Roku 4 on the horizon : Death knell for YouView's 'App/Player' section?

123457»

Comments

• JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Visionman said:

Nick>
    The reason why I bought a YouView retail box three years ago was for a single, unified STB which provided all the apps, players, catch-up, etc in one place.

That was an very ill advised thing to do. Nick, you have over the years asked for (demanded?) everything, including every app out there, Now TV, Amazon, YouTube, Netflix and the now new kid on the block TED. Plus full functionality of recording and trick-playing them. I mean really ???

@visionman I really appreciate Nicks contributions to this forum. He's contributed some of the most forward thinking ideas presented in an enthusiastic & passionate manner. His posts appreciates the potential of the Youview platform , which I'm sure are read as constructive criticism by Youview staff.

I'd hate to think that because of disparaging remarks by other forum members that his contributions may be lessened.

From time to time some of us may become disillusioned with the slow progress in "some" areas, but we are all here contributing because for better or worse we believe in the Youview platform and its wider potential . I think every one is aware that criticism voiced here is meant to be constructive in what ever form it's presented.

I for one am thankful that we have aspirational members in this forum.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited December 2015
    Visionman said:

Nick>
    The reason why I bought a YouView retail box three years ago was for a single, unified STB which provided all the apps, players, catch-up, etc in one place.

That was an very ill advised thing to do. Nick, you have over the years asked for (demanded?) everything, including every app out there, Now TV, Amazon, YouTube, Netflix and the now new kid on the block TED. Plus full functionality of recording and trick-playing them. I mean really ???

Appreciate that Joe :)
    edited December 2015
    Visionman said:

Nick>

You're very welcome Nick :)
    edited December 2015
    redchiz said:

I think if you are a "pure" Youview retail customer then the device has to stand and fall on its own merits as a Freeview PVR with knobs on, in that respect it seems to me to compete quite well with other direct alternatives, I am not aware of any which deliver the complete solution some crave? If you are a BT or TalkTalk customer with a penchant for added TV content then it becomes even more complelling. Personally, I have long since concluded that the Holy Grail will never be found because of all the competing/vested interests. I find that having added a Roku streaming stick and a Chromecast, both at modest cost, to my setup now gives me the opportunity of access to just about every service out there and I am happy with this arrangement where each device has its strengths to bring to the party.

Can I ask some of the enthusiasts here who bemoan the lack of an all-in-one product, back in the day - or even now - would you have had a hi-fi separates system, or one of those all-singing, all-dancing music centres with the graphic equalisers and the flashing lights? Smiley

@redchiz eetv is a PVR , though I expect that will be gobbled up by BT soon.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    redchiz said:

I think if you are a "pure" Youview retail customer then the device has to stand and fall on its own merits as a Freeview PVR with knobs on, in that respect it seems to me to compete quite well with other direct alternatives, I am not aware of any which deliver the complete solution some crave? If you are a BT or TalkTalk customer with a penchant for added TV content then it becomes even more complelling. Personally, I have long since concluded that the Holy Grail will never be found because of all the competing/vested interests. I find that having added a Roku streaming stick and a Chromecast, both at modest cost, to my setup now gives me the opportunity of access to just about every service out there and I am happy with this arrangement where each device has its strengths to bring to the party.

Can I ask some of the enthusiasts here who bemoan the lack of an all-in-one product, back in the day - or even now - would you have had a hi-fi separates system, or one of those all-singing, all-dancing music centres with the graphic equalisers and the flashing lights? Smiley

I stand corrected. Now if only it also had the ITV Player, All4, UKTV Play, Netflix...  Smiley
    edited March 2017
    Glowing Roku 3 review here. I've not used Roku products so can't verify the review. But the reviewer prefers using the Roku to his BT Youview box. How do users find the Roku? Is it's user experience comparable/better then Youview when it comes to streaming apps?

Roku has all the major players now on board, and a decent universal search feature. Youview tantalisingly promises the same with a decent search feature, but has failed so far to bring all the major Apps/players on board. All the more frustrating as it only needs 2 and half more apps to do this (Amazon, Youtube, Full NowTv), plus Ted Talks app as a sweetener.  

As someone who has stubbornly refused buying extra devices, waiting out of principle, and a loyalty to the Youview ideal, I must confess my resolve is starting to break. Youview has been around for 4 years now, and we still don't have all the major players. We continue to have a pathetic crippled Now tv, and a not quite right "jerky vision" Netflix, without 5.1 surround. I have to ask myself why am I holding out? Is it time I gave up on the principle of having one integrated tv box for all the streaming services?

Youview does a lot brilliantly. All the major UK catch players are there in a nice easy to use interface. Backwards EPG is great. Search is good. BBC continue to innovate on the platform(and cross platform) with their apps and BBC iplayer beta. Theres lots I dig about Youview. But there has been no progress on fixing the "broken apps", or introducing the missing ones to the platform, and for all we know they may never introduce these apps, or fix the ones they already have. I've been waiting year after year with high expectations for Youview, convinced that fixes to apps, and new popular players were just round the corner, but I'm still waiting.

Perhaps It's time to give up on idealism and get a Roku?
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

Glowing Roku 3 review here. I've not used Roku products so can't verify the review. But the reviewer prefers using the Roku to his BT Youview box. How do users find the Roku? Is it's user experience comparable/better then Youview when it comes to streaming apps?

Roku has all the major players now on board, and a decent universal search feature. Youview tantalisingly promises the same with a decent search feature, but has failed so far to bring all the major Apps/players on board. All the more frustrating as it only needs 2 and half more apps to do this (Amazon, Youtube, Full NowTv), plus Ted Talks app as a sweetener.  

As someone who has stubbornly refused buying extra devices, waiting out of principle, and a loyalty to the Youview ideal, I must confess my resolve is starting to break. Youview has been around for 4 years now, and we still don't have all the major players. We continue to have a pathetic crippled Now tv, and a not quite right "jerky vision" Netflix, without 5.1 surround. I have to ask myself why am I holding out? Is it time I gave up on the principle of having one integrated tv box for all the streaming services?

Youview does a lot brilliantly. All the major UK catch players are there in a nice easy to use interface. Backwards EPG is great. Search is good. BBC continue to innovate on the platform(and cross platform) with their apps and BBC iplayer beta. Theres lots I dig about Youview. But there has been no progress on fixing the "broken apps", or introducing the missing ones to the platform, and for all we know they may never introduce these apps, or fix the ones they already have. I've been waiting year after year with high expectations for Youview, convinced that fixes to apps, and new popular players were just round the corner, but I'm still waiting.

Hi Joe - I think deep down you probably know the answer here :)

There is of course nothing wrong with wishing YouView would deliver more, nor being disappointed that it so far does not.

As is said above by Visionman, and is often said elsewhere on this community, one needs to accept what a product is now and not buy or wait indefinitely based on what it might be at some point in the future. In the meantime for what you cannot get from one device you can no doubt get it in many other ways and it then becomes a choice of exactly what gaps you want to fill and how efficiently (both in terms of number of devices and cost) you can do that.

So a Roku 3 may very well be a worthwhile purchase (not the cheapest option but offering a wide selection of content with a good interface and search which may then mean together with the YouView box you are very well served with two main devices). Equally depending on what content you wish to access (that the YouView box does not) there are no doubt various other possibly cheaper cheerful options that may do sufficiently well for now too :)
    edited April 2016
    Joe2 said:

Hi Keith. Thanks for that. I do agree that you should buy a product for what it does now, rather then what it might do. Thats how I regard these streaming boxes like Roku.  Having said that I think many of us from the Youview trial days, still hold out for the next improvement/new player, and many still hold that ideal of Youview as the answer to all streaming services + freeview TV. A view encouraged by Youview .

I remember when Youview was launched, Alan Sugar stated that this is not the finished article, just the bare bones, and that consumers should expect more to come. So in some ways we were sold Youview on a promise, and next generation TV idealism. For all the criticism here, Youview should be pleased that there are fans who care, and perhaps share their aspirations.

New players aside,  we have actually been promised by Youview fixes to the missing parts of Nowtv, which still haven't materialised. We should at least expect them to fix the players that they already have. As time goes on the Nowtv debacle seems increasingly pathetic. I'm only mentioning all this because I like Youview and want to see them succeed, but they just don't seem to be willing to fix things.  Netflix has jerky vision, and no 5.1 surround,  which surely must be an annoyance for a big player like Netflix who probably pays a premium to be on the Youview platform, and prides themselves on delivering a quality experience.

I have to commend Roku for being the first to offer all the major players in one package. Its pretty much what everyone in contemporary TV desires, all within a universal search umbrella.  Apple Tv is another premium contender, and would suite me as i use their phones, but they don't have Amazon. So maybe I'll finally pull the trigger on a Roku, after all they're the first across the line with the complete streaming package.

It will be sad to be using the Youview box less though.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

I can't understand why there is suddenly this 'new' review of the Roku 3 when it has been out for ages, and what we are all waiting for (or not, as the case may be) is the Roku 4.

I have a Roku 3, but since it can't record, or play live TV, or even play media in many of the more common formats, it is very much a gap-filler in a place where the YouView box, an Apple TV, an Amazon Firestick and a Chinese no-name media player leave only a very narrow gap :-)
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited April 2016
    Joe2 said:

That' a good point it has been out for a while. I take it that you don't find as much as a revelation as the reviewer particulay compared with using Youview streaming apps?
    One negative I've read is that the Roku boxes only output in American 60hz, which could result in "jerky vision" for British/European pal content which is 50hz. It's the same problem but in reverse that affects Netflix on Youview.
    In contrast Apple TV can switch between 50hz and 60hz.
    edited April 2016
    Joe2 said:

Roy - I do apologise we've been here before with these comparisons, and for that matter the Roku 2 & 3. Although admitedly they now have Amazon instant video in there line up.  Heres your excellent post which makes some very helpful comparisons of the various streaming products:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/youview-dtr-t2000-vs-new-roku-streaming-box?topic-reply...
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

One has to wonder when we might ever see a Roku 4 for the UK market? It is perhaps even more tantalising than the 'promise/potential' of YouView in that a new model with additional features does exist that looks good, yet it is not available here nor is there a clear date when it will be :(

For me the Roku 3 is not a huge draw since on-demand is something I use primarily to fill in or access content not available to record, so for me my preferred approach remains to record everything I can and hence be as in control as possible, I can then fill gaps from occasional clashed recordings via the YouView box on-demand players, and only have to resort to other devices (such as the smart TV itself or perhaps some other connected device) when I need to go beyond that and the few other YouView based players say to Amazon Video or NowTV etc.

My impression, Joe, based on your interesting insights and comments on other topics, is you have much more embraced on-demand content  even when you could probably have recorded it. As such I can see how a Roku or other fill in device has more practical potential for you. I would expect if you obtained a Roku 3 you would be pleased with it but also be (understandably) wishing you had been able to buy a Roku 4 :)
    edited April 2016
    Joe2 said:

Yes strange that that Roku 3 review popped up now, the product has to be 2 years old now?

Part of me thinks why should I have to buy an extra streaming device just to add 1 or 2 players. There's some good content on both Amazon and Nowtv that I'd like to dip into every now and then, but spending an extra £50 to £100 just for an occasional habit seems a bit excessive for light viewing. Despite what my posts here may reflect, there are other more pressing priorities :)
    There would be more justification to occasionally watch these services if they were " just there" on Youview. But I guess we've all talked this one to death already on these forums. Perhaps time to focus on other things. Cheers Keith
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Joe2 said:

If you look at the review it was updated recently (maybe to include a few references to Roku 4). So the original review has been around for awhile.
    edited April 2016
    Joe2 said:

That makes more sense, I guess its also had a few updates since it was orginally released
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited May 2016
    Joe2 said:

Interesting discussion. I'd say Youview are very lucky to have a forum with such honest feedback. From a Youview point of view the competition is really ratcheting up, with most of the streaming competitors releasing new gear.

I think it's it's worrying & sad for Youview that some people here prefer using the apps on competitors devices. The less time spent using the equivalent app on Youview, the easier it becomes to leave the platform altogether. It also means less incentive for apps to stay or join the platform.

Why are people using the equivalent Youview apps on competing devices?

1. Ease of access - one click to find apps
    2. Speed of access and navigation
    3. Better functionality ( no Netflix 5.1 surround, half a nowtv app)
    4. Greater selection of apps - Amazon, full nowtv, YouTube, blinkbox , Ted, plex lists goes on.

If I get to the point where I have to use an extra device for the above reasons, then I fear that the relevance of the Youview platform to me will be greatly lessened. Which would sadden me as it promises to be the best platform with the best integration of TV services. With less relevance it will be more likely that in the future I may use a combination of devices which doesn't include Youview.

I really hope that the Youview team pay close attention to all this valuable feedback, Youview needs to stay ahead of the game to keep relevant in a fast changing TV landscape.

Since I'm with TalkTalk - I can search for content that is on Sky via the EPG and the search facility, but then watch it on Now TV.  See my post below for more on this.
    edited May 2016
    I've returned to Youview, leaving Sky after 2 years, but getting Now TV as well. One reason for doing so is the excellent integrated, backwards EPG and search facility of Youview.  I also have Fire TV stick for Netflix and Amazon Prime.

For me, Youview will be my main go-to box, except when I specifically want to watch a box-set or movie.  I can use the Youview box to search for programming and browse the EPG - and since I'm with TalkTalk - that search includes the live channels present on Now TV.  So if after browsing or searching it's not on Youview but is on Now TV (because I'm not subscribing via TalkTalk), then I simply switch to my Now TV box.  If there is a something I'd like to watch on Netflix - then it's already there on the Youview box.  If it's film or something else for which Dolby 5.1 is important, I can then switch to my Fire TV stick instead.

(Note I would have subscibed to Sky on TalkTalk for £5 per month, if only they offered multi-room - as it stands, Now TV is multiroom, so better value for money since I'm only paying £3pm for it.)

I considered getting a Roku - but their latest boxes don't seem to be released in the UK, and the functionality and content is crippled in comparison to the USA.  After reading reviews, testing Roku Now TV boxes and comparing functionality, usability and performance, the Fire TV stick seems far better than Roku.  If only it included Now TV!   The Fire TV stick is also more flexible than Roku, since it has various android apps, especially Kodi, not relying on restrictive Roku supported apps.
    edited May 2016
    Joe2 said:

Roku has universal search - but that can't include live channels,and I don't know if it includes catchup players?  So for me, the search facility on Youview is better than Roku.  If only Youview included Amazon Prime!  

As suggested in my post below, for me, especially when purchased at a discount, Fire TV alongisde an existing Youview box is a much better value proposition than Roku.  Now if Roku fully enabled all content and functionality that is currently USA only, along with voice search and, was able to provide Freeview channels with a backwards EPG and 5.1 surround sound, then I'd probably jump ship.  But I can't see that happening.  Even then, the Roku interface and performance of Netflix and Amazon Prime isn't yet as good as Fire TV (from what I read).