Connecting a YouView box to Wifi?

12346»

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:39AM
    Keith1 said:

There are several other topics that include info about connecting the YouView box via wifi:

http://community.youview.com/youview/...

From these the main suggestions that people have confirmed as working are

- TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router
    - Apple Airport Express
    - Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter
    - Netgear WGPS606

Partly out of curiosity I tried the TP Link TL-WR702N (powered from the YouView box USB port) recently and so far it has been fine (although I'm not a particularly heavy on-demand user).

I have no practical experience of this, but from the manual:-

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/docu...

I'd figure you want to connect the WR702N to the YouView box, ethernet and power over USB, but then use a laptop to start the Quick Installation Mode 3.2 on page 11, and then select Client Mode when you get to the screen 3.5, Working Mode, and then work through 3.2.5, where you definitely get the option (and requirement!) to set the TalkTalk router SSID and other parameters. Be sure to carry out all of steps 1-3 under 3.2.5, including the reboot.

After this, hopefully, the YouView box will 'see through' the WR702N to the TalkTalk router, and you will get the On Demand.

The Internet channels are multicast; I'm hoping that the WR702N will handle multicast without further configuration, and that the TalkTalk router will do multicast over wifi (the BT Home Hub certainly won't, but I believe somebody said their TalkTalk router was OK with this).

But first things first, and if you can at least get, say, the BBC iPlayer, we can go from there if the TalkTalk added IP channels still won't behave.

Do let us know how you get on and, if it now works, then AAMOI, what step(s) you omitted originally.

This will help advise the next would-be WR702N user who hits problems.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Julian FullerJulian Fuller Member Posts: 2
    edited 10 September 2015, 5:35PM
    Cicero said:

The TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router is reported to work with the YouView box.

Yes I can confirm that it really does work, with a TalkTalk YouView box.
    I managed to set it up in Client mode by plugging it into my Chromebox (running Chrome OS ) and then navigating through the browser based set-up utility.

The Quick Installation instructions which came in the box (May 2015) were thankfully in English (not Chinese), but in an illegibly small font, and didn't even cover setup in Client mode. They were also aimed at helping Windows/MAC users rather than fans of Chrome OS.

I thought it prudent to track down the full English TP-Link user manual online and downloaded it before starting.  Most of that proved to be an unnecessary distraction. Having powered up the TP-Link from one of my Chromebox's USB ports I searched Wi-fi settings for new networks, and chose the TP-Link one. Dialog boxes start appearing and I basically punched in the default passwords 'admin/admin' to get going. Once the Setup utility appeared in my Chrome browser it was a matter of entering the relevant hardware information for my TalkTalk router and rebooting.

I then unplugged the TP-Link, took it downstairs, plugged it into the YouView's USB port, and joined the two with a LAN cable. On powering up YouView, the TP-Link's green light started glowing steadily. With fingers crossed I selected an 3-day old programme from an obscure channel on the Freeview Guide, and lo and behold within a few seconds i was watching rubbish catch up TV!

I can't comment on how easy it is to set it up the TP-Link in other guises (eg. as an Access Point or a range extender), but if you're reading this then you'll probably be looking for the Client solution.  Anyway it's a brilliant little piece of kit and has worked where the conventional Ethernet/Homeplugs connection was simply not available to me. 
    Cicero said:

The TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router is reported to work with the YouView box.

Good report, Julian!

But for completeness, you also need to make sure you can watch one of the TalkTalk Boost channels when using the wifi link, i.e. that multicast is configured and working.

On a BT box, what you describe above would work, but the BT TV-provided channels wouldn't, even if the router was correctly configured for multicast, as BT Home Hubs decline to put this out over wifi.

But TalkTalk, reportedly, are less restrictive; and you now have the opportunity to establish this for us.
  • Julian FullerJulian Fuller Member Posts: 2
    edited 10 September 2015, 5:35PM
    Cicero said:

May not be able to help much there, Roy, I don't currently subscribe to any boost packages.
    Cicero said:

OK - the jury stays out then, on getting the full Monty :-(

Thanks for how far you took this, though.
  • David HasemoreDavid Hasemore Member Posts: 2
    edited 11 September 2015, 9:51PM
    Cicero said:

Hi I've just managed to hook up a TP Link to my new YV box - the TT router TV light wouldn't flash initially, but after a YV box reboot its fine now. The part I'm struggling with now is getting the smart TV to connect :( Surely that should be the easy bit!!
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM
    Cicero said:

Smart TV to router, I hope, and not to the TP-Link :-)
  • David HasemoreDavid Hasemore Member Posts: 2
    edited 11 September 2015, 10:03PM
    Cicero said:

Yep it's all working fine now, great quality., great little box!
    Someone told me it was possible to stream wirelessly from the UV box to the TV thus doing away with any HDMI leads?!? Can't see how that would work?
    Cicero said:

I think they were talking about using wifi to replace the connection from YouView box to router, rather than box to TV.

Many people regret that there is no built-in capability for this, and you are expected to use a wired Ethernet connection.

But a wifi link is doable for HD, easily for retail users, but with more complications for BT and TT users where multicast is employed.

Whether it is doable for UHD remains to be seen.
  • Alex CollettAlex Collett Member Posts: 10
    edited 24 February 2016, 4:21PM
    Cicero said:

Hello Roy.. I have just bought a youview and wanted to go the WiFi route so John Lewis recommended the Humax Digital W-Lan Dongle which I purchased and has arrived. I have downloaded the software as instructed on my computer and added my router name and password where instructed to get it to 'connect'.. it then gets very complicated with Pins & WPS instructions - I pushed the WPS on my dongle when it said but still no joy when I put it back into the Youview.. my router is EE, I have freeview TV  not broadband linked. the Guy in JL gave me impression it just comes up on menu settings when you put dongle in back and you add your password and off you go.. not in my case unless I am missing a step. any help gratefully received on this otherwise I will need to go down the very long extensions Ethernet cable wired connection (hope there's a 10 m cable out there if so).  Thank you.

Alex C (Ms)

Cicero said:

Well, black mark for John Lewis, alas. The Humax dongle only works with Humax non-YouView PVRs. So take it back for a refund, as you were mis-sold it :-(

You can go wifi, but you will need something like the little LinkSys TP-Link device that connects to the Ethernet port on the YouView box, though it can take its power from the USB socket on the box, so doesn't need a mains connection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR...

10m Ethernet cables are readily available (I keep a 20m one that I can use if any of my devices seem to be playing up over wifi or PLAs) but my wife's patience for this trailing up the stairs is understandably limited, so it is for test only purposes; you may find the same, unless you can conceal the cable run.

PowerLine Adaptors, sometimes called Homeplugs, are a possibility; our bedroom YouView box runs over a pair of these.

But for 'retail' use, like yours, where the Multicast complications of the BT and TT services do not arise, the TP-Link should fill the bill.

I thought maybe John Lewis could supply you one instead of the unsuitable dongle, but they only list the 710 online, which is mains-powered only and therefore much less convenient; don't let them fob you off with this, stick out for USB powered.
    Cicero said:

Huge thanks for your speedy response and saving me spending all day scratching my head into what I'd done wrong to set dongle up! :)

I will look at the option of the TP Link first rather than a very long Ethernet (I can conceal most of cabling but not all)..  so just to double check (sorry I am not hugely techy although better than some of my female friends!) the TP Link device goes into the Ethernet port - what do you mean by the usb socket on the box? do I need another USB device as well? or does the TP Link come with a usb cable which will then go into the usb port under the Ethernet on the youview?  and there's no software for my computer then? its just device to Ethernet? And does this mean I am still using WiFI or am I in fact a wired connection with this way? in the settings on youview there is no option to configure WiFi it only shows wired and then says other connections are not enabled. I know my router name and password of course I just don't feel comfortable trying to battle with WEPs and WPS type questions.. that dongle software was very complicated which is not what the reviews said on Amazon..

will I possibly still 'drop out' if I do the TP link as it will be based on WiFI signal?

One other question if you don't mind. my previous goodmans recorder had a scart linked to my DVD player. this Humax has one scart output. if I connect the scart to recorder and DVD will it recognise it for when I want to play DVD's or do I need to do Scart DVD to TV?  I haven't worked out yet how I can play DVDs since I bought the Humax..

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Alex

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:06PM
    Cicero said:

Roy>
    10m Ethernet cables are readily available (I keep a 20m one that I can use if any of my devices seem to be playing up over wifi or PLAs) but my wife's patience for this trailing up the stairs is understandably limited, so it is for test only purposes; you may find the same, unless you can conceal the cable run.

Roy, you don't trail an ethernet cable up the stairs, you trail it at the bottom of the outside of the bannister using a professional cable tacking kit (99p). Such a set up can be made permanent by tapping the tacks all the way in or temporary by only tapping the tacks half way in (so the cable can be fitted and lifted at will). Plus using this method means no one can even see it, never mind know its there.  
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Cicero said:

But our banisters are white, and the cable is black :-(
    Cicero said:

Hi Alex

The USB socket will be the one you tried the dongle in :-) It will provide the 5 volts to power the TPLink, and yes, you get a cable for the TPLink suitable for this, and a short Ethernet cable that goes from TPLink to YouView box. I hope. If not, you will have to buy one, but they are cheap and readily available. There are usually one or two extra with your router...

So the YouView box thinks it is on an Ethernet cable, but the TPLink actually squirts the data to and from it over wifi.

You may need to plug the TPLink into your computer to set it up, or you might be able to just do this with WPS, if your router supports this. WPS (Wifi Protected Setup) is dead easy if so; either the TPLink will go into searching mode when plugged in, or you push a little button on it to set it WPS searching. Then you go and press the WPS button on your router, which tells it 'Yes, you can talk to the thing that is searching' and the router then sets the Password, DNS and other good stuff on the TPLink for you.

And chooses WEP (boo!) if it has to, or WPA (hooray!) if it can, as security encryption, and off you go.

I can't predict how good your wifi will be - it depends on how far apart the router and the TPLink are, and how many walls between them, and how thick they are. But if a laptop is OK on wifi in the same place, the TPLink will probably be OK also, and things have to be pretty marginal before it would start to drop out.

YouView go banging on about how wifi isn't reliable enough, and there are certainly technical issues for BT and TT users, but mostly, it's just FUD, and YouView hedging their bets.

Hopefully, your new YouView box is connected to your TV with an HDMI cable, which is what is needed to do it justice. So plug the far end of the SCART cable from the DVD player into a/the SCART input on the TV.

It needs no connection with the YouView box, and can't exploit one anyway, and is better separate.

You might then have to switch between the relevant AV inputs on the TV, depending on which you want to watch, but with luck, the TV will be clever enough to do this. Even if it isn't what they call a smart TV :-)
    Cicero said:

Roy>
    But our banisters are white, and the cable is black :-(

Mine are both the former. :)
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:03PM
    Cicero said:

When I realised that PLAs weren't working well with our YouView box, I thought that a cable was out of the question. The room is as far as it could be from the router and there was no obvious route for a cable.

I contacted a chap who normally installs intruder alarms and he came to our house to have a look. He told me to get a 20m network cable and a couple of weeks later he came back.

Therer was some drilling and lifting of carpets. Also some conduit and a piece of plastic pipe to cross a void. Oh, and some dust.

In about an hour and a half the cable was installed out of sight. Apart from the ends, of course.

The job plus the cable cost less than the price of a month's Sky subscription.
    Cicero said:

I installed mine with one drilled hole through one wall using a white 35m ethernet cable from the downstairs to the up for £10 and 99p. That also took around an hour and a half to install. But it was worth it for the extra reliability. I'd do it again as well if needed.
    Cicero said:

Roy this all makes perfect sense and thank you so much for taking the time to explain.. really appreciate it. I'll let you know how I get on (not to bore you just so you know how well your advice has worked! ) :)

• Phillip JonesPhillip Jones Member Posts: 6
    edited 14 September 2015, 5:31PM
    Cicero said:

WiFi is fine for vision boxes unless you are using an out of date router. Please dont use a powerline device. Our neighborhood has had all sorts of issues with these wretched devices.
    Cicero said:

I'm seriously considering action be taken against you. Spamming is not allowed. And nor is WiFi either.
  • Mark DekkerMark Dekker Member Posts: 1
    edited 3 May 2016, 2:15PM
    Cicero said:

Hi Cicero, hope it's OK ask you a question the TP Link TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router ... and connecting it to the YouView Box.
    I don't understand how you would tell the TP Link what the Wifi name  and WiFi password is ... because surely the TP Link would need to know this to enable the YouView box to connect to the internet?
    Cicero said:

WPS - see my posting above somewhere - if your router supports it.

Otherwise, a computer will be able to 'see' the TP-Link on an IP address - possibly 192.168.0.1 - and configure it that way.

It's all in the instructions that come with the device.