Returned to Youview

Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM in Archived Posts
Still think Youview is best (at least for me)!

Comments

• tlotlo Member Posts: 18
    edited 11 May 2016, 7:17PM
    it is for me as well, a few more hd channels would be nice but you never know
  • Adrian Wood1Adrian Wood1 Member Posts: 235
    edited 13 May 2016, 10:17AM
    I was one of the early adopters for Youview via TalkTalk - though I upgraded before long to a DTR-T2100 box.  I was quite busy on this forum and even visited the Youview team in London.  When I moved  house, for various reasons, I dropped Youview for Sky TV.  That was 2 years ago.  Initially I was quite skeptical about Youview - but it does seem to me at present to be better than ever (with the exception of the lack of full Now TV support and the lack of an Amazon Prime app), and pretty responsive.  

I've also had years of experience of other competing devices, including standard Freeview HD and Freesat HD, Freesat with Freetime, WDTV Live, Fire-TV stick and Now TV boxes.

I have decided to drop Sky (too expensive),  and return to Youview.  I could get most of what I want from Sky on Now TV for as little as £3 per month, leaving spare cash for a subscription to Netflix (I also have Amazon Prime Video at half price).

So I've spent a long hard look at the various options, channels available and usability - and for me Youview came back out on top.  That's chiefily because of its usability.  The search facility is excellent, second to none.  Roku's universal search is almost as good, but doesn't include live channels (and catchup?).  No other device, including the  latest Humax Freetime HDR-1000S offer such a well integrated and easy to use EPG.  

For me, being with TalkTalk is particularly helpful because I get a few free Sky channels, and the ability to search and browse the EPG including Sky channels, so I can switch to my Now TV box if the content I want to watch is not on one of the free channels from TalkTalk. The fact that Netflix and all the catchup content is included in seach is excellent; as is the deep integration that allows a programme found via search or from the backwards EPG to be immediately watched and when it's finished you are returned back to where you were in the EPG rather than having to navigate out of the catchup player or Netflix app.  No other platform provides this deep integration as far as I'm aware - certainly Now TV boxes don't, so I expect Roku wouldn't either.

It just make the box so much easier to use, consistent and well integrated than any other alternative.  I want to be able to simply choose and watch content, and for me,  the Youview box does this best.  For this reason, I'd prefer a single box to do it all in a fully integrated manner - live channels, catchup, netflix, now TV and Amazon prime  - so that's the one downside to Youview . but then, so far, no other single box does it all either, not even Roku.  

Channel wise, for me, with the exception of music channels, Freeview provides a better set of channels (especially HD channels) than Freesat.  The new Freeview Play is interesting,but it seems to be in its infancy at the moment with too many problems and lack of consistency between devices.

So it's back to Youview (well alongside Now TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime) for me!
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    Thanks for taking the time to write this Adrian - it's always good to hear different perspectives and the different setups people have. Welcome back, anyway!
  • Paul-nLynne O'FlynnPaul-nLynne O'Flynn Member Posts: 25
    edited 19 March 2017, 9:46PM
    We love our box, only had it less than a year so far..very disappointed
     in the remote, one side of it has gone. I want to take it back but they want the whole thing back and we have so much recorded.:(
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 10:55PM

in the remote, one side of it has gone. I want to take it back but they want the whole thing back and we have so much recorded.:(

You could either get a replacement remote, or you can plug a USB keyboard in if you have one spare / from your computer to use the box without a remote?
    edited 12 May 2016, 10:54AM

Now that sounds interesting, usb keyboard, we have one already downstairs for the comp. Didn't know the box took anything like that. As for replacing the remote it's under a year old so they should replace that...but like I said the shop want the whole thing back which is crazy as it's the remote that's faulty.
    edited 12 May 2016, 10:59AM

If you bought some sort of universal remote, at least you might get something that replaces multiple remotes for your money.  Personally I use a Harmony Smart Control - they're great but a bit expensive - it works well for me because I have quite a few boxes to connect to and a TV and AV receiver to control.
    edited 12 May 2016, 11:02AM

one of these? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-2015-Harmony-Companion/dp/B014GXQ3S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...
  • Adam_TAdam_T Member Posts: 62
    edited 12 May 2016, 7:58PM
    Agreed; i tried to just use a cobbled together setup of a Raspberry Pi with freesat hd & freeview hd tuners for a few weeks to see if i could decomission my Youview and Freesat boxes and as nice as it was, i missed the Youview UI and search facility which i think is by far the best on the market!
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 May 2016, 10:25AM

I was one of the early adopters for Youview via TalkTalk - though I upgraded before long to a DTR-T2100 box.  I was quite busy on this forum and even visited the Youview team in London.  When I moved  house, for various reasons, I dropped Youview for Sky TV.  That was 2 years ago.  Initially I was quite skeptical about Youview - but it does seem to me at present to be better than ever (with the exception of the lack of full Now TV support and the lack of an Amazon Prime app), and pretty responsive.  

I've also had years of experience of other competing devices, including standard Freeview HD and Freesat HD, Freesat with Freetime, WDTV Live, Fire-TV stick and Now TV boxes.

I have decided to drop Sky (too expensive),  and return to Youview.  I could get most of what I want from Sky on Now TV for as little as £3 per month, leaving spare cash for a subscription to Netflix (I also have Amazon Prime Video at half price).

So I've spent a long hard look at the various options, channels available and usability - and for me Youview came back out on top.  That's chiefily because of its usability.  The search facility is excellent, second to none.  Roku's universal search is almost as good, but doesn't include live channels (and catchup?).  No other device, including the  latest Humax Freetime HDR-1000S offer such a well integrated and easy to use EPG.  

For me, being with TalkTalk is particularly helpful because I get a few free Sky channels, and the ability to search and browse the EPG including Sky channels, so I can switch to my Now TV box if the content I want to watch is not on one of the free channels from TalkTalk. The fact that Netflix and all the catchup content is included in seach is excellent; as is the deep integration that allows a programme found via search or from the backwards EPG to be immediately watched and when it's finished you are returned back to where you were in the EPG rather than having to navigate out of the catchup player or Netflix app.  No other platform provides this deep integration as far as I'm aware - certainly Now TV boxes don't, so I expect Roku wouldn't either.

It just make the box so much easier to use, consistent and well integrated than any other alternative.  I want to be able to simply choose and watch content, and for me,  the Youview box does this best.  For this reason, I'd prefer a single box to do it all in a fully integrated manner - live channels, catchup, netflix, now TV and Amazon prime  - so that's the one downside to Youview . but then, so far, no other single box does it all either, not even Roku.  

Channel wise, for me, with the exception of music channels, Freeview provides a better set of channels (especially HD channels) than Freesat.  The new Freeview Play is interesting,but it seems to be in its infancy at the moment with too many problems and lack of consistency between devices.

So it's back to Youview (well alongside Now TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime) for me!

Yes I agree that the deeply integrated nature of Youview is what sets it apart from other platforms, including freeviewplay.

Without platforms like Youview bringing everything together under a single umbrella we'd have a very fragmented television experience.

Beyond search and discover, I think Youview could continue to bring improvements to its integrated experience. For instance having a single destination where you could view (links to )your purchased content from all providers on the platform. An equivalent of Myview but for purchases.
    edited 13 May 2016, 10:17AM

Good point, I like that!
    edited 13 May 2016, 10:18AM

That's the newer upgraded version of the smart control, with a remote control that has extras buttons for controlling things like automated lighting etc and better placement of the pause, play, rewind etc buttons.  

I purchased the older version, for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-Harmony-Smart-Control-Universal-Remote-Control-/322100292883?hash...

Unfortunately it's not available at that sort of price form Amazon now, because it is superceded by the Harmony Companion.

The companion is better, but unless you want the extra home automation buttons, I'd question if it is worth paying an extra £50 or so just to get the playback buttons in a better position.  Just a point about this though, whilst you can get used to the position of the playback buttons on the older control, sometime, I hit the activity buttons by mistake because they are just above the playback buttons, which is certainly a nuisance.

One thing - this is the only remote I've ever purchased (including other Harmony remotes) that my family have universally liked.  Even my wife was so impressed that she has been telling others about it - she's not into technology so that's not something she normally does - but she just loves this remote.  It feels solid, fits nicely in the hand, and the best thing is you don't have to point it at what you're controlling (because it uses radio wave).  The benefit of that is that you when starting an activity, the remote might have to send numerous commands - with normal remotes if you don't keep pointing it for a few seconds, it can fail to do what it needs to - and everything gets messed up.  With this one, you just press the activity button - you don't even have to pick the remote up!  It can also control devices that use bluetooth / radio instead of infra-red remotes, like Fire TV and presumably some of the latest Rokus.   It also sends the command sequences quicker than other Harmony remotes, so things just work more quickly and more smoothly.  Truly excellent, and yet cheaper than many other Harmony remotes!  The only downside is the lack of buttons.  Some buttons double up - press it for one command, hold it down for another.   In use it hasn't caused a problem though, and it makes for a remote that is nicer to handle and less cumbersome.  I really dislike the touchscreens on many Harmony remotes, and they also make them more fragile, easy to break, unlike this.  By shopping around on ebay I managed to get some spare remotes for about £15 each, in case this does ever stop working.  (The full package includes remote, hub and emitters).
    edited 13 May 2016, 10:34AM

It does, however, help if you're a bit of a geek so can understand how to fix any issues that might arise, and how to set up the control in the best way.  There are always people like me on this and the Harmony forum that will help though.  Though there technical support is usually good and responsive.