channels as the TV, so you could just use the YouView box as your main source of Freeview channels.

Recommendation: Remove the aerial cable from the aerial out port (YouView box) to the TV and just use the aerial cable from your wall to your YouView box. Then try another Re-Tune on the YouView box.

Missed that bit!

Hi Sanj

Can we be clear that this is a one-off recommendation for use in testing in these particular circumstances only?

After all, Kean would not be able to report that his TV channels were fine, despite the problem with his YouView box, if he removed the box-TV cable on a permanent basis.

And nor indeed would he be able to watch TV at all, at present :-(

I always recommend that users buy (if necessary) and use the M-F aerial cable needed to loopthrough to their TV, both for checking purposes, and so they can still watch any other channel of their choice whatsoever, if they are recording two programmes at the same time on the YouView box.

The alternative, and the only possible option on the new small boxes from which the RF Out has been inexcusably removed, is to use an aerial splitter at the wall socket, and take a lead to each device. Which means at least a 3dB insertion loss, and usually nearer 4.3dB in practice.

3dB may not sound like much, but it means the signal strength is halved. Which for a YouView box already needing a stronger signal than a TV anyway, may be a dB (or more) too far.

Personally, I would not give one of these RF Out-less boxes house room.

And I recommend everyone use the loopthrough RF cable from YouView box to TV.

Unless, of course, you have discovered a potential fault you are not telling us about, in the circuitry designed and provided by YouView and its manufacturing partners for precisely the purpose of feeding onward to your TV?

Thanks Roy - I'm not eluding to a particular fault with the YouView box, this is just a specific step for Kean to try, which can either help, or give us more insight into his issue. If it did not work, then the next recommendation would be to reconnect the setup so that he does still have TV and we can continue asking questions and troubleshooting.
  • Derek DolmanDerek Dolman Posts: 21Member
    edited 23 June 2015, 11:26AM

I'm having the same problem, see my posting yesterday "yvm302 problem". Of course, trying a retune is no good when the box is saying there is no signal. I tried that and all it did was delete all my channels. It was not until I temporarily got the signal back that I was able to retune them. It didn't solve the recurrent yvm 302 problem. A call to Humax resulted in the recommendation to reset the box. Unfortunately that means the hard disc is reformatted and I lose all my saved programmes, including a number of films I'd recorded and not watched yet. I suppose I'm going to have to do that but I'm really annoyed because I ditched a three year old Humax 9200T, which I'd had to reset several times, in favour of the You View box because Humax said it would be far more reliable!

Like Jeffrey Archer, they had a gift for inaccurate precis :-)

Assuming they meant a Factory Reset, though, you might first want to try a Maintenance Mode 4, which will at least keep your recordings, even if it loses everything else, which you should make a note of first, Schedules and Settings in particular..

But if this does not work, I suggest you watch your stored films before doing a full Factory Reset, lest this is ineffective too, and causes you frustration.

I find Humax a bit too ready in suggesting people do Factory Resets, but they may do this on the basis that Maintenance Mode resets are not as user-friendly, even if they can be more recording-friendly.

But it does seem that recently the Humax boxes have been coming up with some entanglements that only a full Factory Reset will cure.

And if even this does not work, your box is toast anyway, so you will have been glad you have watched your films.

Hi Sanj, any additional ideas to fix this problem?

Thanks Sanj

You know how easily these little strands of misinformation can otherwise get started :-)

Kean - Did you read my earlier reply?

Sanj - yes I tried that but no progress

Hi Roy, I've tried Maintenance Mode 4 which unfortunately did not fix the problem. What I can't get my head around is why the YouView box does not recognise any signal whilst the TV which is passing through the YouView box is getting a good signal.. I have even checked the roof aerial which looks unscathed.
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Ps to everyone, I have a DR-T1000

It implies that the tuning circuits, or the software that drives them, have become deranged inside the box, and can't see the perfectly good signal for what it is.

When you said it 'whizzed through' the tuning stage I was a bit worried for you; even a tune without an aerial connected (which you might like to try as a last despairing act, followed by a with-aerial tune, by the way) should take a minute or two.

I might express some scepticism that Humax's suggestion of a full Factory Reset will work, but certainly if the operating software has got tangled up with your recordings, this might fix it.

So I suggest you watch your recorded films, and then try their suggestion. And if even this does not work, I fear your box is fritzed :-(

Is there a way to download the shows/films we have recorded? I noticed a USB so thought that perhaps i could save these to a hard drive of some sort.

In common with (I think) all current UK spec PVRs, it is not possible to copy recordings stored on a YouView box hard drive.

AFAIK the only use for the USB socket is to update the software if an internet connection is not available.
    edited 25 June 2015, 8:25AM

Hi Sanj, any further support?

Hi Kean - So far you've already tried soft rebooting, cable checks, using the YouView box in it's simplest setup and re-tunes. Usually we would then look at the environment your YouView box is in to see if the setup or external factors would be affecting you. However you issue isn't the usual weak signal issue because from what we know, the TV picks up the signal fine when looping through the YouView box. Initial thoughts are that this would be some sort of issue with the Aerial In port on the back of the YouView box (as Roy was suggesting).

The things we don't know are, if you have checked for signal interference and planned engineering works to your local transmitter. Steps 2 & 4 on the YVM302 FAQ

Although it is now looking more unlikely this is the cause to your issue, I'd want to be as thorough as possible, if you are looking at the possibility of losing your recordings. 

If it turns out you aren't being influenced by any external factors, then your next best option would be to try the full factory reset as Humax suggest and failing that return the box to your retailer for a replacement. As Jonesh said, it isn't possible to copy your recordings stored on the hard drive, so be sure to watch anything programmes/films you really want to watch before doing any of those steps. 

There's nothing wrong with Kean's Aerial In per se, or his Aerial Out would not function; this is not simply wired direct, but goes via a small active amplifier within the YouView box, the one which needs to be kept alive in High Eco mode by the RF Loopthrough configuration setting.

But there may well be something wrong with the circuitry, firmware or software on the path from the Aerial In through the tuning logic.

Kean says his box 'whizzes through' the tuning stage; this is odd, as even the aerial-out retune I have used in the past when clearing down the tunings in pursuit of the 'black Film 4' issue took a minute or so.

I think it might be instructive if Kean could time an aerial-out retuning attempt, and you could then compare this, Sanj, with the same timing on one of your bench T1000s.

A big discrepancy would point to tuner derangement; though of course we would be no nearer determining if a full factory reset would help here.

Oh, and as a BTW, is there anything more your developers, or Humax's developers, could do to achieve a better separation between code, user configuration, and user recordings, on the hard disc?

If an MM5 reset succeeds where an MM4 reset fails, this rather implies all these things have got intertangled, something it would be desirable to take proactive steps to avoid as far as possible, even in error situations. Separate partitions, perhaps?

"is there anything more your developers, or Humax's developers, could do to achieve a better separation between code, user configuration, and user recordings, on the hard disc?"

I support this request Roy.

I am not as fussed as some are about losing recordings, but it is a pain when it happens.

I appreciate that a PVR HDD is not a suitable place to archive stuff, but I would expect recordings that a machine has made to be safe at least for the life of the machine.

I have very limited experience of working with computers. I know nothing about their inner workings and their operating systems. If I am capable of keeping the OS, data and media files on separate partitions on the HDD of a computer, then surely the YouView or Humax developers could do something similar.

• Derek DolmanDerek Dolman Posts: 21Member
    edited 25 June 2015, 2:56PM

I have been following this thread with some interest as I posted a similar thread a few days ago (see "yvm302 problem") and I seem to have exactly the same situation as Kean. (My box is a DTR-T1010). I've tried the Maintenance Mode reset and it has made no difference. When the box is reporting a yvm302 problem and refusing to tune to a channel, if I then go to through a retune, similarly to Kean my box also whizzes through in about 10 seconds, reports that it hasn't found any channels and has wiped out the existing channels. The next time I restart the box it reports "You View can't show live TV because you haven't tuned your channels." I then have to go through several attempts at restarting until finally on the 4th, 5th or 6th attempt it suddenly recognises the signal, I am able to retune and my channels are restored.  However, this happy situation only lasts for an hour or two until suddenly the signal disappears and the screen comes up with the same old yvm302 message. My next step is a full factory reset although I have no confidence that this will work, and my recordings will have been wiped out, but I suppose I have to go through that before returning the box to the retailer.
  • Andy GregoryAndy Gregory Posts: 4Member
    edited 12 July 2015, 8:20AM
    Same issue here. Tuning whizzes through in 2 seconds (literally) with no channels tuned as the result.
    It's worth noting that I have done a full factory reset but with no change in the above.
    So with no recordings now in the box and no channels tuned it is essentially a brick. Any thoughts YouView?

Hi Kean - Just to let you know, our device management team are looking into this at the moment. What's the current status of your issue?
    edited 14 July 2015, 1:16PM

Ok. No change