How do internet channels work?

Richard ListerRichard Lister Member Posts: 29
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I'm going to record Occupied "live" on Sky Arts on my TalkTalk Youview box having watched the first 2 on sky on demand from Youview (thankyou) . I wondered how internet channels work? Does it stream it (so my house internet takes a hot at that time?)

Comments

• momistmomist Member Posts: 139
    edited 23 February 2017, 11:01PM
    Yes, your broadband will 'take a hit' at that time.  Do you have a limited broadband package, or a slow connection?  If not, then no worries.  If you need to know how much bandwidth the stream will take, it should be the same (I would have thought) as when you were getting it on demand, as that also comes through your broadband.  Why watch it 'live' if it is going to be available on the catch up, or is it that you want to record it and keep the copy?  I'm not sure you can do that . . .
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi, Richard. The TalkTalk Boost channels work like this - On Demand content takes no more than 3.5Mbps. Standard TT Boosts take 5.5Mbps and the Sky channel Boosts take 6.5Mbps. Neither TT nor BT will sign people up for internet TV if their line isn't fast enough so you should be fine. Unless your not??? 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Visionman said:

Hi, Richard. The TalkTalk Boost channels work like this - On Demand content takes no more than 3.5Mbps. Standard TT Boosts take 5.5Mbps and the Sky channel Boosts take 6.5Mbps. Neither TT nor BT will sign people up for internet TV if their line isn't fast enough so you should be fine. Unless your not??? 

Hi VM, don't wish to quibble unduly, but where are you getting those numbers from and what do you mean by "Standard TT" and "Sky channel" Boosts? TalkTalk specify a minimum line speed of 3Mbps for YouView generally and 5Mbps in order to take Boost channels.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:06AM
    Visionman said:

Hi Redchiz,
    The information I've posted is correct. TT always build in 0.5Mbps headroom. 3Mbps is for on demand content only. not live TV.

A "Standard TT" Boost means anything not Sky. Sky Boosts take 1Mbps more than the standard ones and even then are not guaranteed.
    Visionman said:

None the wiser bud, would you care to define, or even better list "Standard" and "Sky" Boosts individually please, this is all news to me.
  • Richard ListerRichard Lister Member Posts: 29
    edited 25 January 2016, 9:53PM
    Visionman said:

Thanks for help, I have 2 teenagers complaining about bandwidth constantly so needed to know what hit I take when recording. I could stream on excellent new sky on demand via TT but that's at a prime time for their use of MY bandwidth, Hope BT get superfast near me soon!

Visionman said:

No. And stop taking the #.
  • Richard ListerRichard Lister Member Posts: 29
    edited 25 January 2016, 9:55PM
    Visionman said:

Be a handy improvement to get internet channels recorded out of hours and left in your recordings?????

Visionman said:

I hope for Richard's sake you were aiming that ignorant response at me and you were just the victim of bad timing?
    Visionman said:

Thanks for help, I have 2 teenagers complaining about bandwidth constantly so needed to know what hit I take when recording. I could stream on excellent new sky on demand via TT but that's at a prime time for their use of MY bandwidth, Hope BT get superfast near me soon!

Your welcome Richard.
    Visionman said:

What Visionman knows about TalkTalk could be measured on the fingers of no hands.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,460 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:40AM
    Visionman said:

But he must have fingers on his hands, redchiz, or he wouldn't be able to handshake his way into the meetings of the secret cabals who hold the unpublished - and unverifiable - information that contradicts the published and public information, such as:-

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/what-mini...

which bears out your posting above, except TalkTalk do say 'over 5', though whether this means 6 or just 5.001 is not recorded :-)

The magic incantation to dispel misinformation, by the way, is the good old Wikipedia 'Citation please'.

This has the merit of working both ways, though if Visionman does come up with a definitive citation, I guess we still have to then ask TalkTalk which is correct, and which is indeed the misinformation?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris