Pink Screen after switching on the box

MR D HARPERMR D HARPER Member Posts: 4
edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM in Archived Posts
sometimes when iswitch the box on it is a pink screen ihave to switch of and on again alsois the aerial out on the box can it be used to add an aerial to another tv

Comments

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    For pink screen just try switching your TV off and on again, or away from the av-channel and back. May be HDMI negotiation problems. Let us know.

And for aerial out - yes, but you need to switch on "RF Loop Through" first (in Settings, Device Management)
  • RottyRotty Member Posts: 107
    edited 17 January 2017, 6:15PM
    Oddly enough, I too get this 'pink screen' issue occasionally. It does seem to be an HDMI startup negotiation issue, and is usually (though not always) accompanied by no sound. I tend to switch the YV box back into standby and immediately back on, and the issue seems to resolve.

I generally find HDMI is a PITA ... Both my small Sony Bravia and my Panasonic LED TVs suffer from HDMI interference on UHF channel 45 (666MHz) causing low signal quality ... Requires tortuous routing of cables and the use of clamp-on ferrites to reduce the impact, and even very (stupidly) expensive HDMI cables don't resolve the issue. Never had this problem with good old SCART/RGB :-)
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 17 January 2017, 6:15PM
    If you get the Pink Screen affect again, Yep I get this sometime too, Hit the Guide button or anything else which brings upi an on display graphic, does this make the pink effect go away? It does for me.
  • RottyRotty Member Posts: 107
    edited 26 November 2012, 5:18PM
    SW1 said:

If you get the Pink Screen affect again, Yep I get this sometime too, Hit the Guide button or anything else which brings upi an on display graphic, does this make the pink effect go away? It does for me.

Nope. Just shows a pink guide. Just had it and just tried it ... Only remedy is to stick it into standby and back on again.
  • Keith CalderKeith Calder Member Posts: 1
    edited 4 February 2013, 9:24AM
    Having done some “pink screen” research on the internet this seems to be a common HDMI problem and related to the I2C control interface used by HDMI.

I2C is a cheap, cheerful and slow interface that has been used for years for passing control information around inside TVs.

It is tries and tested so all the problems have been ironed out?

Yes and No. HDMI is using I2C in a different way to pass information between units designed by different people and herein lies the problem. I2C uses an open collector/open drain configuration to allow multiple units onto a single serial bus. This relies on a pull up resistor to pull the signal high after a unit release the bus. The rise time is determined by the pull up resistor and capacitance on the line. When it is used to pass control information between units within a TV the pull up resistor and capacitance can be controlled to ensure the rise times are fast enough to ensure the whole thing works. This can’t be done when I2C goes between different pieces of equipment via HDMI.

With my system I got the pink screen when my Panasonic TV was connected to YouView on HDMI1 and my Sony Hard Disk Recorder on HDMI2. If I removed the HDMI2 connection to the Sony recorder it worked and moving the Sony recorder to HDMI3 it worked as well!. Whether it worked or not was dependent on the interconnection of three pieces of equipment and internally those pull up resistors and capacitances (long cables will exacerbate the problem due to increased capacitance). These things can not be changed by software updates so your problem is here to stay (software updates can just change software and register parameters within the devices not resistor values and capacitances).

As an engineer I have designed an I2C interface and had a problem with slow rise times which only showed up in the lab and not on paper. Adjusting the pull up resistor gave such a low value to get it working the power overhead was unacceptable. I designed it to drive the line high (fast rise time) and immediately after tri-state the line to allow others on to the I2C bus. This solution works but will require a design change in equipment driving HDMI, I am sure it will happen in the end.

For all of us with existing equipment fiddle with your configuration until you can get the best possible result. Also, short HDMI cables are best.

Good luck.
  • Lesley WiltonLesley Wilton Member Posts: 2
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    my tv picture is pink using my you view box but isnt when i just use the tv
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM

my tv picture is pink using my you view box but isnt when i just use the tv

Power off TV at mains. Power off YouView box at mains. Ensure HDMI cable is firmly pushed in at both ends. Ensure HDMI cable is not routed close to any other cable(s) as far as possible. Power TV back on. Power YouView box back on.

If no better, obtain or use an alternate HDMI cable, and try that.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Lee DadgostarLee Dadgostar Member Posts: 1
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Ive recently had this probelm as well. It  is immensly frustrating.  Despite purchasing a new HDMI lead to connect my You View box to my TV this hasn't resolved the issue.  Sometime TV picture but pink haze and no sound.  Sometimes ok and then all of a sudden a black screen and then back on.  Sometime reset via power source and ok (for a while) and then back to screen saying no HDMI input detected.  Can't be the TV  when we can use SmartHub to play catch up TV and also use my son's console to play games with no drama.  Any assistance/advice would be greatly welcomed..  Lee
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:40AM

Ive recently had this probelm as well. It  is immensly frustrating.  Despite purchasing a new HDMI lead to connect my You View box to my TV this hasn't resolved the issue.  Sometime TV picture but pink haze and no sound.  Sometimes ok and then all of a sudden a black screen and then back on.  Sometime reset via power source and ok (for a while) and then back to screen saying no HDMI input detected.  Can't be the TV  when we can use SmartHub to play catch up TV and also use my son's console to play games with no drama.  Any assistance/advice would be greatly welcomed..  Lee

While not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby button/ring on the box itself for just over eight seconds, and let it soft reset.

If this does not fix it, please let us know, and we can suggest more drastic measures, if we know these are needed.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris